This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
These Special K Bars are a delicious combination of smooth peanut butter, crispy Special K cereal, and a rich chocolate-butterscotch topping. This quick and easy recipe is a sweet treat that will leave you craving more.
I love easy dessert bars. They are the perfect handheld treat that can be made for any occasion! Check out some more of my favorites like these Easy and Delicious Carmelitas, these yummy Congo Bars, or these classic Perfect Lemon Bars.
What are Special K Bars?
Special K bars are a classic and delicious dessert bar made with a combination of smooth peanut butter, crispy Special K cereal, and a sweet and gooey mixture of sugar and corn syrup. Our family loves this yummy treat. My kids not only love eating it, but they love to help make it too!
This recipe is a go-to treat at our house because it’s so easy to make. The only cooking you must do is using the microwave (hello, kid-friendly recipe!). he rest is just mixing the ingredients. They come together in less than 15 minutes, so whether you enjoy them as an afternoon snack, a dessert at a potluck, or a lunchbox surprise, Special K bars are definitely going to become your favorite treat too!
Ingredients in Special K Bars
These ingredients are simple and easy and you probably already have most of them on hand! All you might need to grab at the store is some Specia K cereal and you will be all set! Check out the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact measurements.
- Peanut Butter: I use smooth peanut butter for this recipe, and it binds all of the ingredients together.
- Granulated Sugar: The sugar adds sweetness to this yummy treat.
- Light Corn Syrup: This sweet syrup makes the bars nice and chewy.
- Vanilla: A splash of vanilla extract enhances the flavor.
- Salt: A pinch of salt balances the sweetness.
- Special K Cereal: This rice and wheat flake cereal adds a nice crunch.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips: I like using semi-sweet chocolate but you can use milk chocolate if you prefer.
- Butterscotch Chips: These are mixed in to complement the chocolate and add a distinct flavor to the bars.
Let’s Make the BEST Dessert Bars!
These Special K dessert bars will fly off the table (which is why I suggest making two batches… Then you will for sure have some to snack on later)! The balance of sweet and salty with a hint of butterscotch is a flavor that you will absolutely love!
- Melt ingredients in the microwave: To a large microwave-safe bowl, add the peanut butter, sugar, and corn syrup and heat in 30-second increments. Stir after each 30-second increment until smooth.
- Stir in vanilla: Add the vanilla and salt and stir until smooth.
- Add cereal: Add the Special K and fold in until evenly coated. Pour into a parchment line 9×13 baking dish and gently press until even.
- Melt chocolate and butterscotch: Add the chocolate chips and the butterscotch chips to a microwave-safe bowl and heat in 30-second increments, stirring after each one, until smooth.
- Pour: Pour the chocolate mixture over the cereal and smooth it evenly across the top.
- Chill and cut: Let the bars chill for an hour or so until the chocolate is set. Then remove them from the pan and slice them into bars.
Not that you would ever get sick of these Special K bars as is (because they are so delicious), but in case you are looking for a few ways to change them up and keep them interesting, I’ve come up with some ideas!
- Fruity Twist: Mix in dried fruits like chopped raisins, cranberries, or dried apricots into the Special K mixture to add a hint of natural sweetness and a chewy texture.
- Coconut: Sprinkle shredded coconut over the top of the melted chocolate and butterscotch chips for a tropical twist that not only adds in a delicious texture, but the flavor combo is so good!
- Caramel Drizzle: Once the bars have chilled and set, drizzle a generous amount of caramel sauce over the top. It really takes them to the next level.
- Salted Caramel: Sprinkle a pinch of sea salt on the chocolate and butterscotch chips. It will make these Special K bars have the perfect balance of sweet and savory.
These delicious Special K bars can be stored after making or even frozen so that you can have some for later!
- In the Refrigerator: Place the bars in an airtight container or wrap them tightly with plastic wrap. Store the bars in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- In the Freezer: Place the bars in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, put them in the freezer, and let the bars freeze until firm. Once the bars are frozen, transfer them to a freezer-safe container or airtight freezer bag. Don’t forget to label it with the date. They should last about 2-3 months.
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Special K Bars
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 5-6 cups Special K cereal
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- To a large microwave-safe bowl, add the peanut butter, sugar, and corn syrup and heat in 30 second increments. Stir after each 30 second increment until smooth.
- Add the vanilla extract and salt and stir until smooth.
- Add the Special K and fold in until evenly coated. Pour into a parchment line 9×13 baking dish and gently press until even.
- Add the chocolate chips and the butterscotch chips to a microwave-safe bowl and heat in 30 second increments, stirring after each one, until smooth.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the cereal and smooth evenly across the top.
- Let the bars chill for an hour or so, until the chocolate is set, before removing from the pan and slicing into bars.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.