I recently got an amazing new cookbook called Festive Feasts from my friend Jeni over at Bakerette. This book has all of your holiday meals covered from Halloween to Christmas. I spent days trying to decide what to make because everything in the book was delicious! From starters to desserts every part of your meal planning is covered in this cookbook. Including treats and gifts for the neighbors. I have already made four recipes in this book and can’t wait to make more!
Choosing what to make from the cookbook was a challenge! But as soon as I saw funeral potatoes, I knew that they had to make a debut on the blog. Funeral Potatoes are pretty popular here in Utah. They get their name from the Mormon church because they are typically served at a luncheon after a funeral.
These Funeral Potatoes are hands down my favorite side. EVER.
Now I have had a lot of funeral potatoes in my day and I promise that these are the BEST! The flavor is absolutely amazing. Plus they only take minutes to put together. The shredded potatoes, cheese, sour cream, onion, and garlic all come together so easily in this full of flavor casserole. But I have to say that I think the crunchy buttery cornflake topping is my favorite part. It adds such a fun crunchy texture to the top of this casserole.
You won’t be able to stop eating it. You will want to continue making this cheesy potato side dish year round. It is so good that it will instantly become a family favorite. It will be a hit at the dinner table and you will love it just as much as our family did!
The Best Funeral Potatoes
A cheesy potato casserole full of melted cheese, sour cream, onions, and garlic with a crunchy top. This is full of amazing flavor and will be the star of the dinner table!
- 6 Tablespoons butter divided
- 3/4 cup onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 30 ounce bag of frozen, shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed -or- 12 small potatoes parboiled and shredded
- 1 10.5 ounce can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream or plain greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded and firmly packed, divided
- 1 1/2 cup crushed cornflake cereal or panko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium sized skillet, add 2 Tablespoons butter and sauté until the onions are translucent. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cooked onions, garlic, hash browns, condensed soup, sour cream, parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese.
- Spread into a 9x13 inch baking pan. Top with remaining 1/2 cup cheddar cheese.
- Melt the remaining 4 Tablespoons of butter and mix with the crushed cornflake crumbs. Sprinkle evenly over the top of the casserole.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until cooked throughout and bubbly.