Baby it’s cold outside! The sun was actually out today but it was freezing! I always question every year why I live in Utah and not somewhere warm. We all stay hibernated inside of our houses and count down the days until spring. We have almost made it through January and spring is just right around the corner.
There is one thing that I look forward to every winter and that is a good soup! They become a weekly meal at our house and seem to warm you right up. Potato Soup is my favorite. But this one is the best!
I have a couple of favorite potato soups on the blog that I was able to adapt from. This making it the ultimate loaded potato soup. I still wanted the tender potato chunks in the soup because it resembles a baked potato more. You can always blend it together and make it smooth. The flavor is amazing!
One of my favorite parts of this soup are the toppings. Pile it on with cheese, bacon and green onions and you are good to go! It totally reminds me of a baked potato and the soup is so creamy and has sour cream right inside. Best.soup.ever. Go and try it for yourself! I think you will agree! 🙂
- 4 cups peeled and diced potatoes (about 3-4 large russet potatoes)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1½ cup heavy cream (half and half will also work)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional toppings:
- Bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1½ cups cheddar cheese
- green onions
- Add potatoes, diced onions and chicken broth to your slow cooker. Cook on low 4-6 hours or high 3-4 until potatoes are tender.
- About 30 minutes before it is done, In a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Whisk in flour and cook until bubbly. Slowly add heavy cream, sour cream. The mixture should be thick. Add this to the soup and stir. Continue to cook in slow cooker for 20-30 minutes.
- Serve with toppings, or you can also stir them all into the soup. Enjoy!
Latest posts by Alyssa (see all)
- Weekly Menu Plan #77 - December 3, 2016
- One Pan Crispy Parmesan Paprika Chicken with Vegetables - November 27, 2016
- Overnight Caramel Banana French Toast with Caramel Syrup - November 26, 2016