The BEST Classic Lasagna Ever has layers of sautéed ground beef and Italian sausage that are cooked together, sweet tomato sauce, Italian seasoning all layered with lasagna noodles then covered in ricotta cheese and a parmesan mixture all sprinkled with mozzarella cheese for a mouthwatering baked Italian dinner. Layers of deliciousness!
You know it is going to be good when it is the BEST! This classic lasagna has all the flavor and all the parts to it. Layers and layers of cheese, meat and tomato sauce. You can’t go wrong with that!
Double the meat with both ground beef and Italian sausage. This will give you that extra flavoring from the Italian sausage but also the classic taste from the ground beef. Oh. SO. Good!! Tomato paste and tomato sauce are perfect combination for adding thickness, rich color and bringing in all the flavoring. Thick, wide lasagna noodles separates each layer and adds that soft buttery taste to the lasagna recipe.
Three cheese blend is just what you need to complete this lasagna layering. When cutting into this lasagna just know that it is hot and cheesy in every bite. This is the perfect family meal that is loved by all!
What You Need to Make The BEST Classic Lasagna Ever
Don’t be alarmed when you see the ingredient list. This is just all flavoring, extra meat, more thickness and rich Italian blended flavors layered together. You will want every ingredient on this list! It is a MUST!
Each ingredient has its own flavor, richness and part in the layering on this lasagna. This classic lasagna recipe is just what a cold winter day needs. It will warm your family right up! Classic lasagna comes together quickly and easily. Everything is made under 20 minutes before baking it in the oven!
- Olive oil: used for cooking the ground beef.
- Onion: added flavoring with the ground beef.
- Ground beef: sauté in a pan over medium heat until it is cooked through.
- Italian sausage: sautéed with ground beef for more meat and flavoring.
- Tomato sauce: has a sweetness and layers well with this tomato sauce.
- Tomato paste: gives it more thickness and rich tomato taste.
- Italian seasoning: brings the authenticity into the lasagna.
- Sugar: adds some sweetness for the tomato sauce and paste.
- Basil: flavorful seasoning
- Lasagna noodles: long, wide noodles that look like sheets.
- Ricotta cheese and Parmesan: mixed together making a spread over the noodles.
- Egg: aids in making a creamy sauce with the mixed cheeses.
- Mozzarella cheese: layered over top for extra melted cheese.
How to Make The BEST Classic Lasagna Ever
So simple! This classic lasagna recipe comes together quickly and easily. Simply sauté your meats together then add your tomato bases and seasonings. During this time you can also cook lasagna noodles until tender in boiling water. Once cooked set aside and combine ricotta cheese, parmesan and egg together. This will make a paste like cheese mixture to spread over the noodles.
Spray your pan and start layering with meats, tomato sauce and cheeses. Lastly, bake it all together and watch as the layers cook through and the cheese melts beautifully over top. A little bubbly cheese is the best part of this lasagna! You can’t go wrong with this favorite family recipe that we love SO much! Make this a complete meal with a side salad, Christmas Fruit Salad, Garlic Butter String Beans and 20 Minutes Italian Bread Twists.
- Sauté meat then simmer with bases and seasonings: In a large skillet over medium high heat add the olive oil and onion. Sauté until tender and add the ground beef and sausage. Cook and crumble until brown and cooked throughout. Add crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, sugar, and basil. Let simmer on low heat.
- Cook lasagna noodles: In a large pot, bring the water to a boil. Add the lasagna noodles and cook for 8-10 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water.
- Mix cheeses together: In medium sized bowl add the ricotta cheese, parmesan, and egg. Mix until incorporated.
- Prepare oven and pan: Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray a 9×13 inch pan with non stick spray and set aside.
- Layering lasagna: To make the lasagna start by spreading 1 cup of the meat sauce on the bottom. Arrange the noodles in a single layer over the meat sauce. Spread ½ cup of the ricotta cheese, on top of the noodles followed by shredded mozzarella cheese. Repeat the layers and top with cheese.
- Cover and bake: Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake and additional 20-25 minutes or until it is heated throughout and cheese is bubbly. Let it cool for 10 minutes before serving.
The BEST Classic Lasagna Variations
Customizing lasagna is fun and brings in more flavors and richness to this classic lasagna recipe. There are many options to change or enhance this lasagna recipe. Even making this into a Texas Lasagna is always a fun way to change up your lasagna. Any way you make it, these lasagna variations are going to be delicious!
- Meat: adding more meat or substituting meat is a great blend with diced chicken, turkey or different flavors of sausage.
- Noodles: lasagna noodles are best and required for layering. There are different types of noodles though that you can get that work well for this recipe.
- Vegetables: if you are a vegetable fan, add in some mushrooms, celery, zucchini, bell peppers or carrots for texture.
- Seasonings: Oregano, thyme and even red pepper flakes for home added heat will bring out the Italian side too.
- Cheese: substitute the cheeses with fontina, provolone or Colby Jack. Too much cheese will be a little too cheesy and won’t bake as well.
- Vegetarian: skip the meat and add in spinach, kale or escarole to have a vegetarian lasagna.
Tips for Making The BEST Classic Lasagna Ever
Make the BEST lasagna ever with these quick and simple tips to help you make this lasagna recipe even easier.
There are a few substitutions and variations that you can use throughout this lasagna recipe.
It is one of the best and is a great way to enjoy lasagna.
Learn how to make it in a slow cooker or even smaller versions for the kids.
Here is a great way to make lasagna in a smaller version and kids love these Petite Lasagnas.
This lasagna recipe is a tried and true favorite that won’t be beat!
Enjoy all the tips and have the BEST lasagna dish on your table within an hour!
- Add an egg! Add an egg to your ricotta cheese and parmesan mixture. This will help it create a rich sauce that spreads evenly.
- Noodles: No boil noodles work great for this lasagna recipe.
- Cheese: For best results, freshly shredded cheese is best but a pre-shredded cheese will work as well. Pre-shredded cheeses usually have flour in them that makes it hard to melt together evenly.
- Whole milk cheese: Whole milk ricotta and mozzarella cheese is best for flavor and richness. If you need to make this low-fat try using skim versions of these cheeses.
- Tomato paste substitute: If you do not have the mixture of tomato paste and sauce try using Mariana sauce.
- Slow cooker: This lasagna recipe can be made into a slow cooker if you would like. Simply follow the recipe until layering in the pan. Layer in the slow cooker instead. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours with the lid. Remove lid at the end and spread more cheese over top to melt on.
Storing The BEST Classic Lasagna Ever
Storing your lasagna couldn’t be easier!
Either store it fresh, baked or frozen.
This BEST classic lasagna ever is the best either way and can be savored even longer.
Enjoy this comforting meal time after time in your home with loved ones.
- How to make lasagna ahead of time: This lasagna recipe is perfect for making ahead of time. Simply follow the instructions and prepare as little or as much as you would like to and need to. Sauté the meat and set it aside, add in all the seasonings, make your cheese mixture with egg. If you are planning to layer and set in the refrigerator for storing finish by boiling the noodles and layering it all together. Cover tightly and store in the refrigerator for 3 days.
- Can you freeze baked lasagna? Yes! This is perfect for freezing and does well. Simply follow the instructions and bake your lasagna. Cool completely before adding it to an airtight container or zip lock bag. Once your lasagna is cooled off, add it piece by piece to the container or bag. This will store well in the freezer for up to 1 month.
- How do you freeze uncooked lasagna? So easy! Make and prepare the ingredients in a freezer safe pan. Aluminum foil pans are best for this. Next, prepare and cook all the ingredients. Then, layer it all together. Lastly, wrap or place a lid over top the lasagna and store in the freezer for up to 1 month. When ready to bake, place frozen in the oven adding extra time.
- Reheat lasagna: When ready to bake or reheat lasagna, baking in the oven is first choice. This gives it an even melt and doesn’t over cook it. Using a microwave is a quick and fast version to reheating lasagna but still has the same great taste.
More delicious Italian recipes:
- Easy Italian Pinwheels
- Classic Italian Wedding Soup
- Italian Orzo and Sausage Skillet
- Slow Cooker Italian Chicken & Potatoes
- Creamy Tomato Italian Parmesan Chicken
The BEST Classic Lasagna Ever!
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 28 Ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 6.5 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 2 Tablespoons Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 cup sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil chopped
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 16 ounce ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup parmesan finely grated
- 1 egg
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- In a large skillet over medium high heat add the olive oil and onion. Sauté until tender and add the ground beef and sausage. Cook and crumble until brown and cooked throughout. Add crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, sugar, and basil. Let simmer on low heat.
- In a large pot, bring the water to a boil. Add the lasagna noodles and cook for 8-10 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water.
- In medium sized bowl add the ricotta cheese, parmesan, and egg. Mix until incorporated.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray a 9x13 inch pan with non stick spray and set aside.
- To make the lasagna start by spreading 1 cup of the meat sauce on the bottom. Arrange the noodles in a single layer over the meat sauce. Spread ½ cup of the ricotta cheese, on top of the noodles followed by shredded mozzarella cheese. Repeat the layers and top with cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake and additional 20-25 minutes or until it is heated throughout and cheese is bubbly. Let it cool for 10 minutes before serving.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.