This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Homemade marinara is a thick, rich and savory sauce made from a blend of stewed tomatoes with herbs and spices. Make a delicious batch of sauce all from pantry ingredients in less than 15 minutes!
The Easiest Homemade Marinara
Get ready to NEVER buy store bought marinara sauce ever again! This marinara will not only wow you with its flavor but it is SO easy to make! Fall in love with this simple recipe that is fresh and can be made year round. Simple ingredients right from the pantry and a beyond-easy recipe is what this marinara is made of!
It’s a good thing this homemade marinara is so easy to make, my kids go through so much of it. We always have it on hand for leftover pasta, dipping breadsticks in, or even using it for homemade pizza! This marinara sauce is so versatile and works for so many recipes. The taste is amazing and the smell in your kitchen- well, everyone will be thanking you for that! It is so good and makes two full mason jars worth. Such a fun way to save time and money plus the benefits of having fresh homemade sauce right at your fingertips! All you need now is your favorite pasta cooked to al dente perfection.
Marinara Sauce Ingredients:
Pantry staples and all ingredients you have on hand! It is that simple and easy to make. This marinara sauce is a tried and true recipe that will keep you from needing any more marinara from the store. All homemade, rich flavorful ingredients blended together making this a one of a kind sweet and savory sauce!
- Olive Oil: For sautéing the onions in. If you prefer butter that will work too!
- Yellow Onion: Finely dice the onion and sauté it. A yellow onion has a very strong flavoring compared to a white onion.
- Stewed Tomatoes: Make this simple with a can of stewed tomatoes. It’s best to purchase a good quality that has less acidity and is a little sweeter.
- Tomato Paste: A thick paste that adds more flavor and also adjusts the consistency of the marinara.
- Italian Seasoning: All of my favorite herbs blended together in one bottle!
- Garlic Cloves: Add in whole garlic cloves and watch them blend perfectly in the food processor or blender.
- Salt and Pepper: Just a pinch of each!
- Sugar: Sweeten the sauce with a little white sugar. Feel free to adjust to taste.
- Chicken Broth: Liquid flavoring! If you don’t have chicken broth water will also work, but your sauce may not be as flavorful.
Homemade Marinara Sauce Recipe
Forget the store-bought stuff and make this sauce in less than 15 minutes. It’s so simple to make and never lasts long. If any of your favorite Italian recipes call for red sauce, this is seriously the way to go.
- Sauté Onions: In a medium-sized saucepan over medium high heat add the olive oil and onions. Saute until tender.
- Blend Together: In a food processor or blender add the stewed tomatoes, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, garlic, salt, pepper and sugar. Pulse until smooth.
- Cook On the Stove: Add to onions in the saucepan and add chicken broth. Then sauté for 10 minutes to let the flavors blend.
Mix and add in ingredients to make this homemade marinara sauce your own. You’re going to LOVE the sweet and savory flavor this marinara has to offer!
- Tomatoes: When blending the tomatoes together, keep the tomatoes chunky or blended smooth depending on your preference.
- Onions: Chop or mince them however you prefer. That’s one of the great things about making homemade sauce is that you can control just what the texture is like.
- Make it Spicy: Add in red pepper flakes or sriracha sauce while blending together.
- Add Herbs: Fresh rosemary, sage, thyme and even oregano add in intense, aromatic flavors you will love.
- Add Cheese: Stir in 1 cup of freshly grated parmesan cheese into the sauce right before serving. This will make it nice and cheesy. Just make sure it is freshly grated because powdered parmesan is full of preservatives that keep it from melting as well.
- Make it Creamy: For a creamier rose color sauce, add in 1 cup of heavy cream or half and half.
Ways to Use Homemade Marinara
This sauce is meant for so many recipes and will be a new hit with your family. It’s the best addition to all of your favorite Italian recipes!
- Pasta: The classic and simple dishes like spaghetti, ziti or lasagna are always a family favorite.
- Meat: Add this sauce to Italian meatballs, chicken parmesan, (or eggplant parmesan) sausage tomato gnocchi or any meal that asks for marinara sauce.
- Soups: Pasta e Fagioli is another one of my favorites! This homemade marinara sauce is perfect for adding straight into the pot.
- Pizza: Spread it over homemade dough and add all your favorite toppings.
- Dipping Sauce: Use this for dipping breadsticks, mozzarella cheese sticks, baked ravioli or stuffed pizza bites. Game night just got better with this amazing dipping sauce.
- Sandwiches: A meatball sandwich or sliders is the perfect kid friendly-lunch!
Storing Marinara Sauce
Storing is just as easy as making it! Let it cool completely before you transfer it to an airtight container. You can even freeze this sauce and have it on hand whenever needed!
- Refrigerate: Keep your homemade marinara sauce stored in the refrigerator, sealed in a jar or airtight container for 5 to 7 days.
- Can you freeze marinara sauce? Yes! This sauce is great for freezing. Store in tightly sealed jars in the freezer for up to 3 months. The sauce may expand as it freezes, so don’t overfill your jars.
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Easiest Homemade Marinara
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.