So not only are we celebrating with cupcakes, but we are celebrating with super moist and fluffy chocolate cupcakes topped with none other than the most amazing cream cheese chocolate chip cookie dough frosting! That’s right. Cookie dough…. as a frosting.
Don’t worry it’s completely safe to eat, no raw eggs in this recipe! Phew.
Chocolate Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Cookie Dough Frosting
So not only are we celebrating with cupcakes, but we are celebrating with super moist and fluffy chocolate cupcakes topped with none other than the most amazing cream cheese chocolate chip cookie dough frosting! That’s right. Cookie dough…. as a frosting
- 1 box Devil's Food Cake Mix
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup greek yogurt may sub sour cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2-3 cups powdered sugar
- milk as needed
- 1/3 cup mini semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and put cupcakes liners in muffin tins.
- In a medium bowl whisk cake mix, cocoa powder, and baking powder. In a second larger bowl, combine vegetable oil, eggs, buttermilk, greek yogurt, and vanilla and mix well. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and whisk until mostly smooth (a few little lumps are okay). Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake for 19-22 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
- While cupcakes are cooling prepare the frosting. In a medium bowl cream butter, cream cheese, and brown sugar for 2-3 minutes until very fluffy. Add flour and salt and mix well. Add vanilla and powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, mixing well after each. Use milk 1 tablespoon at a time if need to thin to desired consistency. Stir in chocolate chips. Spread frosting on cooled cupcakes.