This Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole is an easy casserole, packed with flavor and perfect for breakfast or even dinner! Packed with eggs, sausage, peppers, spinach, cheese and topped with a layer of tater tots.
If you’re looking for an easy breakfast recipe the whole family will love, this Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole is the one! So packed with flavor and easy to put together for a quick weeknight meal. If you’re looking for more easy breakfast recipes, you might also enjoy this Breakfast Casserole, Denver Omelette Breakfast Muffins, or this Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole.
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
When it comes to easy and filling meals, a breakfast casserole is a great place to start.
It’s got everything you need in one handy — and tasty — package! Protein from the meat and the eggs, cheese, veggies (more or less if you prefer!) and some carbs for good measure.
This Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole is also easy to customize, so feel free to add in more of your favorite vegetables (really, almost anything will go — broccoli, mushrooms, peppers, kale, etc), add extra spice, a variety of breakfast meats, or a different kind of cheese. It’s a really flexible recipe that can go a lot of different ways!
How do you make Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole?
First, you start by preparing your ingredients. Shred your cheese, chop your vegetables, and cook any meat you are using that doesn’t come precooked.
I’m using breakfast sausage, so I fry that up until it’s golden brown, then cool enough to slice it.
Then you layer the ingredients: meat, vegetables, cheese, egg mixture in the bottom of a greased baking dish, and top with tater tots (no need to thaw!).
I put my tater tots on last because I like them as crispy as can be, but you can stir them in with the rest of the ingredients before pouring the egg on if you prefer.
Then, you simply bake until the eggs are set and the tater tots are golden. Slice and serve!
How to lighten up this breakfast casserole?
- Try using cauliflower or sweet potato tots in your frozen veggie aisle and use those instead.
- Choose a low fat milk instead of whole
- Try a low fat cheese.
- Add in extra vegetables.
- Choose turkey sausage or ham instead of pork sausage or bacon.
Want more easy breakfast recipes? Check these out:
- Loaded Breakfast Potato Skins
- The Best Breakfast Casserole
- Easy Ham Quiche
- Easy Mini Quiche with Spinach and Roasted Red Peppers
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- 14 breakfast sausage links cooked and sliced
- 1 bell pepper finely diced
- 1 cup fresh spinach finely chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions sliced
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 10 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 65-70 tater tots 1.3 lb approx.
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoning salt
- Lightly grease a 9x13" baking dish with non stick spray and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Layer sausages, peppers, spinach, green onions, and cheese in the baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt, parsley and pepper. Pour over the vegetables in baking dish.
- Top with rows of tater tots to cover the dish and sprinkle with seasoning salt. Bake for 40-45 minutes until eggs are completely set and tots are golden.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.