This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Savory Mushroom Gravy is rich, flavorful, and the perfect topping for steak, pork, chicken, or mashed potatoes. It’s easy to make and ready in just 20 minutes!
If you want to add some major flavor to your dinner with very little effort, this mushroom gravy recipe is a must try! Try it over your mashed potatoes or over salisbury steaks! It’s so delicious, you’ll want to pair it with a variety of meals.
The Best Mushroom Gravy Recipe
This delicious mushroom gravy is made with a wonderfully tasty onion and garlic beef broth that nestles tender mushrooms. Topped with fresh thyme and ready in about 20 minutes, it’s an incredible crowd-pleasing addition to your potatoes or hearty beef, pork, or chicken dishes.
We cannot get enough of this mushroom sauce! It’s not too thick or too thin, and so perfectly creamy and luscious thanks to the addition of butter and flour. The mushrooms have an earthy umami flavor, the sautéed onions add deep aromatic flavor and a hint of sweetness, and the beef broth gives this gravy recipe a meaty taste that’s irresistible.
Ingredients for Mushroom Gravy
This mushroom gravy recipe is great because it uses simple ingredients, most of which you probably already have in your kitchen. Note: Exact measurements can be found in the recipe card below.
- Olive Oil: For cooking the mushrooms and chopped onion.
- Mushrooms: The star of this recipe! Use fresh white, button, or Cremini mushrooms.
- Onion: Use a white or yellow onion. Keep in mind that yellow onions have a slightly sweeter more mellow taste.
- Garlic: Finely minced fresh garlic will add depth of flavor to the gravy.
- Kosher Salt & Black Pepper: Season to taste and bring out all of the deliciousness!
- Butter: Combines with the flour to add creamy, rich thickness.
- Flour: Helps the gravy thicken up nicely. All-purpose flour works just fine here.
- Beef Broth: Adds meatiness and extra flavor to the gravy. Vegetable or mushroom broth can also be used.
- Thyme: A classic herb that complements the savory flavor of this mushroom gravy.
How to Make It
So simple to make using just one pan! Get ready to create an out-of-this-world delicious mushroom gravy. Here’s the simple process:
- Sauté the Mushrooms and Onion: Add the oil to a large skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Then add the mushrooms and chopped onions and cook for 7-8 minutes or until tender.
- Season and Cook Garlic: Add the salt, pepper, and garlic and cook for an additional minute. Remove the mushrooms from the skillet and then set aside.
- Combine Butter and Flour: Returning to the same skillet, melt the butter over medium-heat. Then sprinkle in the flour whisking to create a thick paste.
- Add Beef Broth: Pour in the beef broth and whisk to combine. Continue to heat for 3-5 minutes whisking periodically until the gravy thickens.
- Combine Mushrooms With Gravy: Once thickened, add the cooked mushrooms and onions back to the gravy. Add 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce and fresh thyme. Stir to combine and then simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve: Season to taste with additional salt and pepper if needed. Enjoy over potatoes and paired with your favorite beef, pork, or chicken.
Tips & Variations
Mushroom gravy is guaranteed to take your dinner to the next level. Here are some tips, so that it’s perfection every time you make it!
- Prep Before Cooking: This recipe moves quickly. I recommend having the mushrooms, onions and garlic chopped, and all of the ingredients measured before heating your pan.
- Let the Mushrooms Caramelize: After adding the mushrooms to the pan, let them cook for about 3 minutes without stirring them. The edges will have time to caramelize making the mushrooms super flavorful.
- Make it Vegetarian: Use vegetable broth instead of beef broth to make a vegetarian and vegan version of this gravy.
- Serving Suggestions: This gravy is great served with cube steaks, flank steaks, pot roasts, roasted chicken, over pasta or with mashed potatoes!
Don’t let any of this amazing mushroom gravy go to waste! It can easily be stored and enjoyed later in a variety of different meals.
- In the Refrigerator: Store in an airtight container for 3-4 days. Reheat over the stove on medium heat when ready to serve. Or pop individual servings in the microwave and rewarm in 30 second increments until heated.
- In the Freezer: Transfer this to a freezer bag or other freezer-safe container, and store for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before you reheat it.
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Savory Mushroom Gravy
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 14 ounces mushrooms sliced ⅛” thick white, button, or Cremini
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, unsalted
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-sodium beef broth,
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Add the oil to a large skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and chopped onions and cook for 7-8 minutes or until tender.
- Add the salt, pepper, and garlic and cook for an additional minute. Remove the mushrooms from the skillet and set aside.
- Returning to the same skillet, melt the butter over medium-heat. Sprinkle in the flour whisking to create a thick paste.
- Pour in the beef broth and whisk to combine. Continue to heat for 3-5 minutes whisking periodically until the gravy thickens.
- Once thickened, add the cooked mushrooms and onions back to the gravy. Add 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce and fresh thyme. Stir to combine and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Season to taste with additional salt and pepper if needed. Enjoy over potatoes and paired with your favorite beef, pork, or chicken.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.