This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Swap out the bun for this sloppy joe casserole full of pasta and a sweet ground beef mixture. All of the meaty and delicious flavors of a sloppy joe sandwich transform into an easy weeknight meal your family will love!
Everyone loves this sloppy joe casserole because they can dig in and enjoy this all-in-one meal! I love to make casseroles for that very reason, it’s all baked in one dish and makes everyone happy. Casseroles are the easiest way to serve dinner for a hungry family! If you’re looking for more casserole recipes to try, this chicken casserole is one of our favorites! We also love this rigatoni recipe and this incredible casserole for breakfast!
What is Sloppy Joe Casserole?
Imagine a sloppy joe getting a makeover with the addition of pasta baked into a hearty and tasty casserole. A traditional sloppy joe recipe is filled with ground beef and smothered in a sweet tomato-based sauce. Sandwiched between hamburger buns, the sloppy jo mixture is known for its sloppy and messy outcome.
This is the perfect casserole to make for your family or to feed a crowd. The flavors are so delicious and everyone will love the brown sugar that adds sweetness to the meaty sauce mixture. And the best part is that is a lot less messy than real sloppy joe sandwiches! I have a mean sloppy joe recipe if this recipe inspires me to make real ones! Or if you’re wanting more sandwich recipes make these Cuban sandwiches or this easy French dip recipe.
This sloppy joe casserole starts with an easy meat mixture that comes together in about 20 minutes with ingredients right in your pantry. Pop it in the oven and dinner is ready in one pan! Follow the recipe card below for the exact measurements!
- Olive oil: For sauteing the onions.
- Onion: Onions add so much flavor.
- Ground beef: Use lean ground beef for less fat.
- Garlic: Mince the garlic finely.
- Ketchup: Adds the tangy sauce.
- Brown sugar: Adds a bit of sweetness and caramelization.
- Chili powder: Brings the heat to balance the sweetness.
- Paprika: Adds a kick of flavor that can be a bit hot.
- Worcestershire sauce: The perfect savory umami flavor
- Salt and pepper: Season to taste!
- Penne Pasta: We like penne pasta in this recipe, but use any pasta you would like.
- Colby Jack Cheese: I love the flavor of Colby Jack in this recipe, but cheddar also works great.
Sloppy Joe Casserole Recipe
Quick and easy this is a great dish for a busy weekday! Sloppy joes are irresistible and all ages love them, but this casserole is our new favorite way of enjoying sloppy joe flavors. The directions are very easy to follow, and I know you’re going to love this!
- Preheat Oven/ Prepare Dish: Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare a 2-quart baking dish by spraying it with cooking spray.
- Saute the Onion/ Cook the Meat: In a medium-sized skillet add the olive oil and onion over medium-high heat. Sauté until almost tender then add the ground beef and cook and crumble until no longer pink.
- Add the Sauce Ingredients: Add the garlic, ketchup, brown sugar, chili powder, paprika, Worcestershire sauce salt, and pepper. Let simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the Cooked Pasta: Add the cooked drained pasta into the sloppy joe sauce mixture then stir to combine.
- Layer the Pasta and Cheese: Pour half of the sloppy jo mixture into the prepared pan. Top with 1 cup of shredded cheese. Add the rest of the sloppy joe mixture to the pan then sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of cheese on top.
- Bake: Bake the casserole for 15-20 minutes until warmed through and the cheese is melted. Enjoy warm!
Tips and Variations
This sloppy joe casserole recipe can be made to your liking! The flavors in this recipe allow you to make simple changes or add to it if you choose. Here are some ideas for you to switch things up!
- Pasta: Pick your pasta! This recipe uses penne, but any other kind of pasta would work. I’ve also used rigatoni, rotini, or small shells. Try to choose thicker and shorter pasta that holds its shape. Noodles like spaghetti or egg won’t hold their shape and they tend to get mushy.
- Cheese: Play around with your cheese. Cheddar cheese or smoked gouda would be delicious, but you could also use a combination of cheese. Definitely stick to cheddar flavors because white cheeses aren’t as common in this recipe.
- Add Bell Peppers: I LOVE to sneak in veggies because it adds more nutrition to the casserole. I like to saute green bell peppers with the onions, but you can add any sweet bell pepper. They are all delicious!
- Make it Spicy: Add more paprika or cayenne pepper to the sauce if you like a little kick. I love spice so much that I like to sprinkle red pepper flakes or Tabasco on my serving of casserole. Try it, it’s SO good!
This sloppy joe casserole makes great leftovers because you can enjoy it the next day for lunch or dinner. It warms up perfectly and the flavors taste even better! Follow my instructions below for storing and reheating leftovers.
- In the Refrigerator: Place the cooled casserole into an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To Reheat: Remove the leftovers from the refrigerator and place them in a microwave-safe bowl. Cook for about 1-2 minutes or until warmed through. Add more cheese on top before warming if you would like!
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Sloppy Joe Casserole
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare a 2-quart casserole dish by spraying it with cooking spray.
- In a medium-sized skillet add the olive oil and onion over medium-high heat. Sauté until almost tender and add the ground beef and cook and crumble until no longer pink.
- Add the garlic, ketchup, brown sugar, chili powder, paprika, Worcestershire sauce salt, and pepper. Let simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cooked drained pasta into the sloppy joe mixture. Stir to combine.
- Pour half of the sloppy jo mixture into the prepared pan. Top with 1 cup of shredded cheese. Add the rest of the sloppy joe mixture to the pan then sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of cheese on top.
- Bake the casserole for 15-20 minutes until warmed through and the cheese is melted. Enjoy warm!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.