I’m sorry if this entire post is me raving about this mind blowing amazing incredible salad. 🙂 I could eat this salad every single day for the rest of my life and never get sick of it. That is just how much I loved this salad.
Oriental chicken salads are my absolute favorite anyway. And this particular recipe is a copycat to Applebee’s. I was excited to try it and needed a good recipe that I could make over and over again at home!
This salad was perfection. The thing that I love most about oriental salads are the bright colors and textures. They look so beautiful with the purples and bright greens and the added almonds and chow mien noodles give it a delicious crunch. The chicken is one of the best parts to the salad with the crunchy coating on the outside. It was cooked so moist and tender on the inside. Just when this salad can’t get anymore perfect it does with the salad dressing. It glazes the salad and chicken with a sweet and tangy oriental dressing. You can always buy an oriental dressing at the store, but it is worth the few extra minutes to whisk this delicious dressing up. It is the bomb.
A light delicious meal that is going to have you craving for it more! Seriously my mouth is watering just looking at the pictures again. It was fantastic. You need to make this. Now. 🙂
- Oriental Dressing:
- 3 Tablespoons Honey
- 1½ Tablespoons Rice Wine Vinegar
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- ⅛ teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 boneless chicken breasts*
- 2 Tablespoons oil (for frying chicken)
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup cornflakes (crushed)
- 3 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 cup chopped red cabbage
- 1 cup chopped Napa cabbage
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- 1 Tablespoon roasted almonds
- ⅓ cup chow mein noodles
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together honey, rice wine vinegar, mayonnaise, dijon mustard, and sesame oil. Set in the fridge until ready to use.
- In a medium skillet heat oil on medium heat. Prepare the chicken by pounding to about ½ inch thick. This helps them to cook faster and more even. In a shallow dish whisk egg and milk together. In another shallow disk combine crushed corn flakes and flour. Dredge the chicken in the egg/milk mixture and then coat well in the cornflakes. Place the coated chicken in the hot oil and cook on each side until chicken is no longer pink.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare the salad by chopping the romaine, and cabbages. In a large bowl, toss with shredded carrots, chow mien noodles, and roasted almonds. Cut the chicken into bite sized chunks forming a a pile in the middle. Serve with dressing.
* If you want each family member to have an individual chicken breast, cook four instead of two and serve the chicken sliced over the top of each plate of salad.
Recipe adapted From Top Secret Recipes