Zucchini is my favorite summer vegetable. So I was sad that we were in North Carolina and I couldn’t have a garden back in Utah waiting for me with thousands of zucchini. Luckily our neighbors have a beautiful garden and are more than willing to share. So you have no excuse not to make this amazing bread. I am sure that you have a neighbor with an over abundance of zucchini just waiting to give to you. 🙂
HOLY COW! This bread will rock your world. I have never made a quick bread that baked so incredibly perfect. It was so moist and rich with chocolate. It is awesome that it is packed with 1 1/2 cups of zucchini inside. The tiny green flecks make it look so pretty. But the brown sugar cinnamon crust on top. Wow. This is more like a dessert. But I think it isn’t quite in the dessert group because of the zucchini. So it is still a little heathy right? My picky anti veggie 5 year old gobbled down a piece. I just smiled knowing that he was eating zucchini. 🙂
Chocolate Zucchini Bread
A delicious chocolate quick bread with 1 1/2 cups of zucchini inside! It bakes perfectly and has a beautiful cracked sugar crust topping!
- 1 Cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 Cup canola oil
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 1/4 Cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 Cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 Cups zucchini grated
- 1/2 Cup mini chocolate chips
- zest from one orange optional
- 2 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoon white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a large 9" bread pan and set aside. Mix topping ingredients and set aside.
- Whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, cocoa powder in a small bowl until combined. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer or using a hand mixer, beat together sugars, oil, and eggs for about 1-2 minutes until slightly fluffy. Add vanilla and sour cream.
- Fold in the grated zucchini (and zest if using). Add the remaining dry flour ingredients. Stir to combine and lastly fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour into prepared 9" bread pan. Sprinkle the topping on the top. Bake for 50-60 minutes. I set a time for 45 minutes and mine was done at that time. Oven temperatures vary, so just make sure a toothpick entered in the center comes clean.
- Let cool for about 5-10 minutes and remove from pan. Delicious served a little warm, even with a little butter on top. 🙂