Full of fall flavor this deliciously sweet Apple Bread with hints of seasonal spices is a perfectly tender bread. Each bite is packed with chunks of apple with hints of cinnamon and vanilla. Make this your new fall favorite indulgence.
The Best Apple Bread Recipe
Fall baking is one of my absolute favorite times to be in the kitchen. It’s Aimee Mars and preparing all the seasonal baked goods that fill my kitchen with warm and spicy scents are some of the most heartwarming. Just when the apples come into season I always have to prepare a batch of this delicious apple bread.
This really is the best apple bread recipe with its simplicity and super soft texture. Spread some creamy butter over a slice of warmed bread and you’ll be in fall heaven.
What Are the Best Apples for Making Apple Bread?
When baking it’s best to choose a tart and crisp apple version instead of a sweet one. This helps to balance the flavor so the apple bread isn’t overly sweet. The best options are Honeycrisp or Granny Smith. These apples can be found year-round too if you’re looking to make this bread outside of the fall season.
Can You Freeze Apple Bread?
Yes. In order to freeze the bread let it cool completely before wrapping it in plastic wrap, aluminum foil, or a freezer bag. If using foil or plastic wrap double wrap it to ensure no air gets in.
Do the Apples Have to be Peeled?
Yes. Unfortunately, the peel will begin to separate from the apple during the baking process that will not only create air pockets but also an unappetizing texture. To peel the apples quickly I prefer to use a potato peeler and then just slice them into chunks using a knife.
Ingredients in Apple Bread:
The simple ingredients in this apple bread recipe are all pantry staples and ones you likely already have on hand. I recommend stocking up on all of them because they’re common ingredients in many delicious fall recipes.
- Spices: cinnamon and nutmeg
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Vanilla Extract
How to Make Apple Bread:
This deliciously decadent bread is super simple to prepare and will make your kitchen smell like fall. Follow these simple steps to prepare 2 loaves.
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350ºF and grease a 9×5 loaf pan and cover with parchment paper.
- Mix the dry ingredients: In a medium bowl whisk the flour, sugar, spices, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together until well combined.
- Combine the wet ingredients: Whisk the eggs, oil, and vanilla together in a large bowl until smooth. Pour the dry mixture into the wet and use a spoon to combine (the mixture will be thick). Fold the chopped apples into the batter.
- Cook: Pour the batter into the prepared pan and place in the oven to bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Tips For Making the Best Apple Bread:
- Once you’ve prepared the batter place it immediately in the prepared pan and then bake it. Letting the batter stand for a bit can sometimes cause the cooked bread to not rise all the way.
- Don’t overmix the wet ingredients. Once the ingredients appear to be combined stop whisking them and move on to the next step. Over mixing can cause the bread to be too dense and heavy.
- Be careful to not underbake your bread. Each oven has it’s own temperature settings so make sure to test the center with a toothpick. If it comes out clean then it’s ready, if not place it back in the oven for an additional 10 minutes.
- Try to avoid opening the oven until you’re sure it’s fully baked. Sometimes a draft can cause the bread to fall if it’s not close to being done.
Options For Adding a Topping:
- Vanilla Glaze: In a small bowl whisk together 1 cup of powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon of vanilla, and 1 to 2 tablespoons (depending on how thick you want it) of heavy cream. Pour over the bread once it’s cooled.
- Cream Cheese Frosting: Place ½ cup (1 stick) of unsalted butter at room temperature, 8 ounces of softened cream cheese, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, and 4 cups of powdered sugar into a mixer and combine until smooth. Spread a thick layer over the bread after it’s cooled completely.
- Cinnamon Sugar: Place ¼ cup sugar and 1 tablespoon of cinnamon in a small bowl and stir to combine. Sprinkle the mixture over the top of the bread before placing it into the oven.
- Cinnamon Apple Butter: This simple spread will take this bread to the next level!
More Delicious Apple Recipes to Try:
If you love apples as much as I do then you’ll definitely want to try some of these delicious recipes that are guaranteed to fill your kitchen with fall scents.
- Apple Butter
- Apple Dump Cake
- Perfect Apple Pie
- Old Fashioned Apple Cobbler
- Brown Sugar Cinnamon Baked Apples
- 3 cups Flour
- 2 cups Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 4 large Eggs room temperature
- 1 cup Oil
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups Apples chopped and peeled (about 2 medium)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and grease and line 2 9x5 loaf pans with parchment paper. Then grease the paper.
- In a large bowl whisk the flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together and set aside.
- In a separate bowl whisk the eggs, oil, and vanilla. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and stir to combine (the mixture will be thick).
- Gently fold the apples into the batter and divide between the two prepared pans.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool the bread in the pans for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to finish cooling.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.