These could quite possibly be the best cookie bars that I have ever made. I mentioned earlier that my oven went out. We thought that it was fixed but now it gets way to hot and burns things. I have really been having withdrawals from baking a yummy treat. You can only do so much with a slow cooker, microwave and a toaster oven. Sigh. So I spent my Friday night doing some baking at my parents house. It turned out to be quite nice. I relaxed while I was baking and caught up on some chit chat with my dad. They will let me use their oven any day in exchange for a yummy treat.
These bars though. I can’t believe how heavenly they were! Perfect sugar cookie base. Moist and delicious. And I love anything that has to do with red velvet. The best part. The cream cheese frosting. Wow. You are going to love these bars! And so will everyone around you. I know that red velvet is big around Valentine’s Day, but these are going to be made year round at our house!
- 3⅓ cups flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons (one 1-ounce bottle) red food coloring
- Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 2 8 Oz cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Have a 9x13 inch pan ready. I like to line mine with aluminum foil and spray it with cooking spray so that the bars easily lift out and are easy to cut.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together 1 cup butter softened and sugar until light and creamy. About 2-3 minutes. Beat in the eggs, vanilla, and food coloring until combined.
- Add the flour mixture until a soft dough forms. Press into the bottom of the 9x13 inch pan. Bake for about 20 minutes until the edges start to pull away from the sides and a toothpick entered into the center comes out clean. Allow to completely cool before frosting.
- To make the cream cheese frosting, Beat together the cream cheese and butter. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat together until smooth. Frost the top of the bars and enjoy!
Recipe Adapted from Chocolate Moosey
Subscribe to the Recipe Critic Blog and get family friendly recipes via e-mail.