Cut out homemade Sugar Cookies that have a crisp edge and the softest center! Topped with my favorite cream cheese frosting and sprinkles this is a tried and true family sugar cookie recipe! You will agree that they are the BEST!
I sure do love sugar cookies! If a neighbor brings me over a plate of sugar cookies with frosting they will instantly become my new BFF. What is it about a fresh baked sugar cookie with frosting that is so delicious?
I have had a lot of sugar cookies in my day. Some are way to crisp and not soft enough on the inside. I love this recipe because it is the best of both worlds. A little crisp on the outside, but not too crisp, and they have the softest center! The edges don’t expand while baking and they come out looking in the perfect shape.
The recipe is a pretty basic and traditional sugar cookie recipe. The dough comes together in a matter of minutes. But I found that the secret to the best sugar cookie is added almond extract. The almond extract add such a rich and delicious almond flavor making them absolutely perfect.
The dough does require an hour of chilling time. So go change and fold some laundry or get caught up on a netflix show. 🙂 They are ready to be rolled out and cut into perfect and cute sugar cookies.
My kids love to help make sugar cookies and we loved spending some time in the kitchen making cookies together. We ate way to many cookies to count and had fun delivering them to friends.
These cookies are perfect for your Valentine’s Day festivities and are so good that you will want to make them throughout the year! This will become your favorite go to sugar cookie recipe that you will make again and again.
You are going to quickly agree that they are the best! Trust me. I made sure by eating at least 3! 😉
Sugar Cookie Recipe
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- food coloring if desired
- In a large bowl beat the butter until smooth and creamy for about one minute. Add the sugar and continue to beat until creamy for about 2 minutes. Add the egg, vanilla, and almond extract and continue to beat until incorporated.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Slowly add to the creamed mixture and continue to beat until the dough comes together. Form the dough into a ball and chill in the fridge for one hour and can be chilled overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper. Roll dough out to desired thickness (mine were ¼ inch thick) and cut with cookie cutters. Transfer to baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-11 minutes or until just set. I like mine more soft so I cooked mine for 8 minutes. Let cookies cool completely before frosting.
- To make the cream cheese frosting: Beat together cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add powdered sugar and vanilla and continue to beat until it is smooth and creamy. Frost cooled cookies.