A butter board is the latest trend that you absolutely MUST TRY for your next gathering! This board is packed with the most delicious butter that is drizzled with honey and lemon zest and adds the perfect touch to your favorite bread!
I love a delicious appetizer board with so many different food options, and a charcuterie board does precisely that! You need to try my Fall Charcuterie Board, this delicious Hot Chocolate Charcuterie Board, or my Simple Charcuterie Board. They offer so many delicious things to eat, making them perfect for a large crowd!
What is a Butter Board?
If you’ve been paying attention to social media (especially TikTok), then you may have seen the viral trend of a butter board. It’s basically when you spread a delicious butter of your choice (I used New Zealand Sea Salt Crystal Butter) on a wooden board. Then, you drizzle and sprinkle on some extra flavors… When you are finished putting it together, you serve it with your very favorite crusty bread.
This trend is brilliant because this not only makes a tasty appetizer for any occasion but… it is a beautiful way to display classic bread and butter that you already have with just about any meal! Charcuterie boards were the beginning of this craze, and I love seeing them evolve into a delicious butter board like this one. You definitely want to hop on board this trending train!
Ingredients on a Butter Board
These ingredients are simple and easy and can be changed up according to your taste! Check out the recipe card at the bottom of the post for all of the exact measurements!
- Butter: I used New Zealand Sea Salt Crystal Butter in this butter board recipe.
- Honey: Drizzle the honey on top to add a sweet flavor to the butter.
- Lemon Zest: Add in the tang of a lemon with some lemon zest.
- Dried Fruit: I used tangerines, peaches, and strawberries to decorate the board. They add a delightful fruity taste to complement the butter.
- Honeycomb: The honeycomb adds an elegant element to the butter board.
- Coarse Sea Salt: Sprinkle this on to enhance the butter’s flavors.
- Fresh Rosemary: I love adding in the dark green color of fresh rosemary sprigs.
- Crostini Bread: A hard and crusty bread is the best for scooping butter off of the board.
How Do You Make a Butter Board?
This just might be one of the easiest food trends to replicate right now! It only takes a few steps, and then you will be on your way to indulging in this insanely delicious butter board!
- Spread Butter: On a square board, spread the softened butter evenly on the board with a knife or a spoon. Leave about 3 inches around the edge. Add a drizzle of honey.
- Grate: Grate some lemon zest and sprinkle on top of the butter.
- Add Dried Fruit: Top with tangerines, peaches, strawberries, and honeycomb.
- Sprinkle and Serve: Sprinkle coarse sea salt on top and top with fresh rosemary. Then, serve with your favorite crusty bread.
Making a butter board is easy, and you can easily switch up all of the parts of the board each time to fit your occasion! Here are a few variations that you can try!
- Add Heat: If you love adding a little bit of heat to your dishes, try sprinkling on some red pepper flakes. The more you add, the hotter it gets, and it will taste delicious!
- Green Onions: Instead of the rosemary, add in a pop of color and flavor with some fresh, thinly sliced green onions.
- Nuts: Try adding some pecans, slivered almonds, or walnuts to the board. They add great texture and taste without changing things up too much.
- Make it Sweet: I know this is a butter board, but you could easily switch up the base to cream cheese! Use different flavors, add things like dollops of jam, and garnish it with some fresh berries! You can still use crusty bread to eat it with, or you could even slice up some bagels and make it a breakfast board!
How to Make it Ahead of Time
Whether you are making this ahead of time or you have leftovers, storage is the key! Here are some tips on how to keep this fresh and tasting as good as new!
In the Refrigerator: If you plan on making this ahead of time, then I would store the bread separately and add it to the board just before serving. Store the board in the fridge and cover it with some foil or plastic wrap. When you are ready to eat it, slice up your bread, serve and enjoy!
The Very Best Butter Board
- 8 ounce high quality butter softened (I used New Zealand Sea Salt Crystal Butter)
- lemon zest
- dried tangerines
- dried peaches
- dried strawberries
- coarse sea salt
- fresh rosemary
- crostini bread (for serving)
- On a square board, spread the butter evenly on the board, leaving about 3 inches around the edge. Drizzle with honey.
- Grate some lemon zest and sprinkle on top of the butter.
- Top with tangerines, peaches, strawberries, and honeycomb.
- Sprinkle coarse sea salt on top and top with fresh rosemary. Serve with favorite crusty bread.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.