Cream of Mushroom Soup is a dreamy creamy soup full of delicately flavored sautéed mushrooms and herbs. If you love the taste of cream of mushroom soup, but can stand the canned version, this is for you! This is a fancy, thick, rich, restaurant worthy soup you can whip up at home in no time.
It’s a mushroom lovers soup dream come true. Serve this scrumptious soup with a side of Homemade Parker House Rolls, and some vegetables that are either Stir Fried or Air Fried for a complete yummy meal.
Creamy Mushroom Soup
Soup on a cold night, just warms the soul and this soup is no different. With buttery sauteed mushrooms and onions, then simmered in a perfectly seasoned cream sauce, it’s a mega power comfort food in a bowl. Grab a crusty loaf of bread and salad and dinner is made!
With easy to find, pantry staples, this soup is easy to make and so flavorful. The mushrooms have a great earthy savory flavor that just hits the spot. If you love mushrooms, you are going go insane over this indulgent dish.
Mushroom Soup Ingredients
- Butter: For sauteing the onion and mushrooms, add loads of flavor
- Onion: Dice the onion for best texture
- Baby Bella Mushrooms: Sliced
- Flour: For thickening
- Italian Seasoning: One of my go to blends, amazing flavors all in one spice
- Fresh Thyme: Adds an extra punch of flavor
- Garlic: Garlic and mushrooms are made to go together.
- Salt and Pepper: Add to taste but don’t under season
- Chicken Broth: Creates a mild broth
- Heavy Cream: The creaminess is divine
How to Make Cream of Mushroom Soup
This is a fairly straight-forward simple recipe to make!
- Saute: In a large pot add the butter, onion and mushrooms. Saute over medium heat till tender
- Season: Add in the flour, Italian Seasoning, thyme garlic and salt and pepper and stir until coated.
- Simmer: Add in the chicken broth and simmer over medium high heat for 5-7 min. Add in the heavy cream and let simmer for 3-5 min. more.
Tips for the Best Cream of Mushroom Soup
This is quick and easy but there are a few tips to make it even better.
- Mushrooms: I used baby bella mushrooms but you can also use cremini or white button mushrooms. Or a mixture of mushrooms works and adds a blend of flavors
- Slicing: Buy pre sliced mushrooms to save time. But if you have time slice your own. This helps make sure the mushrooms are the same thickness and will cook at the same rate. You may have to trim the pre-sliced mushrooms if some are too big.
- Cream: Heavy cream adds incredible richness, but you can substitute half and half and have excellent results.
- Saute: Don’t under saute the mushrooms. You want a deep color on the mushrooms, and caramelization. This creates the best flavor.
- Blend it: If you want a smooth creamy soup, once it’s simmered use an immersion blender or place in batches in your blender leaving the small opening on top open and covering with a paper towel and blend to desired texture.
Storing any Leftovers
If there are any leftovers, they make great lunches and other meals!
- Fridge: Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 to 5 days.
- Ideas: Reheat the soup either on the stove top or the microwave. It’s perfect served over rice or pasta or blended and stirred into casseroles for an easy meal.
- Freeze: Cream based do not usually freeze well. They can become grainy. If you want to freeze it, freeze it before adding the cream.
More Mushroom Recipes to Love
Mushrooms are a polarizing vegetable. You either love them or you don’t. If you love them, here are some amazing recipes to try!
- Easy Beef Cube Steak with the BEST Mushroom Gravy
- One Pot Creamy Chicken Mushroom Florentine
- Creamy Shrimp and Mushroom Pasta
- Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
- Honey Balsamic Garlic Mushrooms
Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 pound baby Bella mushrooms sliced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 3 garlic cloves diced
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- In a large pot add the butter, onion and mushrooms. Sauté over medium high until tender. Add in the flour, Italian seasoning, thyme, garlic and salt, pepper and stir until coated.
- Add in the chicken broth and simmer over medium high heat for 5-7 minutes. Add in the heavy cream and let simmer for 3-5 more minutes.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.