All of the goodness of lasagna is packed into this hearty and delicious soup! Filled with noodles, ground beef, marinara and cheese, this is a soup that your family will love!
This soup is packed with all of the goodness of lasagna. Tender noodles, savory meat, flavor packed broth and gooey cheese.It is divine! Both soup and lasagna are classic comfort foods and I’ve combined them into the ultimate mega comfort dish, Lasagna Soup! Perfect for a chilly day or day where you just need a little bit of extra love. This is a hug in a bowl.
Your family will love this twist on the classic and it’s super simple. It’s almost impossible to mess up. And one of the best parts about Italian food in general is it tastes even better the second day after all the flavors meld together. It’s a perfect homemade meal.
Lasagna is classic homey comfort food that everyone loves. Putting it in soup form is absolutely irresistible!
- Lasagna Noodles: Break up the noodles into bite sized pieces
- Oil:Olive Oil is a classic in Italian cooking
- Onion: Chopped
- Ground Beef or Sausage: Whichever one you prefer
- Garlic: I like to use fresh but in a pinch jarred garlic will work too.
- Oregano: This is must spice in lasagna
- Tomato Paste: Adds richness and depth to the tomato flavor
- Chicken Broth:Can use beef too.
- Crushed Tomatoes: If you want bigger chunks you can use diced tomatoes, but I like them small.
- Chopped Fresh Basil: Fresh basil add such a nice bright flavor
- Grated Parmesan: Parmesan adds a nice briny salty tang
- Heavy cream or Half and Half:Either one will add the nice creaminess to the broth
Putting Lasagna Soup Together
- Boil: Cook the lasagna noodles according to the directions and drain, drizzle with a bit of olive oil to prevent sticking.
- Sauté: n a large pot add 1 Tablespoon of oil and suge the onion till softens.
- Cook: Add the ground meat, garlic, oregano and cook till meat is brown and cooked through. Add the tomato paste and stir for 2 min.
- Simmer: Pour in the chicken broth, tomatoes and a cup of water, cover and bring to simmer. Uncover and cook, till slightly reduced about 10 min. Stir in the noodles, basil, parmesan and heavy cream, heat through about 2 min.
- Garnish: Top with more fresh basil, ricotta and parmesan if desired.
Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Lasagna Soup
- Noodles: I cook the noodles separate to keep them from getting overly cooked and mushy. Add the noodles to the soup right before serving. The soup can sit on the stove for a while simmering, but don’t add the noodles till right at the end.
- Cook in the Soup: You can cook the noodles in the soup, add them once you bring the broth to a simmer. Add 1 extra cup of water to make up for what the noodles will absorb.
- Meat: Use your favorite type of meat here. Italian sausage, spicy sausage or ground pork, turkey, chicken and beef all will work in this recipe.
- Cheese: Feel free to add different cheeses to garnish. Romano, asiago, or mozzarella are all favorites.
- Mix up the Pasta: Don’t have lasagna noodles? Don’t fret, you can use any type of pasta to make this soup. Use whatever you have on hand.
Storing Lasagna Soup
- Separate: If you know you’re going to have leftovers keep your noodles separate from the rest of the soup so that the noodles don’t soak up extra broth and become super soft and mushy. Store the soup and pasta in separate containers in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
- Freeze: Lasagna soup also freezes well. Again store the soup and noodles separately in freezer safe containers for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight
- Reheat: Warm up the soup in a saucepan on the stove over medium heat. Once heated thru you can stir in the noodles and heat thoroughly, about 5-10 min.
More Lasagna Inspiration
Lasagna in any form is a hearty comfort food. Try these extraordinary twists on the classic.
- 8 ounces lasagna noodles broken into pieces (about 10 noodles)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil plus more for drizzling
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 pound ground beef or sausage
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can crushed tomatoes 15 oz.
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil plus thinly sliced leaves for topping
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese plus more for sprinkling, optional
- 1/4 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
- Ricotta cheese for garnish
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and drizzle with a little bit of olive oil.
- In a large pot, add 1 Tablespoon olive oil and heat over medium high heat. Add the onion to cook until it starts to soften. Add the ground beef, garlic and oregano and continue to cook until the meat is brown and cooked throughout. Add the tomato noodles and continue to stir and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, tomatoes and 1 cup water; cover and bring to a simmer. Uncover and cook until slightly reduced, about 10 minutes. Stir in the noodles, basil, parmesan and heavy cream; simmer 2 more minutes.
- Serve in bowls and garnish with chopped basil, ricotta cheese, and parmesan if desired.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.