A delicious homemade version of condensed cream of chicken soup! It takes only minutes to whisk up and is such a better alternative! I get so many people commenting about using store bought condensed soups in recipes. And as a busy mom sometimes they seem like an easy alternative. I admit, I have used them in quite a few recipes here on the blog. But there has to be a better an easier way right?
Homemade is always better. And this recipe couldn’t be simpler. You whisk together some chicken broth, milk, flour, and herbs for about 5 minutes and there you have it. Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup! A much better alternative to store bought condensed soups. You can even add some pieces of chicken in there if you would like.
This recipe is perfect because it makes exactly one can of cream of chicken soup. You can always double or triple the batch but each 10.75 ounce can has roughly 1 1/3 cup of soup in it. This recipe is also great for whisking together in a pinch when you may not have a can of soup in the pantry. Either way, I think it tastes and has the same consistency as the canned stuffed only better!
Recipe adapted to taste from Mels Kitchen Cafe
Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup
A delicious homemade version of condensed cream of chicken soup! It takes only minutes to whisk up and is such a better alternative!
- 3/4 cup chicken broth low-sodium
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon parsley dried
- Pinch paprika
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- In a medium saucepan, bring the broth and the seasonings to a simmer.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and milk until incorporated and smooth.
- Slowly pour in the milk and flour mixture and whisk until it starts to thicken about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and salt and pepper to taste. Can be used immediately or stored in the fridge for a week.