Chicken broccoli and rice casserole is a delicious, easy, family-friendly dish! It is creamy and filled with flavors that perfectly complement each other! You will love it!
This recipe is amazingly delicious and you can’t beat a homemade casserole! After you’ve tried this one, go ahead and make Cowboy Casserole, Corn Casserole, or this yummy Sausage and Biscuit Casserole. You will love them all!
Simple and Delicious Casserole
I love a good casserole! There are so many out there that it’s hard to know which ones are worth trying. To help me figure that out, it has to check off a few boxes! It must be simple, quick, and easy to make and not have too many ingredients. Oh, and it has to be delicious! But that goes without saying. This chicken and rice casserole has classic ingredients like this homemade cream of chicken soup that I not only love but that my kids go crazy over! And, if you really want to go above and beyond, then you should make this amazing dessert to go with it. Your family will thank you later!
With a bunch of ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen, this casserole is something you can make at the last minute! I love that it’s all made in one pan and cooked together all at once. You get your grains, protein, and vegetables in one! This saves me from having to make more sides for dinner and is what makes this perfect for those on the go nights! Once you try it, it will definitely become a family favorite!
Ingredients in Broccoli and Rice Chicken Casserole
Like I said before, the ingredients in this are probably already things that you have in your kitchen! This makes it so simple to put together! See the recipe card below for a list of exact ingredient measurements.
- Butter: Because you are adding salt later, I like to use unsalted butter for this recipe.
- Onion: Chop up your onion into pieces similar in size so that it cooks evenly.
- Broccoli florets: Chop these up big or small, you can do whatever is best for your family to eat!
- Rice: You will cook this up before mixing it in with all of the other ingredients.
- Cream of chicken soup: You can use store-bought or you can try making this delicious homemade cream of chicken soup.
- Sour cream: This helps give the dish that creamy texture.
- Milk: Using milk will help to mix all of the ingredients together.
- Salt and pepper: Adding these in will help enhace the flavors of all of the other ingredients and give it some additional flavoring!
- Garlic powder: I looooove the flavor of garlic! It adds a lot of delicious flavor to this recipe!
- Cooked chicken: I used a rotissarie chicken but you can also cook up some chicken breast or use canned chicken in a pinch as well!
- Panko: When you mix this with the butter, it creates the perfect topping that will get crispy and golden while it bakes!
- Parmesan: Adds in the perfect flavor to top the casserole.
- Butter: You will melt the butter to use in the topping and mix with with the cheese and bread crumbs!
How to Make Broccoli and Rice Chicken Casserole
This casserole can be made in about 30 minutes! It’s the perfect last-minute meal that your whole family will go crazy over!
- Preheat and sauté: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium sized saucepan add the butter and onion and sauté over medium high heat until almost tender. Add in the broccoli and sauté until they start to soften about 3-4 minutes.
- Combine: In a large bowl combine the broccoli and onion, rice, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, milk, salt, pepper, garlic powder and chicken.
- Put in casserole dish: Spread evenly into a 9×13 inch casserole dish.
- Combine, sprinkle and bake: Combine the Panko, parmesan, and butter. Sprinkle on top of casserole and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown on top and heated through.
Variations to Try
This broccoli and rice chicken casserole is perfect as is but if you want to cook it more often, you can easily switch a few things up and make it taste fresh and new every time! Here are a few ideas!.
- Vegetables: Try switching out the broccoli for other vegetables that you like! Carrots, peas, green beans or any ones that you really love! Or, you can even add a few more to the broccoli! Just make sure that you adjust the amounts. For example, if you add in one ingredient, make it 2 cups of each. If you want to use 4 veggies, add 1 cup of each!
- Rice: You can switch the white rice out for brown rice if you like that better. It will alter the taste a bit but be jst as yummy. Make sure to follow the directions on the rice that you are using because brown rice takes a bit longer to cook!
How to Store Leftovers
This broccoli and rice chicken casserole is just as good (if not better!) the next day! Here is how you can store it and reheat it for later!
- Refrigerator: Once your casserole has cooled then store it in an airtight container and place it in your fridge. It will last for 3-4 days!
- Reheat: To reheat your leftovers, place individual servings on plates and microwave them on high for 1- 2 minutes or until heated through.
Broccoli and Rice Chicken Casserole
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion chopped
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 cups rice cooked
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 can cream of chicken soup OR homemade cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups cooked chicken (rotisserie chicken works great)
- 1/2 cup Panko
- 2 Tablespoons parmesan
- 3 Tablespoons butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium-sized saucepan add the butter and onion and sauté over medium-high heat until almost tender. Add in the broccoli and sauté until they start to soften about 3-4 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine the broccoli and onion, rice, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, milk, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and chicken.
- Spread evenly into a 9×13 inch casserole dish.
- Combine the Panko, parmesan, and butter. Sprinkle on top of casserole and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown on top and heated through.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
Chedder cheese was listed on the ingredient list but not in the step by step instructions.
I assume it’s mixed in a bowl with the rest of the ingredients before putting in the baking dish.
I used 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup instead of 1 can cream of chicken soup and sour cream because that’s what I had on hand.
It was very good.
I like the light panko topping.
A very versatile dish.
The recipe doesn’t show the amounts per ingredient
See the recipe card at the bottom of the post for all of the ingredient measurements!
Can this casserole be frozen?
I haven’t tried this before but you could try mixing the ingredients together and then put them in a casserole dish. Cover it with an airtight lid. When you are ready to bake it, let it thaw in your fridge overnight, and then bake according to the instructions. Let me know how it turns out!
This was the best casserole that I eat,made it and this will be my favorate recipe from now on
thank you for sharing it with us.and may God bless you.
I didn’t see the shredded cheese listed in the recipe steps so I added it when I added the chicken, etc to the mix. Easy recipe, nice flavors