These Pepperoni Pizza Lasagna Rolls are an easy weeknight dinner, perfect for back to school! They can be made ahead or frozen.
Happy August everyone! It’s Ashley here from The Recipe Rebel and I’m excited to bring you a twist on one of our family’s favorite meals — lasagna rolls!
We love lasagna rolls because they are so easy, they’re great for making ahead (perfect for the back to school madness!), and you can mix them up in a number of ways. Also, the kids love the fun shape and let’s be honest, I’m just a kid at heart myself 😉
Because I wanted to keep things as simple as possible, I used the fewest ingredients possible. If you’re wanting to take things up a notch or make them a little healthier, here are a few easy ways to do that!
Feel free to swap whole grain lasagna noodles for the regular, or use low fat cheese instead. Turkey pepperoni is an easy swap for the pepperoni, and there’s lots of room for extra veggies in here! Try chopped spinach, mushrooms or peppers or come up with a combination of your family’s favorites.
Because we’re rolling up each noodle individually, you could actually do a few of each, and add extra veggies to some and not others, so that everyone in the family gets their pick. Do a few vegetarian and swap all the pepperoni for a mixture of veggies and make everyone happy!
To make these lasagna rolls ahead, simply assemble, top with plastic wrap and refrigerate up to 24 hours before baking.
To freeze, be sure that your casserole dish can go from freezer to oven (I use glass pans with no issue), and simply add a layer of foil on top of the plastic wrap and place the whole dish in the freezer (be sure to label it!) and freeze up to 3 months. To reheat, simply remove the plastic wrap, and place the foil back over top. Bake at 375 degrees until hot and bubbly — this will take a little longer from frozen!
Pepperoni Pizza Lasagna Rolls
- 12 lasagna noodles not oven ready
- 1 cup thinly sliced pepperoni chopped
- 2 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- 1 1/2 cups pizza sauce
- fresh basil or parsley for garnish if desired
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil. Add lasagna noodles and cook until al dente (8-10 minutes -- check your package directions). Drain and cover with cold water to cool immediately. Drain and lay out on a clean, lint free kitchen towel.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and lightly grease a 9x13" baking dish.
- Sprinkle each lasagna noodle with pepperoni and divide 1 cup of cheese evenly between the all of the noodles. Roll up as tightly as possible. Spread 1/2 cup of pizza sauce on the bottom of the baking dish and place all rolls on top.
- Top with remaining 1 cup pizza sauce and sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 cups cheese. Cover with tin foil and bake for 25-30 minutes until bubbly and hot. Uncover and broil if desired (keep in mind that the edges of your pasta will become crispy). Garnish with fresh herbs if desired and serve immediately.