Amazing Sticky Buns
What’s In A Name?
These tasty little vittles are known by many names; Butterscotch Rolls, Overnight Caramel Rolls, Butterscotch Bubble Bread, Overnight Sweet Rolls, Butterscotch Pull Aparts, and Monkey Bread. Whatever the name the recipe is generally the same and the tasty is always amazing. I don’t think there is a wrong way to name them, but I do highly recommend that you make them and eat them!
Easy Sticky Bun Ingredients
Just six ingredients in these fabulous buns! No one can resist these delicate rolls covered in a sticky sweet nutty sauce, they are so amazing. You and your loved ones are going to love them.
- Chopped Pecans: These are optional, but I love the crunch they add.
- Frozen Rolls: I used Rhodes Rolls, but if you have a favorite brand of frozen rolls, they’ll work just fine.
- Cook and Serve Butterscotch pudding: This has to be Cook and Serve Pudding, NOT INSTANT 3.5 oz box, small.
- Cinnamon: Adds a bit of spice.
- Brown Sugar: Together with the butter and pudding creates a magical sauce.
- Butter: Unsalted or salted works.
Making Homemade Sticky Bun Magic
They are super easy and quick to throw together too! Using frozen dough is the big secret. This makes it so effortless. You are going to love everything about these.
- Place: In a well greased bundt pan place the chopped nuts, if using. Then evenly distribute 20 frozen rolls.
- Sprinkle: Pour the pudding mix powder over the rolls. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Melt: In a microwave bowl melt the butter and mix in the brown sugar. Drizzle over the rolls.
- Cover: Cover and let raise in a cool place overnight.
- Bake: In the morning bake at 350 degrees for 25 min. Let cool in the pan for 5 min then turn out onto a plate or platter and serve.
Tips and Variations
- Nuts: Using pecans is optional, but if you like crunch use them, you can substitute walnuts for the pecans too.
- Browning vs Burning: These need the full 25 min to make sure all the rolls get done. You do not want undone rolls. Place a sheet of aluminum foil over the top after the first 10 min of cooking. This will prevent the tops from burning but allow the bottom to cook long enough.
- Dripping: If you’re worried about caramel dripping over the sides, place the bundt pan on a cookie sheet to cook.
- Pan: This recipe can be made in a 9×13 pan if you don’t have a bundt pan. Grease a 9×13 and place the nuts. Place the rolls in single file on top. Pour the pudding, cinnamon and the butter mixture on top and raise. Cook at 350 for 25 min.
- Storing: These will keep covered tightly at room temperature for up to 3 days. Rewarm in the microwave, I do not recommend freezing.
More Scrumptious Overnight Breakfasts
It’s always nice to wake up knowing an amazing breakfast is waiting for you!
- Overnight Oats
- Night Before Cinnamon Apple French Toast Casserole
- Overnight Eggs Benedict
- The Best Overnight Breakfast Casserole
- Overnight Blueberry French Toast
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans optional
- 20 frozen Rhodes Rolls
- 1 3.5 ounce package Regular Butterscotch pudding has to be cook and serve (Not Instant)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- Grease a bundt pan. Add chopped nuts if using. Place the 20 rhodes rolls in pan.
- Sprinkle ½ package Jello Butterscotch cook and serve on top. Sprinkle the cinnamon on top.
- Melt the butter and mix with the brown sugar. Drizzle over rolls.
- Cover with a damp cloth and raise overnight. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Cook for about 10 minutes and then cover with aluminum foil. The top browns fast! The aluminum foil will help them to cook throughout and not brown the top quite as fast. But cook for the whole time or else the rolls on the bottom will be doughy!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
I’m excited to try these. What’s the best way to serve them? Right out of the pan or do you flip them onto a serving tray?
I always like to serve them on a serving tray but you are welcome to serve them right out of the pan. It is totally up to you! They are delicious either way! XOXO
Why not instant pudding??
What do you do with the other half of the pudding pack?
I save it for future use. 🙂
It must be a Canadian thing, but we always add raisins to things like this. Cinnamon buns, sticky buns etc. I you like raisin, try adding some. I thing you’ll love it!!
I sprinkle chopped pecans on these and that makes them extra yummy !
I tried that this year and it was AMAZING!!
These look awesome and super easy for Christmas morning. Do you only use 1/2 a package of pudding? Thanks and Merry Christmas!
Yes only use 1/2 of the package. 🙂 Merry Christmas to you!
I’ve made this recipe for Christmas for a decade now. We love it! I like to slightly defrost the rolls enough to chop them into fourths so they all get super gooey. Mm can’t wait for Christmas!
Do you put in refrigerator overnight or leave on counter to raise?
I leave it on the counter. 🙂
I’ve had this recipe since 1980. It was called 10 O’Clock Rolls then. So easy, delicious and impressive to make for company. 5 Stars
Just checking: we put them in the oven frozen or thawed? Thank you!
Frozen. They will thaw overnight. 🙂
What type of Rhodes rolls? The cinnamon bun variety? And where do you buy Rhodes rolls in canada?
Just the plain dinner rolls. 🙂
Did you ever reply to James about the baking/cooking directions and times (25 minutes followed by 10 minutes)? Thanks.
Sorry! I should clarify that. The cook time total is 25 minutes. I put them in the oven for 10 minutes and then cover the top with foil for the last 15 minutes so the top doesn’t brown quite as fast and it gets cooked throughout.
Do you use a small or large package of the Butterscotch cook and serve pudding?
Its the smaller size
Looks delicious! On step 4, you noted to bake for 25 minutes, then the next sentence you note to cook for an additional 10. Does this mean bake an additional 10 minutes?
I think she means to cover with foil after the first 10 min of baking time.
Yes! Thanks for clarifying that for me. 🙂
1/2 of WHAT of butter? Cup, stick, Tbls? Thanks.
1/2 cup. Sorry I have fixed that!
I made these this weekend and they turned out wonderful!!
Thanks for your great post featuring Rhodes! Feel free to call our customer satisfaction line for a coupon. 1-800-876-7333. Thanks! from the Rhodes Social Media Manager.
Would I find Rhodes Rolls in Florida?
YEs. Look in the frozen bread section at your grocery store.
This looks so good! I’m your newest follower. http://www.pinchofthisthatandtheother.blogspot.jp
My sister and I used to make a version of these for breakfast on the weekends for the family. We called it monkey bread. Yours looks perfectly ooey-gooey!
Yummy! Be sure come back at link up at Farmers Market Friday.
These look super delicious! I love sticky buns 🙂
My aunt used to make a recipe with butterscotch pudding and I’ve been searching for one for years! I was so excited to see it on the ingredient list!! Going to make these this morning for our early family Christmas.