This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches are filled with tender chunks of roast beef with thin slices of melted mozzarella cheese all held together by a soft hoagie bread all dipped in au jus sauce. This warm, savory and comforting sandwich is a MUST!
Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwich
What is a French dip sandwich?
This classic French dip sandwich starts with a warm toasted French baguette or hoagie consisting of roast beef layered with a thinly sliced, melted cheese.
On the side is a bowl full of au jus sauce or beef juice broth for dipping your sandwich in.
The combination all together leaves your mouth watering for more.
This is the ULTIMATE French dip sandwich recipe!
What is the best meat for French dip sandwiches?
For my French dip recipe I prefer chuck roast because of the tenderness and juicy flavors it brings out from the slow cooker.
It also is a great meat to cook in a slow cooker or an instant pot.
My local deli cuts it there or you can trim it at home.
To save on time you can try using pre-packaged roast beef lunch meat however you will not have the thick and juicy chunks like a chuck roast.
If you are not planning to use a chuck roast, make sure to choose a well-marbled roast for the most tender slow cooked French dip sandwich meat.
A boneless ribeye, sirloin or brisket add more flavoring too and would also work well for slicing and using as the meat for French dip sandwiches.
The meat is the most important part and taking the time to slow cook it is essential for the BEST French dip sandwich.
What kind of bread do you use for French dip sandwich?
Crunchy, thick and hearty bread is just what you are looking for with this French dip recipe.
A good bread is key for holding it all together and still being able to dip your sandwich into au jus sauce.
Local bakeries or grocery stores sell fresh baked bread or rolls that are perfect for French bread sandwiches.
This combination is heavenly and can only be made if all the right ingredients are picked.
Take time to find the thick and rich bread that can hold your juicy roast for the Ultimate melt in your mouth French dip sandwich.
What you need to make French dip sandwiches
Simple ingredients for a simple melt in your mouth French dip sandwich recipe!
This tried and true recipe is just what you need to make the ultimate French dip sandwich recipe.
Each of these ingredients blend so well together and create a perfect well-blended au jus sauce.
This au jus sauce is being made while your roast is slowly cooking to perfection.
The combination all together is over the top and leaves you wanting more!
- Chuck roast: tender and juicy roast that slow cooks to perfection every time.
- Salt and pepper: to taste!
- Olive oil: helps sear the outer meat and tenderized the inside.
- Beef consommé: can of clear soup that is a great thickener.
- Beef broth: adds to the flavoring of the beef and makes your roast all juicy inside.
- Onion: sliced up and added in the broth.
- Soy sauce: great for bringing out so much flavor and adds a little salty touch to the beef which tends to soften the meat.
- Worcestershire sauce: a strong blend of aroma flavors that mix together well.
- Hoagie: thick and hearty bread that is soft to eat and great for dipping.
- Mozzarella cheese: thinly sliced and melted on the sandwich for a perfect combination.
How to make slow cooker French dip sandwiches
Easy French dip sandwiches come together quickly with this French dip sandwich recipe.
It is the best slow cooker French dip sandwiches recipe that you will find!
Let the slow cooker do all the work. Shredding your beef should be simple and easy once you have used my slow cooker French dip sandwich recipe.
Tender roast beef, slow cooked for hours and falling apart as you are cutting it up = pure joy, happiness and perfection in every bite.
This melt in your mouth French dip sandwich is one recipe you will continue to make week after week!
- Sear your roast: Generously season each side of the roast with salt and pepper. In a large skillet add the olive oil and turn to medium high heat. Sear each side of the roast for 3-4 minutes until it gets a golden brown crust.
- Add ingredients into the slow cooker: Place the roast into the slow cooker. Add the beef consommé, beef broth, onion, soy sauce, And Worcestershire sauce.
- Cook in the slow cooker: Cook on low heat for 8-10 hours or on high for 5-7 hours.
- Shred and prepare your sandwiches: Remove the roast from the slow cooker and shred with a fork and place on hoagies with a slice of cheese.
- Broil your French dip sandwiches: Broil the tops in the oven to melt the cheese and serve.
How to make instant pot French dip sandwiches
For an even quicker dinner meal this instant pot French dip sandwich recipe is one that will still have great meat and a delicious tasting sandwich.
I love all the flavors that come together and mix well in the instant pot.
This instant pot French dip sandwich recipe has the same great flavors as the slow cooker French dip sandwich recipe.
You will love the quickness and how tender your meat is after making it in your instant pot.
- Sear your roast: Generously season each side of the roast with salt and pepper. Turn the instant pot to saute and add thee olive oil. Sear each side of the roast for 3-4 minutes until it gets a golden brown crust. Turn the instant pot off.
- Add ingredients into the instant pot: Add the beef consommé©, beef broth, onion, soy sauce, And Worcestershire sauce. Add the lid to the pot and seal.
- Cook in the instant pot: Cook on high pressure/manual for 60 minutes. Do the natural release for 20 minutes and then quick release.
- Shred your meat: Remove the roast from the instant pot and shred with two forks.
What to serve with French dip sandwiches
This French dip sandwich is big enough to enjoy alone or with a sweet pickle on the side.
Sometimes my boys like to add ketchup or my Easy Homemade Barbecue Sauce to their French dip sandwich making it their own twist.
French fries and a good salad are usually my go-to with this French dip sandwich recipe but you can enjoy it with coleslaw too!
Here are a few more sides that go great with this slow cooker French dip sandwich recipe.
- Crispy Garlic Avocado Fries (Baked)
- Parmesan Garlic Roasted Potatoes
- Mouth Watering Strawberry Spinach Salad
- Crispy Cauliflower Fritters
- Garlic Ranch Smashed Potatoes
Tips for making slow cooker French dip sandwiches
Perfect your French dip sandwich with these little tips to making the all time best French dip sandwich!
Your bread, meat and cheese are the main ingredients and you will want to have the best of the best for the BEST results!
This tried and true French dip sandwich recipe is simple to make and tastes delicious.
It melts in your mouth with every bite you take!
- Seasoning your roast heavily adds more flavor and creates a caramelized outside when you sear it at the beginning.
- Searing your roast is a great way to add more flavor to your meat as well as tenderize the middle of the meat. You do not have to sear if you prefer or do not have the time to do so.
- If you have time, flipping your roast halfway through the cooking time helps it evenly cook but not necessary.
- Beef consomme is found in the canned section near the beef broth or other canned soups.
- Try adding onion soup mix instead of a sliced onion or both for a more onion taste.
- Substitute your hoagie roll for any type of thick, crunchy bread that will hold the juice from the meat and the sauce. You will want to avoid a thin or weak bread that will fall apart on you.
- Toast your bread in the oven for a few minutes before layering the ingredients over top. Watch over your bread so it does not burn or become too crispy.
- Buttering the rolls before toasting them helps to add a buttery flavor and a rich, thick crust.
- Before add the meat on your bread, I like to dip my meat back into the sauce for more flavoring.
- Before shredding your meat, let it cool for 5 to 10 minutes. This helps the meat stay together better.
- To thicken your au jus sauce add 2 tablespoon of cornstarch with 4 tablespoons of your au jus sauce. Bring to a simmer and let sit for a few minutes.
- For best results strain your au jus sauce to have it a rich and creamy sauce with no added chunks.
Storing French dip sandwiches
Bread does not last long when already assembled on your French dip sandwich.
I like to store the ingredients separately and when ready to make layer them all together.
This roast can make about 6 to 8 long and hearty sandwiches that are very filling.
- Refrigerating: make your French dip sandwich recipe in the slow cooker or instant pot. When cooked, let cool and separate the meat from the sauce. If you can leave the meat together that is best or in bigger chunks rather than shredding it. Store them separately in air tight containers. I like to add about a cup of juice to store the meat in to keep it tender while it is sitting.
- Freezing: prepare your meat in the slow cooker or instant pot and cook through. Once your meat is cooked through, let it cool. Add your meat to a freezer bag and store laying it flat. When ready to reheat let thaw in the refrigerator over night.
- Warming up: going back to the slow cooker I like to add the sauce and the meat in and warm up for about 1 hour or until it is warmed through. Then follow the French dip sandwich recipe for layering your sandwich.
Here are more slow cooker beef recipes to try
- Slow Cooker Beef Tips
- Slow Cooker Beef Bourguignon
- Slow Cooker Beef and Broccoli
- Slow Cooker Barbacoa Beef
- Slow Cooker Korean Beef
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwich (Melt in Your Mouth!)
SLOW COOKER INSTRUCTIONS
- Generously season each side of the roast with salt and pepper. In a large skillet add the olive oil and turn to medium high heat. Sear each side of the roast for 3-4 minutes until it gets a golden brown crust.
- Place the roast into the slow cooker. Add the beef consommé, beef broth, onion, soy sauce, And Worcestershire sauce.
- Cook on low heat for 8-10 hours or on high for 5-7 hours. Remove the roast from the slow cooker and shred with a fork and place on hoagies with a slice of cheese. Broil the tops in the oven to melt the cheese and serve.
INSTANT POT INSTRUCTIONS
- Generously season each side of the roast with salt and pepper. Turn the instant pot to saute and add thee olive oil. Sear each side of the roast for 3-4 minutes until it gets a golden brown crust. Turn the instant pot off.
- Add the Add the beef consommé, beef broth, onion, soy sauce, And Worcestershire sauce. Add the lid to the pot and seal. Cook on high pressure/manual for 60 minutes. Do the nartural release for 20 minutees and then quick release. Remove the roast from the instant pot and shred with two forks.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.