I think lemon bars are a love or hate relationship. You either love them or you don’t. I for one, LOVE a good lemon bar. My hubby on the other hand hates them. So I knew that making these in North Carolina for a group of guys was the perfect opportunity. I wouldn’t be the only one eating them. 🙂
These turned out amazing. The shortbread cookie layer on the bottom was perfect. The lemon layer in the middle was tangy and the powdered sugar on top gave it the perfect sweet finishing touch. All of the guys loved them. I even got my lemon bar hater husband to try them. He said they were good! Maybe I can turn him into a lover of lemon bars!
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- ⅔ cup confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 cups plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- Additional confectioners' sugar for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and confectioners' sugar until blended. Slowly beat in 1½ cups flour.
- Press into the bottom of a greased 13x9 pan and bake for 18-20 minutes until golden brown.
- While baking, in a small bowl whisk eggs, sugar, lemon juice and remaining 3 T flour until frothy. Pour over the hot crust.
- Bake an additional 20-25 minutes until the top is lightly brown. Cool completely on a wire rack. Dust the top with additional confectioners' sugar. Cut into bars and refrigerate leftovers.