Coconut syrup is going to be your new favorite breakfast addition! It’s creamy, sweet, and will coat pancakes and waffles in delicious, nutty flavor.
Making homemade syrup is the best way to elevate breakfast. Once you try it, you’ll be hooked! You’ll have to make blueberry syrup, buttermilk syrup, or imitation maple syrup for your next breakfast feast!
Homemade Coconut Syrup Recipe
Nothing beats a home-cooked breakfast. Now, I love me a savory breakfast, but sweet pancakes, crepes, and waffles just have a special place in my heart. If you’re like me and love all things sweet, this is the recipe for you! This homemade coconut syrup is buttery and creamy with the absolute BEST nutty flavor. The one syrup to rule them all! I don’t think I’ll be able to make pancakes without it!
Really though, the best part about this coconut syrup recipe is the fact that it only takes 5 super simple ingredients to put together. As long as you’ve got the coconut extract, you likely have the rest! Good thing it’s so easy, you’re going to want to put it on everything. You can use this syrup on anything from french toast to ice cream to oatmeal for a boost of creamy, nutty, tropical flavor. It’s perfect for summer and tastes like a trip to Hawaii!
Coconut Syrup Ingredients
All it takes is buttermilk, coconut extract, and a few extra pantry staples to make this delicious syrup! You may want to double your batch; if your kids are anything like mine, they’ll drench everything in this. You can find measurements for each of the ingredients listed below in the recipe card at the end of the post.
- Butter: Both unsalted and salted butter work for this recipe. It adds the perfect rich flavor to the syrup.
- Granulated Sugar: Makes this coconut syrup sweet and delicious!
- Buttermilk: Did you know you can make buttermilk at home with just a few simple ingredients? It tastes better and is free of preservatives! Find my full recipe here.
- Coconut Extract: Gives this syrup that tasty coconut flavor! If you want to infuse your syrup with more delicious coconut flavor, add toasted coconut flakes to your butter mixture! You can either leave these in for a bit of texture or strain them out to keep your syrup smooth.
- Baking Soda: This is the secret ingredient to make your syrup perfectly smooth and soft.
Let’s Make Some!
It doesn’t get any easier than this, my friends, which is perfect because once you get a taste you’ll want to make it all the time. In less than 5 minutes, you’ll have nutty, buttery deliciousness ready to top all of your favorite breakfast treats!
- Melt Butter: In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add the butter and melt.
- Add in Sugar and Buttermilk: Whisk in the sugar and buttermilk and continue to whisk until it starts to boil.
- Remove From Heat, Mix in Remaining Ingredients: Remove the saucepan from the stove. Whisk in the coconut extract and baking soda. The mixture will foam up pretty high, so make sure to use a saucepan big enough.
Really, you can put this syrup on any sweet breakfast item, but pancakes are my favorite! Next time you’re cooking up breakfast, try these delicious pancake recipes out with your homemade syrup! The flavor is unmatched when you make them from scratch.
Good news- your coconut pancake syrup is great for leftovers! As long as it’s stored properly, you’ll be able to enjoy it for a week or two!
- In the Refrigerator: Store in an airtight container or jar. Your syrup will last for 1-2 weeks. The ingredients may settle, so pop your syrup in the microwave for 15-30 seconds and give it a quick stir before use.
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cup Buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon Coconut Extract
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- Remove the saucepan from the stove. Whisk in the coconut extract and baking soda. The mixture will foam up pretty high, so make sure to use a saucepan big enough.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.