Slow Cooker Loaded Baked Potato Soup

Hands down the best loaded baked potato soup that I have ever had!  Creamy and delicious with all of the goodness of a baked potato and made right in your slow cooker!slowcookerbakedpotatosoup

Baby it’s cold outside!  The sun was actually out today but it was freezing!  I always question every year why I live in Utah and not somewhere warm.  We all stay hibernated inside of our houses and count down the days until spring.  We have almost made it through January and spring is just right around the corner.

There is one thing that I look forward to every winter and that is a good soup!  They become a weekly meal at our house and seem to warm you right up.  Potato Soup is my favorite.  But this one is the best!

slowcookerloadedpotatosoupI have a couple of favorite potato soups on the blog that I was able to adapt from.  This making it the ultimate loaded potato soup.  I still wanted the tender potato chunks in the soup because it resembles a baked potato more.  You can always blend it together and make it smooth.  The flavor is amazing!

One of my favorite parts of this soup are the toppings.  Pile it on with cheese, bacon and green onions and you are good to go!   It totally reminds me of a baked potato and the soup is so creamy and has sour cream right inside.   Best.soup.ever.  Go and try it for yourself!  I think you will agree! 🙂

bakedpotatosoup3

4.9 from 9 reviews
Slow Cooker Loaded Baked Potato Soup

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

The best loaded baked potato soup that is made right in your slow cooker.
Author:
Serves: 4-6
Ingredients
  • 4 cups peeled and diced potatoes (about 3-4 large russet potatoes)
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • ¼ cup flour
  • ¼ cup sour cream
  • 1½ cup heavy cream (half and half will also work)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • Optional toppings:
  • Bacon, cooked and crumbled
  • 1½ cups cheddar cheese
  • green onions
Instructions
  1. Add potatoes, diced onions and chicken broth to your slow cooker. Cook on low 4-6 hours or high 3-4 until potatoes are tender.
  2. About 30 minutes before it is done, In a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Whisk in flour and cook until bubbly. Slowly add heavy cream, sour cream. The mixture should be thick. Add this to the soup and stir. Continue to cook in slow cooker for 20-30 minutes.
  3. Serve with toppings, or you can also stir them all into the soup. Enjoy!

Alyssa

I am Alyssa and the blogger behind The Recipe Critic. I started my blog in June of 2012 as a place to share my passion for cooking. I love trying new things and testing them out with my family.
Previous Post
No Bake PB Choc Chip Granola Bar

No-Bake Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Granola Bars

Next Post
soup-collage-3

Top 22 Slow Cooker Soup Recipes

Comments

1. Sarah Cresap says:

I’m freezing! This soup looks wonderful! You can also substitute cream with evaporated milk. I do it all the time and I’ve never noticed the difference.

2. I tried one almost the same only difference more potatoes where used it was excellent I made it again as my husband even liked it.

3. I had to read the recipe twice because it’s SO easy I thought I was missing something! Pinned =)

4. This looks so yummy! And seriously– these photos are GORGEOUS! Perfect lighting!!

5. This was the first time I ever made bake potato soup, and it was amazing. The whole family enjoyed it, even the pickiest 10 year old you will ever meet. I mixed the bacon and cheese right in!!

6. It’s so nice and colorful. Should not look at such a recipe when I’m very hungry!

7. I tried this recipe and it was amazing! The only thing we changed was to add a whole pint of half and half instead of what the recipe said, and also used pre-cooked bacon from the store. It turned out much creamier and the flavor was awesome! Definitely keeping this recipe. My husband loved it from the first spoonful.

8. Have it in the crock pot right now!! Smelling really good, I know it’s going to be delicious 🙂

9. This soup is going on it’s 5th hour and my potatoes are still not soft enough to mash. Are the potatoes supposed to be firm? Whats the consistency supposed to be for this soup? Chunky? Debating if I should let it cook for 6 hours on low? Can anyone advise?? I’ve never made potato soup before so not sure what to expect! Thank you!

10. This looks amazing. Would a double recipe fit in a 5 qt slow cooker?

11. OMG!!! this looks divine!! I want to make this but I do not have a slow cooker. Can I use a pressure cooker instead? or bake it in the oven? In either case how much would the cooking time be?

12. Carla, The only times I’ve made this soup have been on high and it has cooked pretty well. The recipe makes it a little bit chunky, but not like a stew. I added more cream and it made it more manageable to eat as a clam chowder-ish consistency. How big did you dice the potatoes? They might be too thick.
    Nats, there are some cooking time conversions on Pinterest if you wanted to make it in a soup pot on the stovetop. Try looking at those to see what you can find!

13. what happened to the Cream Cheese that was supposed to be added to this, you do not have anything about cream cheese in your recipe,

14. May we reprint the recipe portion in our school newspaper? The students used this recipe for their science at home class. We are a residential Deaf school and publish four times a year.

15. Tawni Miller says:

I used an immersion blender in the potato mixture before I added the cream mixture. I like my potato soup to be creamy and it would have been too chunky. Great recipe though!

16. Yummy. Made this tonight for dinner. So good! We added a can of cheddar cheese soup to make it a little cheesier! Loved it. Will be making it often. Thanks for the recipe.

17. Made thisome today while we are getting buried by a blizzard in Southeast PA! So delicious and perfect for a snowy day. Even my picky kiddos LOVED it. Thank you!

18. Is this recipe for a 6 quart slow cooker? I only have a 3 qt and wanted to make sure I didn’t overflow it!

19. This was delicious my only complaint is it didnt make enough lol will be doubling it next time thank you for the recipe loved how simple it was to make.

20. This soup is so good! I used the 4-hour method and it turned out great. I used red potatoes since that’s all I had. I also only had 1 cup of cream so I used that and 1/2 cup of half & half.

21. Made this the other not and followed the recipe with one minor change. I had seen the use of hash browns in some other recipes and decided to do that instead of cutting up potatoes. Literally made this the easiest soup ever, and one of the most delicious!

22. Tried this tonight and it was so so good! Thanks so much for this recipe! This will be a go to meal for us that’s for sure 🙂

23. Kristin Stash says:

It was good. I would also mash the potatoes before serving, I prefer it more creamy rather than chunky. I thought I needed more seasoning…added Worcestershire and celery salt. All 3 of my girls loved it!

24. Just made this recipe. As I was cooking, my extremely picky 9 yr old daughter asked what I was making and was completely against the idea of potato soup. As “Official Taste Tester,” she now approves and keeps sneaking spoonfuls while it’s still in the crockpot. Very good! The only thing I did differently was use half and half instead of heavy cream and added a little pepper and garlic salt. New family favorite! Thanks so much for the recipe!

Speak Your Mind

*

Rate this recipe: