The delicious Easy Cuban Sandwich is layered with two kinds of pork, loads of melted swiss cheese, pickles, and mustard. Toasted in butter and pressed to perfection, this is one ultimate sandwich for pork lovers.
Easy Cuban Sandwich
This hearty sandwich is all about the layers and each one plays a significant flavor roll in taste. The main ingredient, however, is the two kinds of pork. Layers and layers of smoked ham are paired with thinly sliced pork tenderloin. The Cubano is the ultimate sandwich with the tangy and tart taste of the pickles and mustard paired with the melted swiss cheese and pork.
This delicious sandwich has a handful of main ingredients and depending on whether you’re from Miami or Tampa you might disagree on the correct variation.
- Cuban Bread: if you can’t find Cuban bread you could make it or you could use another soft loaf variation.
- Swiss Cheese: make sure to get plenty of swiss cheese because you want it to melt everywhere.
- Smoked Ham: layering the ham is just as important as the cheese so also make sure to get enough.
- Sliced Pork: use either pork tenderloin or pork shoulder.
- Dill Pickles: dill pickles are absolutely necessary for that tangy flavor.
- Mustard: plain mustard is the standard, but if you have a type you prefer such as grainy or dijon those can also be used.
How to Make a Cuban Sandwich
This sandwich is all about the layers and the most cumbersome part of the prep is cooking the pork tenderloin (only because of the time it takes to cook).
- Cook the Pork: Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Place the pork tenderloin on a foil-lined baking sheet. In a small bowl whisk the olive oil, orange juice, lime juice, garlic cloves, oregano, and cumin together and pour over the pork. Cook for 30 to 40 minutes or until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 154ºF. Let cool for a few minutes before thinly slicing.
- Assemble: Slice the loaf of bread in half and then cut into 4 equal parts. Begin the layering by placing half the swiss cheese on the bottom halves of the sandwich. Top with the smoked ham, sliced pork, and pickles. Add the remaining swiss cheese on the very top, and spread the mustard on the top half.
- Toast: Melt butter in a skillet or griddle over medium heat. Place the sandwiches in the pan and put a heavy skillet on top to press them down. Flip and repeat. Slice the sandwiches in half before serving.
Do You Have to Use Cuban Bread?
This depends on who you ask, but truthfully you can use any soft loaf bread to prepare this sandwich. If the bread is too hard it won’t press easily when cooking it at the end.
Which Pork is Best?
This particular recipe calls for pork tenderloin because it’s easier and quicker to prepare than pork shoulder. Either type of pork cut will work and the shoulder can be flavored slightly more than the tenderloin. The choice is yours.
More Sandwiches to Try
Easy Cuban Sandwich
- 1 lb Pork Tenderloin
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Orange Juice
- 2 tablespoons Lime Juice
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 Cuban Bread Loaf Italian bread will also work
- 1 lb Swiss Cheese sliced
- 1 lb Smoked Ham sliced
- 1 cup Dill Pickles sliced
- 1/4 cup Mustard
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF and line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- Place the pork tenderloin on the prepared baking sheet. In a small bowl whisk the olive oil, orange juice, lime juice, garlic cloves, oregano, and cumin together and pour over the pork.
- Cook for 30 to 40 minutes or until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 145ºF. Thinly slice the meat and set aside.
- Slice the loaf of bread in half lengthwise and then cut into 4 equal parts.
- Begin layering the ingredients by adding half of the cheese to the bottom layer of the sandwich bread. Top with the smoked ham, sliced pork, and pickles. Place the remaining cheese on top. Spread mustard on the top piece of bread and place on the sandwich.
- Melt the butter in a skillet or griddle over medium heat. Add the sandwiches and set a heavy skillet, such as an iron skillet, on top of the sandwiches to press them down. Once toasted flip the sandwich and repeat.
- Slice the sandwiches in half before servings.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.