Sausage and cabbage is the easiest skillet recipe to throw together! In minutes, you’ll have a tasty meal loaded with amazing meaty flavor and texture!
Skillet recipes are so quick and tasty with easy cleanup! They’re a great way to satisfy the family with minimal effort. Skillet lasagna, queso chicken, and French onion chicken are all absolutely delicious recipes you’ve got to try out next!
Easy Skillet Sausage and Cabbage Recipe
This skillet sausage and cabbage recipe is so flavorful with tender veggies and juicy pieces of meat. If you’re looking for meals to make in a pinch, it doesn’t get much easier than this! Besides, it’s all made in one pot which makes cleanup a breeze! And as if you needed more reason to make it, this recipe is low-carb and keto-friendly. Nothing like a yummy, satisfying dinner that won’t break your diet! To be honest, cabbage is a highly underrated vegetable. Not only is it packed with fiber and vitamins, but it tastes great, too! All you need is a pinch of spice to really make it shine! It’s the MVP of soups and skillets.
As simple as this recipe is, it really packs a punch! The cabbage gets so juicy and tender, enhanced with the flavors of garlic and red pepper. And I mean, come on, can you ever go wrong with sausage? You can use your favorite kind here, whether that be chorizo, hot sausage, bratwurst, you name it! Cabbage tastes great with just about any flavor! Sauteed sausage and cabbage are so delicious together and a great way to use up leftovers in your fridge at the end of the week. You’re going to love it!
What Do I Need to Make It?
For those nights when you want something that’s delicious and won’t break the bank, this meal is the answer! Sausage and cabbage use super inexpensive, super simple ingredients that you probably already have in your fridge. Plus, it tastes amazing! It’s a total win-win! Measurements can all be found in the recipe card below.
- Sliced Sausage: I used regular pork sausages here, but these can be easily swapped out to taste! See more flavor suggestions below in my tips section.
- Vegetable Oil: Used for frying.
- Minced Garlic: Garlic does a lot of the heavy lifting here! It gives both the cabbage and sausage slices the perfect boost of savory flavor.
- Cabbage: Cabbage has a great mild flavor and soft texture, perfect for skillet dishes!
- Salt: Makes the flavor of sausage and cabbage really pop!
- Red Pepper Flakes: Adds just a hint of spice, perfect for balancing the savory flavor of garlic.
Making Sausage and Cabbage
Being able to prepare dinner all in one pan is easily the highlight of this sausage and cabbage recipe. It’s beyond easy, but sooo good! Once you get everything sizzling to perfection in your skillet, you won’t be able to resist a test-try.
- Brown Sausage: Heat oil in a skillet, brown sausage. Remove to a bowl.
- Saute Garlic and Cabbage, Add Sausage: Add garlic to the remaining fat in the pan and brown for 30 seconds before adding the cabbage. Sauté for 3-5 minutes. Once it starts to cook down, add the sausage back in the pan.
- Add Seasonings and Serve: Next, add salt and red pepper flakes and cook for another 3-5 minutes, until the cabbage starts to brown and wilt. Serve immediately.
This sausage and cabbage recipe is best served fresh for that amazing, tender texture. However, leftovers can be stored and enjoyed for a few days after cooking.
- In the Refrigerator: Stored properly in an airtight container, your skillet sausage and cabbage will last for up to 4 days.
- Reheating: To keep your cabbage from becoming soggy, I recommend reheating over the stove on medium heat until warmed through.
Tips and Tasty Variations
Because sausage and cabbage is such a simple recipe, you can easily throw in extras to amplify the flavor! Here are a few tips on making this tasty dish even better! It’s a hearty meal the whole family will love.
- Picking Cabbage: When you’re shopping for cabbage, look for a head that is heavy, firm, and without any brown spots or blemishes.
- Switch Up Sausage: Changing the sausage you use is a super easy way to alter the whole flavor of the dish! If you want more heat, try andouille sausage! Bratwursts, Kielbasa, chorizo, and Italian sausage are more great substitutions to try. Use your favorite!
- Additions: I’ll sometimes add in chopped onions, bell peppers, (or anything else left in my fridge) to give this skillet extra flavor and texture!
Cabbage and Sausage
- 12 ounces sausage sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small head cabbage chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Heat oil in a skillet, brown sausage. Remove to a bowl.
- Add garlic to the remaining fat in the pan and brown for 30 seconds before adding the cabbage. Sauté for 3-5 minutes. Once it starts to cook down, add the sausage back to the pan. Add salt and red pepper flakes and cook for another 3-5 minutes, until the cabbage starts to brown and wilt.
- Serve immediately.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.