The perfect amount of spices come together in the homemade taco seasoning! You will never buy taco seasoning from the store again!
I have continued my healthy eating habits and goals that I made back in December. Now don’t get me wrong. I ate like a fat kid and got more ice cream cones than one should consume on our cruise, but I have tried to maintain a healthy diet back at home.
One of my favorite meals to make are turkey tacos. I make a big batch at the beginning of the week and have them almost every day during the week.
Tacos are the best. Seriously.
As I was making my weekly batch of turkey taco meat I reached into the cabinet to grab a seasoning packet.
There weren’t any there! What would I ever do without unseasoned meat? So I pulled out the computer and began my search for the perfect seasoning.
I had all of the spices in my cabinet. It took only a minute to throw them all together.
The first recipe that I tried was a little to spicy for my liking. So I tweaked it to my liking and found the perfect taco seasoning just for you.
It was amazing! I can’t believe that I have never made my own taco seasoning before.
It is WAY better than the store bought packages and I know that your family will love it too!
What you need to make taco seasoning
This is a great seasoning that you can add or subtract as much or as little of spices that you like. There is some added heat but that can also be minimized to your families liking.
- Chili powder- for some added heat.
- Garlic powder- a good balance and adds a brighter flavor.
- Onion powder- this is a subtle onion flavor you will not want to skip even if you are not a fan of onions.
- Dried oregano- brings in a spicy but sweet flavoring.
- Paprika- has a smokey flavor and helps color the taco seasoning.
- Ground cumin- lots of flavor with a little spice.
- Salt and Black pepper- an added taste to finish the seasoning.
How to make Taco Seasoning
This is such a simple recipe and it all comes together quick and easy for you to make several taco dishes!
I use one recipe in one pound of ground turkey.
Recipe can easily be doubled and use more or less to taste.
Tip: I also like to add 1/2 cup of water to the meat and seasonings to make the meat more moist.
- Mix spices together. Combine all the seasonings together in a bowl.
- Store. Place In an airtight container.
How long does taco seasoning last?
This is the best part! Homemade taco seasoning will last up to 6 months.
Keep your taco seasoning stored in a cool, dry place in an airtight container and you will be set for life on this recipe!
Your tacos will be thanking you!
How to store taco seasoning
Mine always stay in an airtight container like a mason jar or OXO containers.
I like to double or even triple my homemade taco seasoning recipe just to have it always ready.
How much homemade taco seasoning equals one packet?
A standard store-bought packets of taco seasoning uses about 2 tablespoons of seasoning per pound of meat.
This homemade taco seasoning recipe makes more so you can have a few taco meals!
The great thing about making your own is you can add more or less seasoning depending on how much flavoring you are wanting.
Want more taco recipes?! Try these ones!
Who doesn’t love a good taco! Here are some of my favorites listed here. For more taco recipes click here on tacos.
- Beef Taco Salad
- Easy Shrimp Tacos
- Crock Pot Taco Soup
- Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken Tacos
- Smoky Paprika Fish Tacos with an Apple Slaw
The Best Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine all seasonings together and store in an airtight container.
- I used one recipe in one pound of ground turkey. Recipe can easily be doubled and use more or less to taste. I also like to add 1/2 cup of water to the meat and seasonings to make the meat more moist.
Want to make this even easier? Here are a few products that I LOVE:
•The Recipe Critic Whisk
•The Recipe Critic Apron
•Cuisinart Stainless Steel Chopper