This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Yum Yum Sauce, the name says it all! This Japanese steak house mayo-based sauce can be made easily at home! This popular sauce is light, sweet and tangy!
Homemade Yum Yum Sauce Recipe
Yum Yum Sauce is a staple at Japanese Hibachi restaurants and is so delicious! Hibachi is a method of cooking meat, vegetables, and seafood on a high-heat metal cooking plate, and at Japanese restaurants in North America, this sauce is almost always on the table with your meal!
This is so easy and simple that you’ll wonder why you’ve waited so long to try it. You can find this sauce sold at stores, but this is much easier to make from home. Try serving it with some shrimp, drizzling it on this sushi bake, or even dipping your fries in it!
Yum Yum Sauce Ingredients
These ingredients are so simple, but they pack a punch when it comes to flavor! Check out the recipe card at the bottom of the post for all of the exact measurements.
- Mayo: The mayonnaise acts as a creamy base for the sauce.
- Rice Vinegar: Adds a zing of deliciousness but is a MUST for yum yum sauce.
- Tomato Paste: Do not substitute this with ketchup.
- Paprika: I use sweet paprika in this recipe (NOT smokey)
- Garlic Powder: The garlic flavor complements the other flavors so well.
- Sugar: The sugar counteracts the acid in the tomato paste and binds everything together.
- Butter: I use unsalted butter in this recipe.
- Salt and Pepper: These enhance all of the flavors in the sauce.
- Water: The water thins the sauce to the right consistency.
How to Make Yum Yum Sauce
This must-have sauce is so simple to make at home; you won’t have to go to a Japanese steakhouse to get it!
- Mix: Whisk all the ingredients except the water together in a small bowl. Then, thin with the water to the desired consistency.
Make it Spicy
This yum yum sauce is so delicious, but you can definitely change it up by cranking up the heat! Try adding in some cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes to make this nice and hot.
- In the Refrigerator: This yum yum sauce is best stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 10 days. However, this is so easy to make; you can make small batches and make it fresh every time you need it.
- Make it Ahead of Time: The longer the sauce sits before you use it, the better. It gives time for the flavors to meld.
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Yum Yum Sauce
- In a small bowl whisk the mayonnaise, rice vinegar, tomato paste, paprika, garlic powder, sugar, butter and salt and pepper.
- Add water as needed to get the desired consistency.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.