Slow Cooker Beef Bourguignon has crazy tender melt in your mouth beef and hearty veggies slow cooked to perfection in a rich sauce. This meal is comforting and perfect for the cold months ahead!
Slow Cooker Beef Bourginon
This is THE BEST BEEF STEW I HAVE EVER HAD!!!!
If you guys are looking for a comforting, hearty and blow you away with flavor beef stew this is your recipe.
Ok I am getting a little ahead of myself because I am so excited about this beef stew.
Who gets excited about a beef stew? Apparently this girl.
This has the most crazy tender beef inside with hearty vegetables and it has the absolutely best rich and delicious sauce!
I am a total beef stew lover especially when it cools down.
It took me a couple of recipes to get it right.
These are my requirements for the perfect beef stew:
✔️ Tender melt in your mouth beef
✔️ A thick and rich sauce
✔️ Big hearty pieces of vegetables, preferably carrots, potatoes, and mushrooms.
This stew had all of that and more and my family couldn’t get enough of it!
What is bourguignon?
The word bourguignon comes from a dish that is French and is called Buruandy in English.
Bourguignon is similar to a beef stew but has a few variations of ingredients and much more in depth flavoring.
A classic bourguignon has the presence of red wine in the recipe, which does cook out and is safe for kids to enjoy this bourguignon recipe.
This bourguignon recipe is thick and hearty with loads of flavor!
What you need to make slow cooker beef Bourguignon
There are a few extra steps involved in making this stew but I promise it is worth it.
Once you cook the bacon and pan sear the meat, you throw it all into the crockpot and let it do its thing.
This meal is truly the best flavored stew that I have ever had.
I know that your family will love slow cooker beef bourguignon just as much as we did!
- Bacon: cooked and chopped up into pieces.
- Beef chuck: boneless
- Red cooking wine: this will cook out slowly and is added for flavoring.
- Chicken broth: added for flavor and liquid to cook and cover the meat and vegetables.
- Tomato sauce: flavorful and soaks in with the meat and vegetables.
- Soy sauce: adds a rich and slightly sweet flavoring.
- Flour: a thickener for the soup.
- Garlic cloves: finely chopped and a pungent and little bit of spice flavoring.
- Thyme: earthy and a little bit dry taste that adds flavor.
- Carrots: thick chunks cut up.
- Baby potatoes: just wash and clean.
- Mushrooms: sliced and added into the slow cooker.
- Parsley: finely chopped
How to make slow cooker beef bourguignon
This stew starts off with cooking some bacon. But THEN you pan sear the meat in the bacon drippings.
Pan searing is just that extra step to make the edges crisp and the inside tender. Plus it just seals in the flavor!
Most good beef stews do have red wine in them.
This really brings out the deep and rich flavor in the sauce.
But rest assured the alcohol does get cooked out.
But I promise it is necessary in really bringing out this amazing flavor in the stew!
- Cook the meats: In a large skillet cook bacon over medium high heat until crisp. Put bacon in slow cooker. Salt and pepper the beef and add to the skillet and sear on each side for 2-3 minutes. Transfer beef to the slow cooker.
- Whisk together sauces: Add the red wine to the skillet scraping down the brown bits on the side. Allow it to simmer and reduce and slowly add chicken broth, and tomato sauce, and soy sauce. Slowly whisk in the flour. Add the sauce to the slow cooker.
- Add in remaining ingredients: Add garlic, thyme, carrots, potatoes, and mushrooms to the slow cooker. Give it a good stir and cook on low until beef is tender for 8-10 hours or high for 6-Garnish with fresh parley and serve with mashed potatoes if desired.
Tips on making slow cooker beef bourguignon
This beef bourguignon is known to be a decadent and one of the most flavorful stews.
It is thick and hearty with rich flavors that continue to grow while cooking.
Each ingredient is a key role in making this slow cooker beef bourguignon recipe the BEST.
Make this ahead of time and have all the aroma lofting about in your home.
Slow Cooker Beef Bourguignon is a MUST make this winter season.
It is comforting and warms you up on those cold nights.
Enjoy these tips to making this slow cooker beef bourguignon recipe even better!
- Cooking bacon: make sure to not over cook the bacon. The slow cooker will cook it a little more once it is added in.
- Brown the beef chuck: this will help ensure a crisp outer layer. This is a great way for the meat to cook perfectly in the soup.
- Red wine: leaving this out will be okay although it will leave out the most flavor and richness of this soup. I am not a wine drinker but this is a MUST for this to be cooked properly and to the fullest. The wine does cook out and will be safe for kids to eat.
- Mushrooms: I prefer crimini mushrooms. They have more flavor to them compared to the white button. Slicing or cutting in half is best.
- Onions: fresh onions are best. If you need to purchase frozen I recommend pearl onions, which are already pealed and have the most flavor.
- Chicken broth: beef broth will also work instead if you prefer.
- Garlic: if you don’t have garlic on hand, substitute the garlic for 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder.
- Bay leaves: add in bay leaves for more flavoring and intensity with this soup.
Frequently asked questions for beef bourguignon
Knowing how to make this slow cooker beef bourguignon even better is just what you need to make this the BEST EVER!
I love the flavors that blend together and how well it cooks in the slow cooker.
Impress your friends and family with this beautiful looking and tasting beef bourguignon recipe.
It is one of a kind and tastes AMAZING with SO much flavor!
Here are a few frequently asked questions that will help you when making this beef bourguignon recipe.
- Can you make this on the stove or in the oven? Yes, this is made a few different ways. Try my BEST EVER Beef Bourguignon for a stove and oven recipe.
- What is the best meat to use for beef bourguignon? Beef stew meat is easiest or chuck is great if you cut it up. Brisket is also another great type of meat to use for beef bourguignon.
- Which red wine is best for beef bourguignon? I am not a wine drinker but I prefer a dark burgundy wine. Pinot Noir or Chianti are also great options. The wine does get cooked out and is safe for families to enjoy. I recommend if you drink the red wine then that is the type to add in the beef bourguignon.
- What is beef bourguignon traditionally served with? To make this a complete meal, add potatoes, noodles or even rice and a side salad. For a bread a hard baguette or dinner roll works well.
Storing slow cooker beef bourguignon
This tried and true slow Cooker Beef Bourguignon is so simple to make and has loads of flavor!
This is even better made ahead of time or over the stove top.
You can’t go wrong with this simple to make slow Cooker Beef Bourguignon.
- Making slow cooker beef bourguignon ahead of time: the great thing about making this beef bourguignon ahead of time gives the soup more flavoring the longer it sits. This does great made the night before and stored in the refrigerator. It will last in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. When ready to reheat add it to the slow cooker or stove top to warm through.
- Can you freeze slow Cooker Beef Bourguignon? Yes, you can! I like to freeze it in freezer bags or a sealing bag that locks in all the flavors. I freeze them laying down and take them out the night before I am wanting to serve it. Defrost overnight in the refrigerator or you can defrost in the microwave if needed on low heat to warm through, stirring occasionally. It will freeze up to 3 months.
- Reheating slow cooker Beef Bourguignon: simply place the beef bourguignon in a slow cooker and reheat on low setting for 4 hours or until warmed through.
More delicious slow cooker beef recipes
- Slow Cooker Beef Tips
- Best Ever Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- Slow Cooker Barbacoa Beef
- Slow Cooker Korean Beef
- Slow Cooker Beef and Broccoli
Slow Cooker Beef Bourguignon
- 5 slices bacon finely chopped
- 3 lbs. boneless beef chuck cut to 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup red cooking wine
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons thyme finely chopped
- 5 medium Carrots sliced
- 1 pound baby potatoes I used tri color
- 8 ounce fresh mushrooms sliced
- fresh chopped parsley for garnish
In a large skillet cook bacon over medium high heat until crisp. Put bacon in slow cooker. Salt and pepper the beef and add to the skillet and sear on each side for 2-3 minutes. Transfer beef to the slow cooker.
Add the red wine to the skillet scraping down the brown bits on the side. Allow it to simmer and reduce and slowly add chicken broth, and tomato sauce, and soy sauce. Slowly whisk in the flour. Add the sauce to the slow cooker.
- Add garlic, thyme, carrots, potatoes, and mushrooms to the slow cooker. Give it a good stir and cook on low until beef is tender for 8-10 hours or high for 6-Garnish with fresh parley and serve with mashed potatoes if desired.
Updated on December 10, 2019
Original Post on November 13, 2016