This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Add some kick to a classic comfort meal with this insanely good jalapeño popper grilled cheese! It’s filled with melty colby jack, bacon, spicy jalapeños, and cream cheese to balance the heat and add creaminess. You’re going to love it!
Jalapeño Popper Grilled Cheese Recipe
Everybody loves a good jalapeño popper, so why not take those flavors and add them to another classic comfort food? I LOVE grilled cheeses and didn’t really think they could get any better. But adding spicy jalapeños, cool cream cheese, and bacon does just that! It’s the grilled cheese upgrade you never knew you needed.
You can make your grilled cheese on a skillet as per usual or make it in the air fryer for easy prep. Personally, this is my favorite way to make it! It turns out so crispy and divine! Either way, you’re going to love this cheesy, spicy, bacon-filled goodness.
Ingredients You’ll Need
Like any homemade sandwich, feel free to swap out the bread, cheese, or toppings to make it just the way you like it! The exact measurements I used to make my jalapeño popper grilled cheese are in the recipe card below.
- Jalapeños: These spicy peppers provide a kick of heat and flavor, giving the grilled cheese a signature jalapeño popper taste. Yum!
- Olive Oil: The olive oil helps sauté the jalapeños, enhancing their flavor and making them tender.
- Cream Cheese: Cream cheese adds a creamy and tangy element to the filling, reminiscent of traditional jalapeño poppers.
- Green Onions: Diced to add some mild onion flavor.
- Garlic Powder: For a little extra savory goodness. You can also use roasted garlic!
- Colby-Jack Cheese: The shredded Colby-Jack cheese brings gooeyness and a rich blend of flavors.
- Bacon: Crispy bacon adds a smoky and salty element to the jalapeno popper grilled cheese. Use precooked bacon for easy prep!
- Bread: I usually go for French bread or sourdough, but you can use any kind you want.
- Butter: Softened butter is spread on the bread to achieve a golden and crispy exterior during grilling.
- Garlic Salt (Optional): If used, garlic salt can add an extra layer of garlic flavor and season to the sandwich.
- Italian Seasoning (Optional): My favorite blend of herbs! They give the jalapeno popper grilled cheese extra flavor and make it smell amazing.
How to Make a Jalapeño Popper Grilled Cheese Sandwich
It’s just as easy as making a classic grilled cheese. The only extra step is to roast your jalapenos to really bring out their delicious flavor!
- Roast Your Jalapeños: Preheat the oven to broil. Place the whole jalapenos on a baking sheet, then drizzle with olive oil. Broil for 5-6 minutes, turning halfway through. Watch the jalapenos closely. They may broil quicker, depending on your oven.
- Allow Jalapeños to Sweat: Place the roasted jalapeños in a ziplock bag to “sweat” for 5 minutes.
- Remove Skin and Seeds: Remove the skin and cut each jalapeño in half lengthwise. Then, discard the seeds.
- Cream Cheese Mixture: In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese, green onion, and garlic powder.
- Add Spread: Spread the cream cheese mixture on one side of all four slices of bread.
- Layer With Toppings: Top two of the slices with shredded cheese, and the other two slices with bacon and roasted jalapeños.
- Butter: Carefully close the sandwich and butter the top slice of bread. Then add a sprinkle of garlic salt and Italian seasoning if you desire.
- Heat Skillet: Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Then place the buttered side down on the skillet and quickly butter and season the topside.
- Cook: Cook for about 4 minutes per side or until golden brown. Turn the heat down if the outside starts to brown too quickly. Low and slow is the key to melting the cheese and not getting the outside too dark.
Tips and Variations
Here are a few tips, tricks, and variations to make your jalapeño popper grilled cheese as tasty as possible! Trust me, once you have a grilled cheese like this, you won’t want it any other way.
- Wash Your Hands: Wash your hands thoroughly after working with jalapeño peppers. Especially after removing the seeds because they can irritate the skin. Remove fewer seeds if you like it really spicy!
- Roasting Jalapenos: Watch the jalapeños closely as they broil. They can get dark pretty fast!
- Switch Up the Cheese: I LOVE Colby-Jack cheese in this sandwich but feel free to use any kind of cheese. Cheddar, Monterey Jack, American, and provolone are all great options.
- Use Any Bread: Sourdough bread is my favorite, but you can also use white or wheat bread. Bakery-style bread would also be delicious, such as Italian bread or artisan bread.
- Bacon: Use pre-cooked bacon because you can make the sandwich quicker!
- Low and Slow: Lower heat is the trick to a good grilled cheese. It melts the cheese slowly but doesn’t burn the bread too fast.
How Long Will My Grilled Cheese Last?
This is one of those dishes that is best enjoyed immediately. What makes a jalapeño popper grilled cheese so good is the warm, crispy bread and melty goodness on the inside!
If you need to, you can store your sandwich in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 24 hours. Reheat on the stove to get it to taste warm and crispy again! Keep in mind that the longer your grilled cheese sits, the more soggy the bread will become as the cream cheese mixture seeps into it.
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Jalapeño Popper Grilled Cheese
- Preheat the oven to broil. Place the whole jalapeños on a baking sheet then drizzle with olive oil. Broil for 5-6 minutes turning halfway through. Watch the jalapenos closely, they may broil quicker depending on your oven.
- Place the roasted jalapeños in a ziplock bag to "sweat" for 5 minutes.
- Remove the skin and cut each jalapeño in half lengthwise. Discard the seeds.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese, green onion, and garlic powder.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture on one side of all 4 slices of bread.
- Top two of the slices with shredded cheese, and the other two slices with bacon and roasted jalapeños.
- Carefully close the sandwich and butter the top slice of bread. Add a sprinkle of garlic salt and Italian seasoning if you desire.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place the buttered side down on the skillet and quickly butter and season the topside.
- Cook for about 4 minutes per side. Turn the heat down if the outside starts to brown too quickly. Low and slow is the key to melted the cheese and not getting the outside too dark.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.