Red Beans and Rice. This classic recipe is so easy to make! Bold and flavorful, this comforting meal is sure to fill you up with tender beans and spicy sausage.
Red Beans and rice is a true southern classic, coming straight from Louisiana! This dish is big on flavor, but easy on your time.
Made with red beans, andouille sausage and a variety of veggies. Add some white rice, sprinkle with some fresh parsley, and enjoy this comforting meal!
Red Beans and Rice
How to make Red Beans and Rice:
This particular version of red beans and rice comes together quick and easy thanks to using canned beans and andouille sausage.
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven or stockpot.
- Add in the sliced sausage and let it cook just to bring some color to it.
- Stir in the fresh veggies (bell pepper, onion, and celery). Let this continue to cook until the veggies are soft and tender.
- Add in the garlic and cajun seasoning. Let this cook for just an additional minute until fragrant.
- Pour in the chicken broth (you can absolutely sub for another type of broth if you prefer) and beans.
- Add in the spices: cayenne, ground sage, and bay leaf. Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring this to a boil, cover and reduce the heat to low. Let cook for 15 minutes. Remove the lid. Continue cooking at a simmer for another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over white rice and garnish with parsley!
What kind of beans do I use for Red Beans and Rice?
Red beans are most often used. They look like pinto beans, but have a slightly redder color. Sometimes Red Kidney beans are also used. The main difference being that red beans will be a nice creamy consistency when mashed, and the kidney beans won’t have that same creaminess. But it depends on what texture you prefer. Either will be flavorful and they are very similar in all other ways.
What to serve with Red Beans and Rice?
A classic to serve with red beans and rice is cornbread, like these Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread muffins. Some classic Southern Biscuits would be another great option! Or you could go with a fresh salad! Which there are several recipes on this site to choose from!
Other recipes you may enjoy:
Red Beans and Rice
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 12 ounces smoked andouille sausage (sliced)
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 and ½ tsp cajun seasoning
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cans red beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne
- 1/8 tsp ground sage
- 1 tsp salt (more to taste)
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper (more to taste)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup long grain white rice/or basmati rice
- 2 tbsp diced fresh parsley
- Prepare the rice by combining the rice with 2 cups of water in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and let cook for about 20 minutes. Remove from heat, keeping rice covered and set aside.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large stockpot or Dutch oven.
- Add in the sliced sausage and cook until the sausage starts to get some color.
- Add the onion, green bell pepper, and celery. Allow this to cook for about 5-6 minutes, until the veggies are just starting to get tender.
- Add in the garlic and cajun seasoning. Stir to combine. Allow this to cook for about 30 seconds to 1 minute until fragrant.
- Pour in the chicken broth, stir in the red beans. Add in the cayenne, ground sage, and bay leaf. Add in salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil, cover and reduce the heat to low. Cook covered for 15 minutes. Remove the lid and continue to cook, stirring occasionally.
- Using a wooden spoon, gently mash the beans to help thicken.
- Serve over rice and garnish with fresh parsley.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.