Taco Stuffed Avocados is cooked flavorful ground beef stuffed in a ripe avocado loaded with chopped tomatoes, sliced olives, shredded lettuce and sprinkled cheese. A healthy twist on tacos!
Load up all your favorite taco toppings into an avocado half for an easy lunch or light dinner. If you love stuffing your food try this Taco Stuffed Peppers, Slow Cooker Stuffed Bell Peppers, Mexican Quinoa Stuffed Peppers or Taco Stuffed Zucchini Boats.
Taco Stuffed Avocados
This is one of my favorite go-to meals!! Tacos!
Except I added a little twist to these tacos and stuffed them into an avocado.
This makes this dish perfect for a lunch, or even a light dinner.
Best of all, my kids absolutely love this meal.
I’m pretty sure these taco stuffed avocados are going to be a regular on our meal plan from now on.
It comes together super quick and easy too. Of course, it’s completely customizable.
Although I highly recommend that you use my recipe for the best homemade taco seasoning and follow the instructions on how to make the best taco meat possible!
What is in a Taco Stuffed Avocado?
You can of course use any meat you prefer for the stuffed avocados, maybe some Slow Cooker Beef Carnitas Tacos, or Slow Cooker Barbacoa Beef.
Then load up with your favorite toppings.
Cheese of course, some tomatoes, lettuce, cilantro and sour cream are my favorites.
One of the best parts of doing these taco stuffed avocados is that you can scoop some of the avocado out before adding the toppings and use that to make some of my favorite guacamole recipes such as Bacon Guacamole, Ranch Guacamole or Grilled Corn Guacamole.
- Ground beef: cooked and browned in a pan.
- Chili powder: Add a little bit of heat.
- Salt: to taste.
- Dried Oregano:
- Garlic Powder:
- Onion Powder: flavor the ground beef.
- Tomato Sauce: thicken the sauce of the ground beef.
- Avocados: halved and scooped out a circle where the avocado pit would be located.
- Cheddar Cheese: shredded
- Cherry Tomatoes: sliced
- Lettuce: shredded
- Cilantro: adds color and a little kick of flavor.
- Sour Cream: cool, creamy topping.
How to make a Taco Stuffed Avocado
- Brown ground beef: Add the ground beef to a medium size sauce pan. Cook over medium heat until browned.
- Cook meat: Drain the grease and add the seasonings and the tomato sauce. Stir to combine. Cook for about 3-4 minutes.
- Prepare avocados: Remove the pit from the halved avocados. Load the crater left from the pit with the taco meat. Top with cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, cilantro and sour cream.
- More stuffing: If you want to make a larger area in the avocado for the toppings, spoon out some of the avocado and set aside to make guacamole! Then fill with toppings.
Tips for making Taco Stuffed Avocado
- Avocados: It is best to use ripe avocados for this recipe. If the avocados are still firm or hard to the touch, the avocado may not have the right flavoring or texture that tastes best.
- Avocado pit: Simply remove the pit by using a paring knife. Once removed score the area both vertically and horizontally. Carefully remove the avocado in small chunks until it is the right depth you are wanting for stuffing.
- Taco seasoning: For an even healthier taco meat, try using low sodium taco seasoning. This will ensure less salt.
- Make ahead: Ground the beef ahead of time. Once cooled down place in an airtight container for up to 5 days. When ready to put together, warm up the meat in the microwave or oven the stove top until it is warmed through.
More Delicious Mexican Dinners to Enjoy
- Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken Tacos
- Baked Chicken Tacos
- Grilled Spicy Blackened Salmon Tacos with Pineapple Avocado Salsa
- Breakfast Tacos
- Three Cheese Mexican Shells
Taco Stuffed Avocados
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 teaspoon Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 4 ounces tomato sauce
- 3 avocados halved
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes sliced
- 1/4 cup lettuce shredded
- sour cream
- Add the ground beef to a medium size sauce pan. Cook over medium heat until browned.
- Drain the grease and add the seasonings and the tomato sauce. Stir to combine. Cook for about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the pit from the halved avocados. Load the crater left from the pit with the taco meat. Top with cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, cilantro and sour cream.
- If you want to make a larger area in the avocado for the toppings, spoon out some of the avocado and set aside to make guacamole! Then fill with toppings.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
This is perfect for my portion control eating plan! Thank you!
Scooping part of the avocado out makes room for the yummy filling. Looks very pretty with the extra avocado diced on top!
How many net carbs ???
I like to use myfitnesspal.com or skinnytaste.com for any nutritional information. Hope that helps! XOXO
I tried this about a month ago and again tonight and I think it’s my new favorite! I’ve been trying to get healthy fats in my diet and not only are the avocados great but I don’t know that I’ll even need the sour cream! Thanks for this recipe
I am really tired of cooking the same boring stuff. I want to learn how to cook all these foods that u have in these pictures with the recipes.
Thanks, from Angela
very good meal thank you
Any nutritional values available for this recipe? It looks good but I also have to watch my fat & calorie intake as well as carbs. I’m diabetic and always looking for good, low-fat, low-calorie, & low-carb recipes.
I like using skinnytaste.com or myfitnesspal.com for any nutritional questions. Hope you are able to find what you are needing! XOXO
I made this for the first time today, and it was very good! The only suggestion I would make, and some thing I will try next time, is to scoop the avocado “meat” out and mash it up, then put it back in the shell, with the fixings on top. That would make it easier to eat.
Great idea! We scooped the entire inside out smeared half back in then topped. Much easier to eat. I also tried slicing in 8ths without taking much out. Either way. FANTASTIC fun recipe!
You can even mix the mashed avocado with the meat mixture, then fill the empty avocado shell back up with the mixture. It is very yummy, and a few drops of lemon juice keeps it from turning brown, although it is still good, just not pretty anymore.
I want to learn to cook
How many servings is this?
This serves 6 people. Enjoy!! XOXO
What is the calorie breakdown for the guacamole taco and my co worker is a diabetic. And by the way yummy. Will be eating weekly
I have found the best way to get nutritional info on all of the recipes is through MyFitnessPal.com. You just type in the recipe and it tells you! Skinnytaste.com is also a great resource for healthy and delicious meals and provides nutritional info. Hope this helps! XOXO
Oh, Thank You!!!!