This overnight breakfast casserole is perfect for holidays when you have guests, or even just when you need a hearty breakfast that’s made and ready to go. It’s simple, easy, and totally delicious!
Breakfast foods are some of my very favorites. You can eat them for breakfast, lunch or even dinner and you will get no complaints at my house! You must try some more of my favorites like these Amazing Breakfast Enchiladas, these yummy Denver Omelet Breakfast Muffins, or this Incredible Blueberry Buttermilk Breakfast Cake!
Overnight Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole Recipe
Ok, ok… raise your hand if you love slow cooker recipes. And what about breakfast? Yep, combine those two to make this insanely delicious and simple overnight breakfast casserole. The slow cooker does all the work for you while you sleep so that you can actually wake up and enjoy breakfast with your family! It’s so hearty and delicious because it’s packed with eggs, bacon and so much flavor.
This breakfast casserole recipe in particular is a hit at our house because the kids love it as is. I don’t have to alter it or take out certain veggies. Everything in it has been approved by my kids and I approve it because it’s so much healthier than sugar cereals (don’t get me wrong, those have a place at our house too). I love cooking this the night before a holiday so that we can wake up and eat it together but I don’t have to spend any time cooking. It’s a win-win!
Ingredients in Overnight Breakfast Casserole
You probably already have all of these ingredients in your kitchen and pantry so there is no excuse not to get cooking! Check out the recipe card at the bottom of the post for all of the exact ingredient measurements.
- Bacon: I like to cook my bacon up extra crispy for this recipe because it softens in the casserole.
- Onion: This will add in a lot of flavors to the base of the casserole.
- Green Pepper: The green pepper adds flavor and texture. I chop it up really small so that my kids don’t notice it!
- Clove Garlic: You can use fresh garlic cloves or you can use minced garlic. ½ teaspoon equals about 1 clove of garlic.
- Frozen Hashbrowns: This is so easy! You don’t need fresh potatoes, just use a bag of frozen hashbrowns!
- Cheddar Cheese: You can use any cheese that you like but I prefer shredded cheddar cheese.
- Eggs: I used large eggs whenever I am cooking.
- Whole Milk: The milk helps to bind the casserole together.
- Salt and Pepper: These will enhance all of the flavors in the casserole!
- Green Onion: This is optional but I think garnishing the top with it adds a delightful burst of flavor.
Let’s Make a Casserole!
This overnight breakfast casserole is only a few steps. It’s such a great recipe, especially if you have those busy, on-the-go mornings like we do at our house!
- Cook Bacon: Spray crockpot with nonstick cooking spray. Cook bacon until crisp, chop, then set aside.
- Sauté: Sauté onion, bell pepper, and garlic for 5 minutes
- Layer: Place ⅓ of the hashbrowns on the bottom of the baking dish. Add ⅓ bacon, ⅓ onion, green pepper, and ⅓ cheese. Continue layering and end with cheese.
- Pour: Whisk eggs, milk, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Pour the egg mixture over the ingredients. Cook on low for 8-10 hours. When done thermometer should read 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
You can easily change this overnight breakfast casserole and make it have different veggies and protein to fit your needs! Here are a couple of ideas:
- Protein: I love adding in some cooked sausage or ham in addition to the bacon. It not only adds in some additional flavor but I love the texture as well.
- Veggies: You could make this a vegetarian breakfast casserole by taking out the bacon and adding in some red bell peppers, green chilis, some mushrooms, or even some sweet potatoes!
How to Store Leftovers
Leftover overnight breakfast casserole is the best! I love eating it for lunch or even dinner the next day.
- In the Refrigerator: Once it has cooled, then you can store it in your fridge in an airtight container. it will last 2-3 days.
- To Reheat: You can reheat this easily in the microwave for 1-2 minutes or until heated through!
Overnight Breakfast Casserole
- 6-8 strips bacon
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 1 clove garlic peeled
- (1) 2 pound bag frozen hashbrowns
- 1 1/2 cups cheese shredded
- 12 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- green onion (for garnish)
- Spray crock pot with nonstick cooking spray. Cook bacon until crisp, chop, then set aside.
- Saute onion, bell pepper, and garlic for 5 minutes
- Place ⅓ of hashbrowns on the bottom. Add ⅓ bacon, ⅓ onion, green pepper, and ⅓ cheese. Continue layering and end with cheese.
- Mix eggs, milk, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Pour over the ingredients. Cook on low for 8-10 hours. When done thermometer should read 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
Variation of using the crock pot, instead, a temp and time, using baking pan in oven ? Thanks in advance, love so many of your delicious recipes . 😉
can i use pork sausage instead of bacon for this breakfast slow cooker recipe
Certainly going to try the overnight breakfast dish – having family come to visit and it will be perfect
I’ve seen a recipe similar to this and want to try it but am hesitant because of the milk in it. I have always been told that milk does not do well in the crockpot for any extended time. Yours sounds like it turned out fine so I think I will try it 🙂