This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Pina Colada Cake is a little slice of tropical paradise on a plate! Rich in flavor this is a light fluffy cake everyone is going to love!
Pina Colada Poke Cake
This Pina colada cake is a taste of tropical paradise heaven. Despite adding the coconut cream and pineapple sauce to the cake, the texture is still light and fluffy. The sauce adds incredible one of a kind flavor without making it heavy. The flavor is rich but the texture is delicate. The perfect summertime Pina colada cake takes you to a tropical paradise all in one bite.
This super easy and insanely delicious Pina colada cake is a wonderful dessert to take to a party or potluck. Making it all in one pan makes it easy to transport. And using a box cake mix speeds up the process and still creates a luscious cake. You will need to take some time to chill it, but then it’s off to paradise. Just like the Cherry Jello Coke Poke Cake you are going to love it! You have to make this cake!
Ingredients for Pina Colada Cake
This Pina colada cake is made easy by using a boxed yellow cake for the base. Create the best combination with this easy to make pina colada cake. For all the ingredients and measurements see below in the recipe card.
- Boxed yellow cake mix: Use your favorite boxed yellow cake mix, one you know you will love.
- Crushed pineapple with juice: You only need an 8oz can, if you cannot find the smaller can, measure out a cup of pineapple from the bigger can.
- Vegetable oil: I like to use canola oil, it’s a mild-flavored oil so it doesn’t flavor the bake.
- Eggs: Have your eggs at room temperature, take them out of the fridge at least an hour before mixing.
- Cream of coconut: Super thick and decadent, this cream of coconut tastes like paradise.
- Pineapple juice: This adds a nice flavor that compliments the coconut.
- Heavy cream: I recommend using heavy cream as you’ll be whipping this up into a beautiful frosting.
- Cream of coconut: You can sometimes find the cream of coconut with alcohol at your grocery store because it’s most often used for making pina Coladas!
- Sweetened shredded coconut toasted: Toast it in a pan on the stove over medium-high heat, stirring constantly.
How to Make Pina Colada Cake Recipe
Super easy and full of flavor you are going to love this Pina colada cake! Easy steps to follow and make the perfect cake every time.
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350°. Spray a 9×13 pan with pan spray and set aside.
- Mix the Cake: In a medium bowl, add the cake mix, crushed pineapple and juice, vegetable oil, and eggs. Mix on medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean from the center.
- Sauce: While the cake is baking, mix the cream of coconut and pineapple juice.
- Poke and Pour: When the cake is done baking and is still warm, use a large fork to poke holes all over the top. Pour the cream of coconut/pineapple juice mixture evenly over the cake and allow it to be completely absorbed.
- Frost: In the bowl of a mixer, add the heavy cream and cream of coconut. Using the whisk attachment, whip until medium-stiff peaks form. Once the cake is completely cool, spread the whipped cream over the top. Top with toasted coconut. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
The Best Pina Colada Poke Cake Tips
Sweet and tropical, this Pina colada cake was made for summer! These tips will help take your boxed cake to the next level!
- Cake: Adding crushed pineapple to the cake not only keeps it moist but adds a sweet flavor that is light delicate.
- Cream of Coconut: Cream of coconut is different than coconut milk, the coconut cream is richer and will adhere to the cake better than coconut milk and it has a richer flavor.
- Poke and Pour: Make sure you wait a bit to poke the cake, you want it a bit warm but not too warm. Otherwise, the cake will stick to the fork or the back of the spoon. You can use a fork or skewer to poke the holes. Make sure you poke enough to have the sauce in every piece and then some.
- Chill: You will want to chill the cake, it will keep the sauce evenly dispersed stay that way, instead of soaking into the bottom. Plus tastes better.
- Topping: You do not have to add the cherries or the pineapples if you do not want to, but the coconut is a must. Toast it in the oven on a cookie sheet or on the stovetop.
Making Ahead and Storing Poke Cake
- Make-Ahead: This is a wonderful cake to make ahead of because it needs to be refrigerated. Do not frost though, it can make the Pina colada cake weep and make the top soggy.
- Store: If you have any leftovers keep them in the fridge covered. It will keep for up to 3 days.
- Freeze: You can freeze the cake but I recommend freezing it without the whipped topping. Tightly wrap the cake in both plastic and foil. It will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge or at room temperature. Once thawed you can top it. You can freeze the cake before or after poking it and pouring the sauce.
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Pina Colada Cake
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 (8 ounces) can crushed pineapple with juice
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup cream of coconut
- ½ cup pineapple juice
- 1 ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup cream of coconut
- ½ cup sweetened shredded coconut toasted
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spray a 9×13 pan with pan spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add the cake mix, crushed pineapple and juice, vegetable oil, and eggs. Mix on medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean from the center.
- While the cake is baking, mix the cream of coconut and pineapple juice.
- When the cake is done baking and is still warm, use a large fork to poke holes all over the top. Pour the cream of coconut and pineapple juice mixture evenly over the cake and allow it to be completely absorbed.
- In the bowl of a mixer, add the heavy cream and cream of coconut. Using the whisk attachment, whip until medium stiff peaks form. Once the cake is completely cool, spread the whipped cream over the top. Top with toasted coconut. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.