Get ready for the best Disneyland food out there with this copycat Monte Cristo sandwich!! The melted cheese combined with delicious turkey and ham sandwiched in crispy bread, all dipped into delicious raspberry jam… It’s enough to make anyone’s mouth water!
I love a good, hearty sandwich. Although I may be partial to loving this Monte Cristo the very best, there are a few other tried and true favorites that taste insanely delicious! Try this air fryer grilled cheese sandwich, this amazing meatloaf sandwich, and this easy Cuban sandwich recipe.
What is a Monte Cristo Sandwich?
I am here to tell you about the best sandwich there ever was. Nope, I’m not even exaggerating. This Monte Cristo sandwich is based on the classic served at a restaurant named Cafe Orleans in Disneyland. The outside is bread that is grilled to perfection. The inside has cheese and turkey and ham. The cheese is so melty and delicious, and then get this… When it’s all cooked and ready to eat, you dip it in some….jam.
Yep, you read that right! If you have never had one before, then I know that sounds so weird. But this is one of Disney’s most popular sandwiches for a reason. The combination of the sandwich and the jam is pure HEAVEN. You won’t find another like it, and you won’t have to. This will become your favorite and your go-to forever and always! Trust me… Make the sandwich!
Ingredients in a Monte Cristo Sandwich Recipe
The best part about this sandwich (well, aside from tasting heavenly) is how simple and easy it is to make. You probably already have all of the ingredients in your kitchen! Check out the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact measurements.
- Butter: I used unsalted butter in this recipe.
- Olive Oil: You can use canola oil or vegetable oil if you have those on hand instead.
- White Bread: No special bread is needed for this recipe! Plain white bread is perfect!
- Mayonaise and Mustard: These will be mixed together to make a spread.
- Swiss Cheese: Using swiss cheese gives this sandwich a delicious flavor.
- Deli Ham and Turkey: Both of these meats are a MUST!
- Eggs: You will dredge the sandwich in the eggs before you cook it, similar to how you would cook french toast.
- Powdered Sugar: Sprinkle this on top for a slight dusting and it not only looks pretty but it”s the signature of a delicious Monte Cristo!
- Raspberry Jam: I like the flavor of Raspberry jam the best with this sandwich but you can use any kind that you want! Try out this homemade strawberry jam for something fresh!
How to Make a Homemade Monte Cristo Sandwich
If you want to feel as if you are eating right in New Orleans’ Square at Disneyland, then you MUST make this sandwich. It’s so simple, and it’s worth every minute spent making it!
- Prep Bread: Add the butter and oil to a large skillet or pan on medium heat and then lay the slices of bread on a baking sheet.
- Combine: Combine the mayo and mustard and spread on each slice of bread.
- Add Cheese and Ham: Add the cheese to each side of the bread. On one side, add 2 slices of ham followed by another slice of cheese.
- Add Turkey: Add the turkey and top with the other side of the bread.
- Dredge and Cook: In a shallow bowl whisk the eggs. Then, dredge each side of the bread into the egg mixture and add to the hot skillet. Cook on each side for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown and heated throughout.
- Dust and Serve: Dust with powdered sugar and serve with raspberry preserves.
Can You Make this Ahead of Time?
Yes! You can make this Monte Cristo sandwich ahead of time! Prepare the sandwiches with the mustard and mayonnaise, and add the meat and cheese. Then, wrap each sandwich in foil. You can store them for up to 2 days in the refrigerator. When you are ready to eat them, then dredge the sandwiches in eggs and cook them up! Don’t forget the powdered sugar and jam!
Monte Cristo Sandwich (Disneyland Copycat)
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 8 slices White Bread
- 3 Tablespoons Mayonaise
- 1 Tablespoon Mustard
- 12 slices Swiss Cheese
- 8 slices Ham
- 8 slices Turkey
- 3 Eggs
- Powdered Sugar for dusting
- Raspberry Jam for serving
- Add the butter and oil to a large skillet and heat to medium. Lay the slices of bread on a baking sheet.
- Combine the mayonnaise and mustard and spread on each slice of bread.
- Add the cheese to each side of the bread. On one side add 2 slices of ham followed by another slice of cheese.
- Add the turkey and top with the other side of the bread.
- In a shallow bowl whisk the eggs. Dredge each side of the bread and add to the hot skillet. Cook on each side for 2-3 minutes or until golden and heated throughout.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve with raspberry jam.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.