This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Blueberry buttermilk breakfast cake is so easy to throw together for breakfast. It is incredibly moist, buttery, and bursting with fresh blueberries inside. One piece is never enough!
Every bite is jam-packed with the sweet taste of blueberry and moist, rich cake that will wake your taste buds early in the morning. It’s simple to make and is sure to get everyone out of bed, down to the table for a family breakfast together. Be sure to try these other cake recipes that fill your family with warmth and love like this Strawberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake, Banana Bread Crumb Cake, or Almond Poppy Seed Bundt Cake!
Blueberry Buttermilk Breakfast Cake Recipe
As a mom, I’m always looking for breakfast ideas that are both delicious and easy to make. That’s where blueberry buttermilk breakfast cake comes in! This sweet treat is perfect for those mornings when you want something a little bit special without spending hours in the kitchen. With its tender crumb and juicy bursts of blueberry, it’s sure to become a family favorite in no time. Plus, it’s versatile enough to serve as a dessert or a snack, too!
My family gobbled this down in about 2.5 seconds. It truly is INCREDIBLE. We loved every single thing about this cake and it is perfect for breakfast! Who wouldn’t want cake for breakfast, right?! This cake is buttery, moist, packed with juicy blueberries, and SO easy to make. Easy breakfasts are the best! Especially when they taste this good! Looking for more easy and delicious breakfast recipes? Try this overnight breakfast casserole or air fryer French toast sticks!
Blueberry buttermilk breakfast cake is made with simple ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen. Flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt form the dry base of the cake, while buttermilk, eggs, and melted butter make up the wet ingredients. What really makes this cake good though is all of the tasty blueberries! No fresh blueberries on hand? No worries! Frozen work just as well! Note: exact measurements can all be found in the recipe card below.
- Butter: Unsalted butter gives the cake a rich, buttery flavor. Softened butter is easier to work with than cold butter and mixes better with other ingredients. I like to let mine come to room temperature before using it.
- Lemon Zest: Adds a pop of bright, citrusy flavor to the cake.
- Granulated Sugar: Adds sweetness and gives the cake a tender texture.
- Egg: Binds all of the ingredients together.
- Vanilla Extract: This adds a sweet, floral flavor to the blueberry buttermilk breakfast cake.
- Flour: All-purpose flour works great to give the cake structure!
- Salt: Salt is used to balance the sweetness in the cake and enhance the flavors of the other ingredients.
- Baking Powder: Helps the cake rise and become fluffy.
- Blueberries: I used fresh blueberries but frozen also work! See my tip below.
- Buttermilk: Helps to tenderize the cake and adds a subtle tanginess. If you don’t have it on hand, you can make your own using my simple recipe here!
- Coarse Sugar: This is sprinkled on top of the cake before baking and gives it a crunchy, sweet topping. It’s larger than regular sugar and doesn’t dissolve as easily in the oven.
Can I Use Frozen Blueberries?
Yes you can! If you don’t thaw them, you just have to increase the baking time until a toothpick comes out clean since frozen blueberries add more liquid. Frozen blueberries may change the color of the batter but the cake itself will still taste delicious!
How to Make Blueberry Buttermilk Breakfast Cake
It only takes 15 minutes to prepare this scrumptious blueberry breakfast cake! Then it’s off to the oven, and you’re free to enjoy your morning as you please!
- Preheat Oven, Prep Pan: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish and set aside.
- Mix Ingredients: In a medium-sized mixing bowl, cream together the butter, lemon zest, and sugar. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Flour Mixture: In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the 1 and 3/4 cup flour, salt and baking powder. Toss the blueberries in the remaining 1/4 cup flour.
- Combine: Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture a little at a time alternating with the buttermilk until combined. Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Transfer to Pan: Spread the batter into the prepared baking pan. Sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake and Serve: Bake for 35-40 minutes or until it is cooked through and a toothpick comes out clean. Let rest for 15 minutes before serving. (This makes it easier to cut into squares!)
Tips and Variations
These are a few simple ways to make your blueberry breakfast cake just to your liking! This is one of my all-time favorite breakfasts. It’s just too good! The soft, buttery cake and juicy blueberries is an irresistible combo.
- Can I Substitute Blueberries With Other Fruit? Yes! This is also great with strawberries, apples with cinnamon and sugar, or even rhubarb. Raspberries or blackberries are great options too!
- What Can I Substitute Buttermilk With? For each cup of buttermilk, you can use 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice plus enough milk to measure 1 cup. Stir, then let stand for 5 minutes. You can also use 1 cup of plain yogurt or 1-3/4 teaspoons cream of tartar plus 1 cup milk.
- Avoid Overmixing Your Batter: The best part about this blueberry buttermilk breakfast cake is its soft, tender texture. If you overmix your batter, you run the risk of it being hard and dense. You’ll want to avoid using a heavy hand when mixing your ingredients together, and only mix until combined.
- Let Your Cake Cool: Wait at least 15 minutes before you cut into your cake. This will ensure you end up with uniform pieces that don’t fall apart!
How Long Does Blueberry Buttermilk Breakfast Cake Last?
In an airtight container, your cake should last for 3 days at room temperature or 5 days in the fridge. I LOVE having leftovers of this cake. It makes the perfect on-the-go breakfast!
Storing in the Freezer:
If you want your blueberry breakfast cake to last longer, keep it in the fridge! Wrap with plastic wrap and store in either an airtight container or freezer bag. It will last for 2-3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before enjoying.
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Blueberry Buttermilk Breakfast Cake
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×13 inch pan and set aside. In a medium sized mixing bowl, cream together the butter, lemon zest, and sugar. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the 1 and 3/4 cup flour, salt and baking powder. Toss the blueberries in the remaining 1/4 cup flour.
- Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture a little at a time alternating with the buttermilk until combined. Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Spread the batter into the prepared baking pan. Sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until it is cooked through and toothpick is clean. Let rest for 15 minutes before serving.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.