Butternut Squash Soup is rich, creamy, savory, and just like a warm hug in a bowl. Classic fall flavor welcomes in the cooler weather with a perfect blend of spices and ingredients.
Serve it with a side of Parmesan Roasted Vegetables and Homemade Rolls for a perfect Autumn or winter meal.
Butternut Squash Soup
This soup is guaranteed to warm you up from the inside out, with it’s velvety, smooth, rich flavor, it’ll be a family favorite. The best part is it’s actually quite good for you. Packed with veggies, this tastes so good you’ll forget it’s practically healthy.
Butternut Soup is quick and easy. The most time consuming part is peeling and cutting your squash and veggies. But it’s well worth it and you can always use pre-chopped or shredded ingredients. It’s an awesome make ahead, and freeze for later soup. And it is excellent with any meal.
All you need for Soup Ingredients
- Butternut Squash: Cube a 3 pound squash, keep the cubes the same size.
- Celery: I like to chop them pretty finely for easy cooking.
- Onion: use yellow or white onion chopped finely.
- Carrots: Shred the carrots or buy pre shredded carrots
- Granny Smith Apple: Don’t leave out! The tartness from the granny smith adds a subtle, but delightful flavor. You don’t want to substitute it either.
- Vegetable Stock: Beef and Chicken broth can both be used with great success.
- Fresh Thyme: I love fresh thyme it adds such a nice sophisticated taste.
- Pinch of Cinnamon: just a pinch will do, don’t want to over spice it with cinnamon.
- Salt and Pepper: Add to taste
- Heavy Cream: This is optional, but adds richness and velveti-ness.
Making Butternut Soup Recipe
Super simple to assemble and has so much flavor!
- Cook: In a large pot add in the butternut squash, celery, onion, carrots, apple and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Let simmer until squash is fork tender. Takes about 20 minutes.
- Spice: Add in the thyme, cinnamon, and salt and pepper.
- Blend: Use an immersion blender to blend till smooth and creamy. You can also blend in small batches in a blender. Add more salt and pepper if needed. Then add the cream if desired.
Butternut Soup Tips and Variations
This a great base soup to add variations and with a few tips it’ll be luscious every time.
- Roast: To add an extra nutty flavor roast the butternut squash before hand and add it right before you blend the soup.
- Chop: Be sure the squash is cut to the same size for even cooking.
- Pre-Chopped: Peeling and chopping your own butternut squash can be time consuming and tough. Use pre-chopped squash for easiness.
- Flavor Twist: For a Mexican twist omit the thyme and add a 1 ½ teaspoon cumin and half a teaspoon chipotle chili powder. Serve with chopped cilantro. For a Thai flavor add a tablespoon of red curry paste and about half a teaspoon of ground ginger.
- Extras: To add extra texture add some rice, quinoa, or orzo to the soup.
Toppings For Butternut Squash Soup
Top your soup to add zing and pizazz.
- Cheese: Butternut squash goes great with cheddar, feta, blue cheese and Monterey jack. Try them all.
- Nuts: For crunch try toasted pepitas, almond slices or pecans.
- Bacon: Bacon crumbles are super savory and fun.
- Croutons: Try homemade croutons for add flavor and crunch.
- Fridge: This stores beautifully in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Freezer: Butternut squash soup freezes extremely well, freeze in a gallon ziploc bag or container for up to 3 months. When ready to use, thaw slowly in a pot on the stove and then add the cream and toppings as desired.
More Amazing Creamy Warm soups
Nothing is better on a cold day than a warm creamy bowl of soup.
- Creamy Asparagus Soup
- Tomato Basil Soup
- Pumpkin Soup
- Creamy Sausage Tortellini Soup
- Creamy Chicken Broccoli Soup
Butternut Squash Soup
- 3 pounds butternut squash cubed
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 Granny Smith apple chopped
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- pinch of cinnamon
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream optional
- In a large pot add the butternut squash, celery, onion, carrots, apple, and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Let simmer until squash is fork tender about 20 minutes.
- Add in thyme, cinnamon, and salt and pepper and using an immersion blender (or blender) blend until smooth and creamy. Use additional salt and pepper if needed. Add heavy cream if desired.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
This soup was phenomenal. Easy to make, stores well and became a favorite of everyone I served it to. I used just a few light shavings of gruyere and crumbled bacon bits for the garnish which was more for presentation than anything else. Use the cream. It makes it much richer.
It tastes so good guys! highly recommend!!!
Silly but do you leave skin on squash like you do for zucchini soup?
Not silly at all. Thank you for asking. Either way is great. You can leave it on or you are welcome to boil the squash and have it removed.