A super easy and delicious dinner begins here with Air Fryer Stuffed Peppers. Filled with a savory mixture and cooked to tender perfection, it is going to be a family favorite!
These air fryer peppers are a complete meal in themselves, but you can serve them with sides as well. Serve these scrumptious stuffed peppers with this Salad, Garlic Bread, and Cookie Bars for dessert.
Air Fryer Stuffed Peppers Recipe
Stuffed peppers are a comfort food that is actually pretty good for you. And cooking them in the air fryer makes them even better. The air fryer adds a little bit of crunch to the the peppers but keeps the inside juicy and delicious. The air fryer keeps the peppers from getting soggy bottoms. This is why I love cooking these stuffed peppers in the air fryer! And they cook in half the time. When I need to get dinner on the table quick, it is my new go to method of cooking.
Peppers have such a great crunchy taste and texture. And depending on the color, will depend on the flavor. Green bell peppers have a mildly bitter flavor that actually sweetens as it is cooking and combines well with flavorings. Yellow and orange peppers are sweeter and the red peppers being the sweetest of the pepper family. Whichever kind of pepper you pick, this air fryer recipe is a winner with all of them. You will forever cook stuffed peppers in the air fryer after you try this recipe.
Mexican Stuffed Pepper Ingredients
Simple wholesome ingredients go into these air fryer stuffed peppers. This is a great way to use up leftover rice. It is healthy, it is cheesy and it is filling!
- Whole Peppers: Any variety will work, green, red, yellow or orange.
- Olive Oil: For sauteing the onion and beef.
- Onion: Small diced onion is all you need.
- Lean Ground Beef: Can use ground chicken or turkey.
- Can Diced Tomatoes: I like to use petite diced tomatoes.
- Can Tomato Sauce: Low sodium works well.
- Cooked Rice: You can use any variety of cooked rice.
- Italian Seasoning: Incredible combination of flavors.
- Garlic Powder: Adds great flavor.
- Salt and Pepper: Add to taste.
- Colby Jack Cheese: Shred your own so it’ll melt better. Pre shredded cheese has anti caking agents which can make it hard to melt.
How to Make Stuffed Peppers in the Air Fryer
Making these stuffed peppers is easy. Sauteing and cooking the beef will take a matter of minutes. Then the air fryer does all the work. Dinner in no time!
- Cut: To prepare the peppers, slice the tops off and remove any veins or seeds inside.
- Saute: In a medium sized saucepan over medium high heat add the olive oil and onion. Cook until almost tender.
- Add: Add in the ground beef and cook and crumble until no longer pink.
- Pour: Add in the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, rice, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and salt and pepper.
- Fill: Stuff the peppers with the mixture and place in the basket of the air fryer.
- Air Fry: Cook the the peppers at 360 degrees until tender for 10 minutes. Top with cheese and then cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
Tips for Easy Air Fryer Stuffed Peppers
Air Fryer stuffed peppers are so delicious, and super easy to make. To make sure your stuffed peppers come out the way you like here are some tips.
- Peppers: When you are looking for peppers, look for ones that are roughly the same size and have good even bottom so they’ll stand up.
- Wobbly Peppers: If your peppers can’t stand up on their own, you can trim the bottom so they sit flatter.
- Lean on Each Other: Don’t be tempted to lean them against each other to keep them straight up. You want the air to circulate around them the best it can.
- Slice The Peppers: If you have really uneven bottomed peppers you can cut the peppers in half and fill them.
- Variety: Feel free to use a variety of peppers, green, red, yellow or orange will all be fantastic.
- Crunchy Top: You will want to top the filling with cheese to keep the rice from getting to crunchy in the air fryer.
- Shred Your own Cheese: Pre shredded cheese usually has anti-caking agents in it which can keep them from melting nicely.
- Know Your Air Fryer: I might sound like a broken record when you read my air fryer recipes but every air fryer is different. My temperature and timings are guidelines. Refer to your own manual for guidance and experience for what works best for your air fryer recipes.
Variations for Air Fryer Peppers
There are so many tempting variations for air fryer stuffed peppers. Your only limited to your imagination and tastes.
- Meat: Try using ground chicken, turkey or pork. Mild, spicy or Italian sausage are incredible. For a spicy hit try Chorizos. For italian flavoring add in pepperoni
- Rice: Sub out the rice for brown rice, quinoa or for low carb use riced cauliflower.
- Add ins: Add in black or kidney beans. Finely chop up zucchini, celery, mushrooms, or sweet potatoes to add to the filling. Top with chopped tomatoes and green onions.
- Sauces: You can use your own marinara sauce or pizza sauce to mix with the stuffed pepper filling. You could even use BBQ Saucefor a western flare.
- Spices: Add different combinations of spices to create diverse flavors. Think Taco Seasoning, onion soup mix, ranch dressing mix or fajita flavorings.
- Cheese: Cheddar, monterey jack, pepper jack, swiss or mozzarella are all good melty cheeses to try.
Storing and Freezing Stuffed Peppers
Air fryer stuffed peppers are actually ideal for freezing. They keep their shape and the filling stays flavorful when properly stored. Make extras and freeze them for another day.
- Refrigerate: Store leftovers tightly sealed and covered in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat in the air fryer for 2-3 minutes.
- Freeze: Allow the air fryer stuffed peppers to cool completely. Individually wrap in plastic wrap and then aluminum foil to prevent freezer burn. Place in a freezer safe bag or container and keep for up to 6 months. Thaw the stuffed peppers in the fridge overnight and reheat in the air fryer for 3-5 minutes checking half way through to check for doneness. They can also be reheated straight from the freezer if needed. Just add a few minutes to your cooking time.
Air Fryer Recipes to Try Today
Healthy, fast and easy, that describes perfectly what cooking with an air fryer is like. It’s one of the best kitchen inventions yet. The food it produces is impeccable and it’s so versatile. From dinner, to sides to dessert, air fryers can do it all. Try these recipes with your air fryer.
- The Best Grilled Cheese In the Air Fryer
- Seriously Amazing Air Fryer Hand Pies
- Air Fryer Crispy Parmesan Brussel Sprouts
- Homemade Air Fryer French Fries
- The Best Air Fryer Chicken Breast (Tender and Juicy)
Air Fryer Stuffed Peppers
- 4 whole bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 15 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1 8 ounce can of tomato sauce
- 2 cups rice cooked
- 1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups Colby Jack cheese shredded
- To prepare the peppers, slice the tops off and remove any veins or seeds inside. In a medium sized saucepan over medium high heat add the olive oil and onion. Cook until almost tender. Add in the ground beef and cook and crumble until no longer pink.
- Add in the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, rice, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and salt and pepper.
- Stuff the peppers with the mixture and place in the basket of the air fryer.
- Cook the peppers at 360 degrees until tender for for 10 minutes. Top with cheese and then cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
Oh my goodness! I had never tried making stiffed peppers before let alone in the air fryer. These were so delicious! This recipe is a keeper!!! Thank you!
Excellent recipe and super easy! The only suggestion I’d make is to cover the stuffed peppers lightly with foil halfway or towards the end of the cooking time in the air fryer. I cooked mine in two batches and with my first batch, I found the rice on top only became crunchy, too crunchy. It could be my air fryer model that heats up too much, I don’t know. Just be careful not to let the foil touch the inside top of the fryer. Only bc I would be concerned with it overheating.
Female Bell Peppers have 4+ lobes on bottom and are sweeter. Male only have 3, but precooking adds a sweetness to them.
Thanks so much for this great tip!
Amazing!! Crisp peppers still, fantastic filling, great advice on grating your own cheese! A family favorite and a unique dinner when friends come over. Gotta tell you though, with my 1 pound of ground beef, I add 1/2 pound of sage bulk sausage, so your recipe for 4 makes 6 stuffed peppers. The filling is so good, we’re having it tomorrow night just out of the pan. Quick and easy. Thanks.
Tried this tonight and it was wonderful! My husband finished his and said “I could eat this again! It was delicious!”
It was good. I don’t know what I did but but I had enough for 6 peppers (which was a good thing). It took much longer for the peppers to cook, but that could be my machine or the fact that I made six. I added a tablespoon of calabrian chili because i read the first review and that added to the taste. All in all a good recipe. thank you
Honestly, just ok. The air fryer part worked well, just under spiced … lacking some acid and/or stronger herb taste.
Do i need to cook the meat first? I have stuffed peppers in my freezer but they haven’t been cooked yet.
Yes, cook the ground beef in a skillet.
I made the stuffed peppers from your recipe and they were So Delicious! In stead of ground beef I used ground chicken to make it healthier and I used fire roasted diced tomatoes with garlic,because I had them already. My husband Loved them! The air fryer made them better than the oven! Thank you for the recipe!
So I followed your recipe, sort of but for the most part. I cooked the peppers at 340 degrees for 15 minutes. I’m fully impressed with how they turned out. I’m currently living in my camper waiting on our new home to be finished and broke down and bought an air fryer. I’m totally glad I did and appreciate all the great recipes I’m finding.
Just tried this recipe. Absolutely delicious!
You’re a genius!! Putting these in the air fryer is the absolute BEST!! I am doing KETO so I just put the onion, meat and cheese and they were still absolutely delicious. Quick and easy which I love as well. Thank you for sharing your recipe!
You can keep them keto and use riced cauliflower. Then you have the more authentic version of stuffed peppers.
We have opened new food and beverage business in Canada and I tried most of your recipes. My customers are pretty happy and saying thank to you.