Happy New Year! I hope that you had a wonderful holiday! We spent the day taking down Christmas decorations. It is always a sad time for me to see that the holidays are over, but January is a breath of fresh air. The start of a New Year and new goals.
I got a head start on eating better and losing these last few pounds from having a baby. I had to skip out on the Christmas treats and New Years treats. It was such a hard thing to do! But I have a cruise to get ready for so that has helped to motivate me as well. I am learning that by replacing some regular ingredients you can still have amazing food with half of the calories.
For the month of January, I am taking some of my favorite recipes and making them healthier. These Baked Cream Cheese Taquitos are a family favorite. Everyone gobbles them down and they are gone within minutes. I was able to replace some ingredients and add some greek yogurt to make these better for you. My boys couldn’t even tell! They were absolutely amazing and you don’t have to sacrifice on taste with healthier ingredients on this one!
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken (rotisserie worked great)
- 4 oz ⅓ less fat cream cheese
- ¼ cup plain greek yogurt
- ⅓ cup salsa
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon green onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Lime Juice
- 1 Cup Colby Jack Cheese
- 8-10 small wheat flour tortillas
- Preheat oven to 425 and prepare a baking sheet by lining it with foil and spraying it with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Soften the cream cheese in the microwave for about 15-20 seconds. In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, greek yogurt, salsa, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, lime juice, and salt. Add in the shredded chicken, colby jack cheese, green onions, and cilantro. Stir until combined well.
- Add about 3 Tablespoons of the chicken mixture about 1 inch from the edge of the flour tortilla. Roll it up and place it seam side down on the baking sheet. Repeat with each one and place about 1 inch apart not touching each other on baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the tortilla is lightly browning around the edges. Serve with sour cream, ranch, or your favorite sauce!
Recipe adapted from here