This moist Strawberry Crunch Cake is topped with a creamy whipped topping made with cream cheese and powdered sugar. The finishing touch is a delightful crunch topping made from crushed golden Oreos and freeze-dried strawberries.
I love a good strawberry dessert, especially in the summer months! It feels so festive and makes every BBQ have a deliciously sweet ending. Check out this Strawberry Tart, this delicious (and easy!) Fresh Strawberry Pie and this yummy Strawberry Icebox Cake.
Strawberry Crunch Cake Recipe
If you have never had strawberry crunch cake and are wondering what it is, you are in for a treat, especially if you love strawberries. The base cake is strawberry flavored ( you can make this from scratch with this recipe or from a box). It’s topped with a whipped topping, but the very best part is where you get the crunch. Sprinkled on top is a mixture of crushed vanilla Oreos and dehydrated strawberries.
We love this cake not only because it’s filled with strawberry flavor but the texture. It’s a match made in heaven. The cake is moist and delicious, but every bite has a delicious crunch. I love a recipe with a twist, and this one takes a classic cake to a whole other level!
What Ingredients are in Strawberry Crunch Cake?
The ingredients list is very simple. And once you try this recipe, you are going to want to make sure that you always have them on hand! All of the exact ingredient measurements can be found below in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Strawberry Cake Mix: You can make this easy by just grabbing boxed cake mix from the store!
- Strawberry Jello: I love strawberry gelatin, and this adds an extra punch of flavor to the mix.
- Eggs: I always use large eggs when I am baking.
- Vegetable Oil: This adds moisture to the cake, making it the perfect soft and fluffy texture.
- Milk: You can use 1 percent or 2 percent milk in this recipe.
Strawberry Crunch Topping
- Golden Oreos: Remove the filling from your Oreos before you make the topping.
- Freeze-Dried Strawberries: I find these in the aisle at the grocery store with nuts, chocolate chips, and baking additions.
- Butter: I used salted butter in this strawberry crunch cake recipe.
- Cream Cheese: Let this sit out and come to room temperature to mix in better.
- Powdered Sugar: This blends seamlessly, making the topping smooth and sweet.
- Whipped Topping: Let the Cool Whip thaw before mixing it with other ingredients. I like to keep it in my fridge rather than my freezer so that it’s ready to go.
Is Strawberry Crunch Cake Easy to Make?
Yes! This recipe is so simple and comes together in less than an hour. That’s baking and frosting time included! It’s a great recipe to be served with any meal for dessert. Everyone loves it!
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and spray a 9×13 baking dish with pan spray. Set aside.
- Mix the Cake Batter: Add the cake mix, jello powder, eggs, oil, and milk to a large mixing bowl. Use a hand or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Bake and Cool: Add the batter to the prepared baking dish and bake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean from the center and the center springs back when lightly pressed on. Let the cake cool completely.
- Make the Topping: To prepare the topping beat the cream cheese and powdered sugar in a bowl until smooth. Add ⅓ of the whipped topping and stir until smooth.
- Spread the Topping: Fold in the remaining whipped topping and spread evenly over the top of the cooled cake.
- Add the Strawberry Crunch: Add the golden Oreos (without the filling) and the freeze-dried strawberries to a large ziplock bag and crush with a rolling pin. You can crush them as much or as little as you’d like. I like a combination of chunky bits and crumbs. Sprinkle as much or as little as you’d like over the strawberry cake. I used about half of the mixture.
Variations and Substitutions
There are a few different ways to substitute ingredients for this strawberry crunch cake recipe in case you don’t have some of them on hand. Here are a few tips that you can try!
- Use oil instead of butter: Substitute the oil for melted butter if you would like a lighter crumb, though be aware that oil tends to make cakes a bit more moist.
- How to make homemade Cool Whip: If you can’t find whipped topping (Cool Whip) at your store, you can make some at home from scratch! Instead of using 8 ounces of whipped topping, mix 1 ½ cups of heavy whipping cream with 3 tablespoons of powdered sugar and mix until it forms stiff peaks.
- Half the topping: If you don’t like a lot of crumb topping, feel free to half the topping to ½ ounce of freeze-dried strawberries and 6 Golden Oreos.
Can I Make These Cupcakes Instead?
Yes! This strawberry crunch cake makes delicious cupcakes and is the perfect little hand-held treat to make this an easy grab-and-go dessert option.
- Add Batter to Liner: Fill 24 cupcake liners ⅔ of the way full with the batter.
- Bake and Cool: Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let the cupcakes cool.
- Add Cream Frosting and Crunch: Top with the cream and sprinkle each cupcake with the strawberry crunch mixture.
How to Store Strawberry Crunch Cake
I love a good make ahead option and this cake can be made up to 24 hours ahead of time, making it the perfect dessert!
In the Refrigerator: Because this cake has a cream topping, you will need to store it in an airtight container in your refrigerator. It will last up to 5 days.
Store leftover cake covered in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Strawberry Crunch Cake
- 1 box strawberry cake mix
- 1 (3 ounce) box strawberry jello
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup milk (1% or 2%)
- 1 dozen golden Oreos (filling removed)
- 1 ounce freeze dried strawberries
- ¼ cup salted butter, melted
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 8 ounces whipped topping, thawed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and spray a 9×13 baking dish with pan spray. Set aside.
- Add the cake mix, jello powder, eggs, oil, and milk to a large bowl. Use a hand or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add the batter to the prepared baking dish and bake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean from the center and the center springs back when lightly pressed on. Let the cake cool completely.
- To prepare the topping, beat the cream cheese and powdered sugar in a bowl until smooth. Add ⅓ of the whipped topping and stir until smooth.
- Fold in the remaining whipped topping and spread evenly over the top of the cooled cake.
- Add the golden Oreos (without the filling) and the freeze-dried strawberries to a large ziplock bag and crush them with a rolling pin. You can crush them as much or as little as you’d like. I like a combination of chunky bits and crumbs. Sprinkle as much or as little as you’d like over the cake. I used about half of the mixture.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
Such fabulous strawberry flavor. So easy to make and the crunch topping is unbelievably good! Thanks for such a great and easy recipe! Happy Memorial Day.