This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Experience the wild west in a bowl with this Cowboy Hamburger Soup recipe! This comforting blend features seasoned ground beef, veggies, and a touch of Tex-Mex, simmered to perfection in a hearty beef broth.
What is Cowboy Hamburger Soup?
There is nothing better than a hearty, delicious soup on a crisp or cold day. This cowboy soup has a blend of delicious flavors, and the best part about it is that you probably already have most of the ingredients at home, ready to go! It all cooks up in one pot, making it easy to make and even easier to clean up!
Hamburger soup is a tasty and filling dish made with ground beef, veggies, and broth. It doesn’t have a specific place where it comes from; it’s just a kind of soup that people make using common ingredients like beef and vegetables. People everywhere like it because it’s simple, and you can change the flavors based on what you like! In fact, once you try this, then you have to try the next level of this soup… Cheeseburger soup!
Ingredients in Hamburger Soup
This ingredient list is long, but the reason why is because every single flavor used is what makes this soup insanely delicious. It’s savory and hits the spot for lunch or dinner! Check out the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact measurements.
- Olive Oil: I use olive oil to cook all of the veggies in to get them nice and soft.
- Onion: It gives the soup a good flavor and a nice smell.
- Carrots: These are crunchy and sweet, adding to the taste.
- Celery: It adds a bit of texture and makes the soup taste better.
- Ground Beef: This makes the hamburger soup filling and satisfying to eat.
- Garlic: It adds a tasty kind of spiciness to the soup.
- Cumin: This spice makes the soup’s flavor warm and cozy.
- Chili Powder: It adds a little bit of heat and makes the soup more interesting.
- Oregano: This herb adds a nice smell and taste to the soup.
- Kosher Salt: It balances the flavors and makes everything taste just right.
- Ground Black Pepper: This adds a little bit of spiciness to the soup but not too much heat.
- Canned Diced Tomatoes: These are tangy and juicy, adding some delicious flavor.
- Canned Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies: These give the soup a bit of a spicy flavor.
- Canned Chili Beans: They add more protein to the meal.
- Canned Corn: This adds color and a nice texture.
- Canned Green Beans: They bring more texture and flavor to the soup.
- Yukon Gold Potatoes: I love adding potatoes to this hamburger soup because they make it nice and hearty.
- Beef Broth: This adds flavor to the base for all of the ingredients.
- Cilantro or Parsley: These are added at the end for a fresh look and taste.
How to Make Hamburger Soup
This soup may have a lot of ingredients but putting them all together is a breeze! Only a few simple steps and you will be enjoying this soup in no time!
- Cook the Raw Veggies: Add the olive oil to a large stock pot and heat over medium-high heat. Add the onions, carrots, and celery and cook until tender.
- Cook Meat: Add the ground beef and cook until no longer pink.
- Add Seasonings: Next, add garlic, cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt, and pepper. Stir and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in canned veggies and broth: Stir in the canned tomatoes, chili beans, corn, green beans, and potatoes in the pot, then cover with the beef broth.
- Simmer: Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and then simmer for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Garnish: Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro or parsley and enjoy!
Can I Cook it in a Crockpot or Instant Pot?
Yes! This Cowboy Hamburger Soup can be cooked in both a slow cooker and an Instant Pot if that’s easier for you!
- Crockpot Cowboy Hamburger Soup: Before adding your ingredients to the slow cooker, go ahead and brown your meat and sauté your onions in two tablespoons of oil. Once cooked, add those to your slow cooker along with all of your other ingredients and cook on low for 4-5 hours.
- Instant Pot Cowboy Hamburger Soup: To cook this in the instant pot, add your meat and onions and sauté with two tablespoons of oil until the meat is browned and the onions are translucent. Then, add in the rest of the ingredients and cook on “manual” for 20 minutes. Then, do a slow release.
Here are a few ideas on how you can easily switch up this soup. Depending on what ingredients you have on hand at home, this Cowboy Hamburger Soup can be different every time!
- Use Different Vegetables: Switch this soup up easily by using different vegetables! Some that I like to add in are bell peppers, chopped zucchini, or peas!
- Turn up the Heat: Red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, or even tabasco sauce garnished on top would make it spicy!
- Switch Up the Beans: I love the chili beans in this recipe because of the tomato sauce they come in. It adds so much flavor but feel free to use black or pinto beans.
Make it Ahead of Time
You can definitely make this Cowboy Hamburger Soup ahead of time. In fact, soups often taste even better when their flavors have had time to meld.
- In the Refrigerator: If you just want to make this soup a day or two ahead of time, then storing it in the fridge is the way to go! Once the soup has cooled, then store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- In the Freezer: After cooking and allowing the soup to cool down, transfer it to freezer-safe containers or resealable freezer bags. Be sure to leave some space at the top to account for expansion as the soup freezes. Then, label it with the date. The soup will last about 2-3 months.
- To Reheat: When you’re ready to use the frozen soup, simply thaw it in the refrigerator overnight. Once thawed, you can reheat it on the stovetop or in the microwave until it’s heated throughout.
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Cowboy Hamburger Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 celery sticks, thinly sliced
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- 14 ounces canned diced tomatoes, with juice
- 14 ounces canned diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 14 ounces canned chili beans, with juice
- 14 ounces canned corn, drained and rinsed
- 14 ounces canned green beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 yukon gold potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups beef broth
- cilantro or parsley, for garnish
- Add the olive oil to a large stock pot and heat over medium-high heat. Add the onions, carrots, and celery and cook until tender.
- Add the ground beef and cook until no longer pink.
- Next, add garlic, cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt, and pepper. Stir and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the canned tomatoes, chili beans, corn, green beans, and potatoes in the pot, then cover with the beef broth.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro or parsley and enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.