Better than take out Orange Chicken that is baked to perfection and will blow your mind!
There is one thing that is rough about being here this summer in North Carolina. My car is back in Utah and we only have one car here to share. My hubby usually takes it to work, so we are usually stuck here. I have had to get pretty creative with activities and luckily we have a pool here. But I am sure counting down the days until we get back to Utah. We are starting to go stir crazy! I was craving chinese food for lunch. Luckily I could make something at home that is WAY better than takeout!
Every single time I make this chicken I die. And I wanted to make an Orange Chicken Version of it. My collection of better than take out recipes just wouldn’t be complete without it. I wanted the orange flavor to pull through and taste just like it would at a restaurant. It sure did. And I honestly was in heaven eating this. The thoughts that came to my mind were, “Holy cow I am eating PF Changs right in my house!” and “Oh man, this is way better than take out!”
I mean just look at it! Doesn’t it look amazing!?
I love all of my baked chinese recipes. The sweet and sour, the firecracker, and baked honey sesame chicken. There is something about baking this and how the chicken browns in the oven and is so tender! The sauce is given time to thicken up and you have a big pan to feed a crowd! This is one of my favorite things to serve people because of their reaction of how amazing it is and how it tastes better than takeout! I have perfected the technique and could probably make it now with my eyes closed. They are all amazing just with different flavors.
If there is one thing you make from my blog. Make this with a side of fried rice. You will never go back to take out!
I have created a video for you with Ashlee Marie of the cooking process! You can skip to the Orange Chicken sauce at 2:19 or straight to the baked chicken technique at 6:52!
More Better than Takeout Recipes:
- Baked Honey Sesame Chicken
- Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Baked Firecracker Chicken
- Better than Takeout Chicken Fried Rice
- Better than Takeout Ham Fried Rice
Baked Orange Chicken
- 3-4 chicken breasts boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1½ cup cornstarch
- 3 eggs beaten
- ¼ cup canola oil
Orange Chicken Sauce Ingredients:
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sriracha
- 3 Tablespoons White Vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons Apple Cider VInegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 Tablespoon Grated Orange Peel
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Cut chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces and season with salt and pepper.
- In separate bowls, place cornstarch and slightly beaten eggs. Dip chicken into cornstarch then coat in egg mixture. (yes you dip the chicken first in the cornstarch. I promise this method is amazing.)
- Heat canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook chicken until browned. Place the chicken in a 9 x 13 greased baking dish.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together brown sugar, orange juice, sriracha, apple cider vinegar, grated orange peel, white vinegar, soy sauce, garlic salt, and cornstarch. Pour over chicken and bake for 1 hour.
- I stir the chicken every 15 minutes so that it coated them in the sauce.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.