This Air Fryer Steak is impeccably seared on the outside and tender juicy on the inside. Cooking steak in an air fryer will create extra flavor and a delicate texture to truly satisfy everyone in your family!
Make this a scrumptious meal with a Caesar Salad, or Garlic Butter Green Beans and a Perfect Baked Potato or Homemade Sweet Potato Fries. Your friends and family are going to love this!
Steak in the Air Fryer
I’m not exaggerating when I say this is a perfect steak. It gives you that crispy crust seared outside and a tender juicy inside, EVERYTIME! Yes, grilling steak is still amazing but it’s getting cold, no one wants to stand outside to grill a steak. Cast iron steak on the stove is divine, but no one wants to fill the house up with smoke all the time. Plus cooking it in the Air Fryer takes the guesswork out how long to cook it for. You don’t have to worry about it getting over done or underdone. You just have to worry about keeping the hungry masses patient.
This is so simple, and easy. Now steak can be the main dish any night of the week, not just reserved for the weekends. It’s quick too, so no need to stress about not having enough time. Your biggest issue will be having enough time to make side dishes. Top the succulent steak with a super decadent yet painless Garlic Butter for a taste you won’t be able to resist.
- Steak: Ribeye, New York or Tri Tip about 1 inch thick
- Oil: I used Olive oil for it’s mild flavor
- Italian Seasoning: Such a classic seasoning that tastes so good.
- Salt and Pepper: To taste
Garlic Herb Butter
- Butter: Softened
- Garlic: Fresh garlic minced
- Fresh Rosemary, Thyme, and Parsley: Using fresh herbs adds subtle flavor and color.
How to Cook Steak in Air Fryer
Air fryers don’t just do potatoes, they can surprisingly create a restaurant worthy meal at home. It’s so simple, hands off and so good you may never cook steak any other way again!
- Preheat and Prepare: Preheat fryer 400 degrees. Rub the steaks with oil on each side. Rub the Italian seasoning and salt and pepper o
- Fry: Put the steaks in the fryer and cook for 12 minutes, flipping half way through. Let it rest for 10 minutes and top with the garlic butter.
Why Air Fryers Are So Amazing
- Healthy: Air Fryers make everything so easy and so much healthier than traditional methods. It can cut the time in half as well as the fat without sacrificing flavor.
- Frozen: Frozen food can be cooked in the fryer, you’ll just have to adjust the cooking time.
- How It Works: They work by circulating heat all around the food so it’s practically fool proof.
Tips and Variations for Perfect Steak
- Room Temperature: Have your steaks for the best results.
- Spacing: Avoid overcrowding the air fryer so the air can circulate evenly around the steaks.
- Rest: Remove the steaks and let rest on a plate so the fryer doesn’t continue cooking the steaks.
- Seasonings: You can use so many different spices and seasonings to your liking and desire.
- Medium Steak: Set the time to 12 minutes and flip the steak at 6.
- Medium Rare: For a medium-rare steak, cook the steak for 10 minutes and flip it at 5 minutes.
- Well-done steaks take a good 12 to 15 minutes.
FDA’s temperatures for Steak, Use a meat thermometer to test your meat and take out 5 min before your desired doneness.
- Rare: 125°F
- Medium-Rare: 135°F
- Medium: 145°F
- Medium Well: 155°F
- Well: 160°F
More Steak Loving Recipes
- Chicken Fried Steak
- Grilled Steak Fajitas
- Chipotle Steak Rice Bowls
- Philly Cheese Steak Sloppy Joes
- Creamy Garlic Steak Bites with Mushrooms
Air Fryer Steak
- 1-2 Ribeye New York, or Tri Tip Steaks (1 inch thick)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper
Garlic Herb Butter:
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees. Prepare the steaks by rubbing olive oil on each side. Rub the Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper on each side.
- Add the steak to the air fryer basket and cook for 12 minutes, turning over ager 6 minutes for medium. Let the steak rest for 10 minutes and top with garlic butter.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
This was really good for it to be done in an Air Fryer, and soooo easy!!. I followed the instructions to a T. My husband’s steak was larger and thicker and it came out medium rare. The ones I cooked for my son and I were 1/2 inch thick and came out medioum well the way we like ours. This was easy delicious, how about that. I am picky so you may have to tweak the number of minutes to cook the steak to your liking but it was great we all were happy with our steaks.
I was super excited about trying out my air fryer on a steak! I checked on mine after 10 min.. decided to flip it. Another 10. Let it rest on a plate. . Still mid well. And it was a good inch bone in ribeye. Next time I will to 8 per side for mid rare.
Hello! For this recipe, you want to cook them for a total of 12 minutes, flipping halfway through. So 6 minutes on each side. Let me know how it turns out next time!
What would the length of cook be for a medium rare? Medium is too done for us. I don’t want to ruin a good steak. 🙂
I would cook it for 10 minutes, flipping the steak over after 5 minutes.
I made these steaks last night for my husband and they were so delicious! My husband was shocked at how good they were and he is pretty picky about his steak lol.
Can you recommend any particular air fryer?
I love the “Beautiful” air fryer by Drew Barrymore from Walmart. It’s a great, affordable one. I also love the Gourmia air fryer (I got mine at Costco).
Thanks so much for this post! We just bought an Air Fryer for the first time, I googled about cooking a steak and…boom, you nailed it. Best steak ever, love the Italian seasoning, brilliant, also tried it with truffle rub and butter, yeah, this is fun.
Try garlic spread I find it at food city awesome on food
Made this steak tonight let me say this was the best ever. My husband loved it too the icing on the steak was the Garlic Herb Butter so yummy. We could eat this every other day that’s how good it is. This is a new addition to my cooking every week.
For thin strip steaks (4oz) I suggest 3 minutes a side if you want medium (maybe even less-haven’t succeeded yet). I tried 4 a side and it was still well done.
Best sear ever on a steak. I used Olive Oil, Monterey Steak seasoning and the Herb Butter. My husband absolutely loved it.
Great instructions for a delicious steak! I had nice thick sirloin steaks and followed the directions exactly. At 12 minutes plus 5 minutes resting, they were a perfect medium. Thank you!
this was the best steak i’ve ever had.
Amazing recipe!! I marinated the steaks in a bit of olive oil and worcestershire overnight, rubbed the seasonings onto each side the day of and set in the air fryer at 400 degrees for 15 minutes per the instructions (flipping over halfway through). It came out with the perfect sear, flavor and SO juicy on the inside! This recipe is going to be on repeat in my house!!
I want to try this and just need clarification on the temperature. After you preheat do you not need to push a setting? You just use the preheat to cook? Thanks.
Hello! This depends on your air fryer. Some don’t have a preheat setting. If you don’t, then you just set the temperature and let it preheat to that for 3-4 minutes. If you do have a preheat button then you use that and then switch to the cooking method on your air fryer.
Way too easy. My husband said it was the best ever. I never thought I’d get him away from his icky charcoal grill. Now we can have steak and he won’t smell like smoky coal all night! I did inch-thick filets and they were perfect. Thanks for this!
Can’t wait to try this! I love grilled steaks, but you don’t always want to stand around outside when it’s really cold or really hot! Also, when we seat them in a skillet, it smells up our house for ages! Do you have cooking times for thicker steaks, like 1.5-2”?
Steak filet 2” thick
I could not believe how amazing my T-bone steak came out!!!! I will only cook steaks in the airfryer from here on out! The t-bone was about an inch thick & it took 12 minutes total and it came out being the perfect mix between medium well & well done, juicy and not chewy at all. The knife really cut through it like butter I couldn’t believe it! The herb garlic butter on top was *chef’s kiss*!!!! Definitely will be putting this in a weekly rotation. Thank you for this wonderful recipe!
OMG! I can’t believe how good this came out! My hubby enjoyed it! Thank you for an easy Sunday Dinner! Can’t wait to try other cuts and recipes!