Slow Cooker Pasta e Fagioli Soup is loaded with pasta bites, vegetables, beans and lean ground beef making this a rich and hearty Italian soup. A perfect, comforting soup for Fall!
Italians know just the way to my heart! If you love a good Italian soup, try this Creamy Zuppa Toscana, Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup (Olive Garden Copycat) or Classic Italian Wedding Soup.
Slow Cooker Pasta e Fagioli
Today I am sharing one of my favorite soups: Pasta e Fagioli.
This is comfort food at it’s best. Super hearty, meaty, thick Italian soup loaded with veggies, meat and beans.
Best of all this soup is made in a slow cooker. That means little to no prep time and lots of flavor.
This soup simmers low and slow for 8 hours!
Let the slow cooker do all the work while you relax and enjoy the aroma in your home.
What you need to make pasta e fagioli
So many ingredients but so much flavor in all of them!
You will love the combination of vegetables to beans and pasta.
This is a thick, rich and hearty soup that is loved by all.
Every bite is loaded with lean meat, vegetables, beans and pasta.
You can’t go wrong enjoying this soup during the fall season.
- Extra virgin olive oil: adds a hint of seasoning and liquid in the mix.
- Ground beef: the leaner the better.
- Carrots: freshly peeled and sliced. Can carrots are little too mushy when simmering for a long period of time.
- Celery stalks: sliced and diced to your preference.
- Onion: I like to dice these up a little smaller for kids.
- Crushed tomatoes: canned are best and some cans have extra seasonings which adds more flavor.
- Beef broth: flavor that is in the liquid.
- Bay leaves: always a fun seasoning to add into soups.
- Oregano: brings more aromatic seasoning to the soup.
- Dried basil: a little peppery but has a strong and sweet smell and taste.
- Dried thyme: subtle and a little dry.
- Salt and pepper: to taste (I added 1 tsp salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper)
- Cannelloni beans: drained and rinsed
- Red kidney beans: drained and rinsed
- Ditalini pasta: uncooked pasta that is added at the end.
How to make pasta e fagioli
This soup takes just a bit of prep time and is super easy to throw together.
I like to brown the meat for extra flavor and throw it into the slow cooker with the rest of the ingredients.
I like to add in the pasta and beans about 30 minutes before serving. This ensures they are tender but not soggy.
Serve it with a hot, fresh perfect soft and buttery roll for a great dinner meal!
- Brown Ground Beef: Add olive oil to a large skillet and add in ground beef. Cook until browned and no longer pink.
- Combine all Ingredients: Place the beef in a slow cooker along with the rest of the ingredients except for the beans and pasta.
- Cook on Low: Cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours. 30 minutes before serving stir in beans and pasta.
- Ready to serve: Season with salt and pepper to taste. Discard bay leaves before serving.
- It is best if it is hot: Serve immediately while hot.
What to serve with pasta e fagioli
Soup can be made into so many meals.
Before your main dish, as your main dish or a side to your main dish!
So many options. With all these options a classic side salad and breadsticks are always a MUST.
We love to dip our breadsticks in the soup and enjoy the broth just as much as we love the vegetables and combined ingredients.
- 20 Minute Italian Bread Twists
- Italian Avocado Cucumber Tomato Salad
- Homemade Bread Twists
- Farro Caprese Salad
- 30 Minute Asiago Cheese Roll
The difference between Minestrone soup and Pasta e Fagioli soup
The main difference between minestrone soup and pasta e Fagioli soup is the meat and the thickness.
Minestrone leaves out ground beef and has a thiner consistency.
They each have the same vegetables but pasta e fagioli has a few more and different variety. More beans are added in and not added into the minestrone soup.
Minestrone soup has a thinner consistency where as the pasta e fagioli has a thicker, richer flavoring.
Here are more soup recipes to try
- Creamy Pumpkin Soup
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Beef Barley Soup
- Crockpot Taco Soup
- Creamy Chicken Broccoli Soup
Slow Cooker Pasta e Fagioli Soup
Slow Cooker Pasta e Fagioli Soup is a rich, hearty and loaded with veggies and meat. A perfect, comforting soup for Fall!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 whole carrots diced
- 4 celery stalks diced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cans 14.5 ounces each beef broth
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper to taste I added 1 tsp salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can 15 ounces cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can 15 ounces red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup ditalini pasta uncooked
Add olive oil to a large skillet and add in ground beef. Cook until browned and no longer pink.
Place the beef in a slow cooker along with the rest of the ingredients except for the beans and pasta.
Cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours. 30 minutes before serving stir in beans and pasta.
Season with salt and pepper to taste. Discard bay leaves before serving.
Serve immediately while hot.
Updated on October 22, 2019
Original Post on October 23, 2015
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.