Everything you love about fajitas, comes together in this hearty warm satisfying Slow Cooker Chicken Fajita Soup. Tender chicken surrounded by beans, corn, and spices simmers all day to perfection. Top it off with cheese and your favorite toppings and it’s a home run for dinner. It’s super simple to throw together and is fun twist on a classic favorite. Fajitas you can eat with a spoon! What’s not to love?!
Grace your table with this easy delicious meal with a side of Jalapeno Cornbread or Homemade Cornbread and Easy Honey Butter for the perfect weekday or weekend meal!
Slow Cooker Chicken Fajita Soup
Creamy, quick, hearty and oh so tasty! This is such a wonderful soup to make. I love how easy this recipe comes together and it’s so packed with flavor. It’s so comforting and satisfying, perfect for a chilly evening. It’s a bowl to delight the senses. It has so many textures, smells amazing and is so colorful it’s perfect.
There just isn’t too much that can go wrong with this super simple easy meal. You’ll love it for it’s ease and it’s hearty goodness.
Chicken Fajita Soup Ingredients
- Chicken boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Cream of Chicken Soup 2 cans condensed
- Salsa One cup of your favorite kind
- Corn Two cups frozen, you can use canned, just drain it first.
- Black beans one can drained and rinsed
- Water to create that yummy soup consistency
- Cumin is a classic Mexican spice
- Cilantro use dried for the soup so it doesn’t disintegrate, use fresh for the toppings
Making Slow Cooker Fajita Soup
- Spray your slow cooker with cooking spray and add chicken to the bottom.
- Mix together in a medium sized bowl the cream of chicken soup, salsa, corn, black beans, water cumin and cilantro and pour over the top of the chicken.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours. Remove the chicken and shred with two forks and add back into the slow cooker followed by the shredded cheese. Cook an additional 15 min till cheese is melted
- Serve with your favorite toppings
Chicken Fajita Soup Variations
- Chicken: You can use skinless boneless chicken thighs instead of breasts
- Vegetarian: Omit the chicken all together for a vegetarian version
- Veggies: Saute chopped peppers, and onions to beef up your veggie content
- Spices: Use chili powder or a fajita seasoning to add more spice and flavor
- Tomatoes: You can also add a can of diced tomatoes, or fire roasted tomatoes for extra flavor, you don’t even have to drain it.
Optional Fajita Soup Toppings
Fajitas wouldn’t be the same with out toppings pick your favorites for the perfect soup everytime.
- Shredded Cheese
- Chopped Tomatoes
- Sliced Avocados
- Green onions Chopped
- Fresh Cilantro
- Tortilla Strips or Chips
- Sour Cream
- Hot Sauce such as Cholula
More Mexican Soup Recipes
Everyone loves tacos and combining those irresistible flavors in a warm hearty soup is just Amazing!
- Chicken Tortilla soup
- 8 Can Chicken Taco Soup
- Easy Cheesy Taco Soup
- Green Chile Enchilada Soup
- Crockpot Taco Soup
Slow Cooker Chicken Fajita Soup
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 10.75 ounce cans condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- diced tomatoes
- green onions
- diced avocado
- tortilla strips
- Spray your slow cooker with cooking spray. Add chicken to the bottom of the slow cooker.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, mix cream of chicken soup, salsa, corn, black beans, water, cumin, and cilantro. Pour over the top of chicken.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours. Remove the chicken and shred with two forks. Place back into the slow cooker and add shredded cheese. Continue cooking until cheese has melted about 15 minutes. Serve with your favorite toppings.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
I came across this and thought it sounded great as I love chicken tortilla soup and thought it sounded like that, doesn’t sound anything like fajita soup as there is literally no onions or bell peppers which is what fajitas are primarily made of. Regardless, made the recipe exactly as is and was so disappointed! Had no flavor to it. I ended up adding about another cup of salsa, couple shakes tabasco sauce, 1/2 packet of taco seasoning, chili powder, and garlic salt. Even after all that it was only meh. Served with sour cream, fritos, avocado, tomato. I will finish it off because I hate wasting food but I’m not looking forward to it. Will not be making agin.
I made this today for dinner and It was really good! My husband doesn’t like beans so I didn’t add them and I also didn’t have any cilantro also but over all it was super good! I also added some sliced jaloenos on top! will forsure be making this again!
can I cook the chicken then add all the ingredients and enjoy? or does it have to be done in a slow cooker?
I haven’t tried that before but that should work just fine! Cook the chicken and then add it to your ingredients and cook it in a pot on the stove. It might not be as flavorful because the ingredients don’t have as much time to blend together.
This is so easy and the entire family loved it! Thank you!!
One of my go to soup recipes. So simple and delicious. Everyone loves it.
This soup is always simply delicious! It’s a go-to favourite over and over!!
I’m wondering though … if you add a cup of white rice (uncooked) how much water would you need to add, and would that change/lengthen the overall cooking time??
How do you make this in the instant pot?
Easy to make and Delicious!,
I have made this before and it’s amazing but have a question. Can I use cream of mushroom condensed soup instead of cream of chicken condensed soup? Or will it throw off the flavor a lot?
It will change the flavor but it will still taste good!
Can I make this recipe using frozen chicken breast?
It is best if you thaw the chicken breast ahead of time.
Hi, I make this all the time with frozen chicken breasts. It may be better thawed but I don’t know the difference and it’s delish!! My picky 16 yo daughter requests it all the time. The only thing I do differently is I use a packet of taco seasoning instead of the individual seasonings and I use fresh cilantro just because we love cilantro. I cook it on low for roughly 8 hours instead.
I have made your recipe several times but I think this time is my favorite. I used chicken stock instead of water, doubled the cheese and added three minced chipotles from a can of chipotles in adobo. I top it with diced avocado, a dollop of sour cream and tri-color tortilla strips. It is truly a southwest style soup. It is creamy and spicy and so, so flavorful! I could eat this over almost any chili!
This is my go-to soup in the fall and winter. It is absolutely delicious.
Would this soup freeze well after being cooked? I cook for one and often have lots of leftovers (even if I half the recipe). I’ve been trying to find a variety of recipes I can freeze so I can cook less. Thanks!
Yes, this is a great freezer meal soup!
We make this in the insta pot once a week! SO GOOD!!
How long do you cook this in the Instant Pot? Thanks!
Curious how long and what setting in the insta pot? Thanks!
Yummy goodness! My husband and I loved i! Thank you for sharing
So good & easy to pull together. Thanks
It was so easy make and everyone like it.
Made this a couple of weeks ago, and it was a hit with the whole family. Doing it again this week. 🙂
Love his recipe!!! I make it all the time! I usually put it on high for 3 hours.