Hey Recipe Critic Readers!! It’s Jenn, from Eat Cake For Dinner, how is everyone? It’s September, yay!!! I love this time of the year. I can’t wait to start making pumpkin recipes, soups and lots of comfort food. For now, I have a really easy and super tasty breakfast recipe.
This was a clean out the fridge breakfast that turned out to be AMAZING and something that I would eat over and over again. I had spinach leftover from this Easy Weeknight Bowtie Pasta, salsa leftover from this Slow Cooker Fiesta Chicken, tortillas leftover from these Chicken Enchiladas and a little sausage leftover from biscuits and gravy. I hate wasting food, so I try to find up ways to use up every last thing. Stuffing everything inside a tortilla is the perfect way to use up all those ingredients.
Baked taquitos are my FAVORITE. There is no reason to fry a taquito ever again, okay!! They get plenty crispy by baking them and they are so much healthier that way. These breakfast taquitos were fantastic.
Baked Sausage, Spinach and Egg Breakfast Taquitos
A baked taquito that is crispy on the outside and loaded with flavorful breakfast ingredients on the inside.
- 1/2 Lb sausage
- 2 cups spinach fresh, chopped
- 1/3 cup diced green bell pepper
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tablespoon Feta cheese crumbled
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese shredded, any flavor (Cheddar, Pepper Jack, Monterey, etc. . . )
- 1/2 cup salsa plus more for serving
- 7 medium tortillas corn or flour
- cooking spray
- kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Brown sausage in a large skillet over medium heat. When sausage is almost cooked through, add the chopped spinach and bell pepper and saute for a few minutes. Crack eggs into a bowl, whisk and add to skillet. Stir occasionally until eggs are just barely cooked through. Remove from heat and stir in the Feta cheese.
- Microwave tortillas for 30 seconds or until pliable. Divide filling between tortillas. Top each with a little shredded cheese and salsa. Roll up tightly and place, seam-side down, on a baking sheet that has been lined with foil (this makes for a much easier clean up). Spray tops of taquitos lightly with cooking spray and sprinkle with a little kosher salt. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until crispy. Serve with extra salsa for dipping. Makes 7 taquitos.