The name says it all because this comeback sauce keeps you coming back for more again and again! It’s tangy, creamy, savory, and is perfect for using as a dip or a spread.
Don’t waste your money on store bought sauces, you can make them at home with just a few pantry staples! Copycat Cane’s sauce, Chick-fil-A sauce, and fry sauce are just a few great recipes to start off with.
What is Comeback Sauce?
If your family is as dip-obsessed as mine, they are going to go crazy over this recipe. Comeback sauce is a tangy, spicy dipping sauce that originated in Mississippi. It’s the perfect combo of mayo, ketchup, chili sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce. It’s great for dipping fries, chicken tenders, and even vegetables in. Trust me, once you try it, you’ll be hooked and always want to have some on hand for your next snack attack!
This comeback sauce recipe is similar to New Orleans remoulade, just minus the mustard and added spices. It whips up in minutes and will have your family coming back for more! It’s great for dipping or even using as a spread for things like wraps and burgers. Also, make sure to store any leftovers! It’s the sauce that never stays away for too long, always finding its way back to your plate. Looking for more delicious homemade dips? Find my full list of recipes here.
Ingredients for Mississippi Comeback Sauce
The beauty of homemade dipping sauces is that you can tweak the flavor just to your liking. This is the combination of ingredients I used, but feel free to switch things up and make this comeback sauce your own! If you’re looking for exact measurements, they can all be found in the recipe card below.
- Mayonnaise: Acts as a creamy base for the sauce.
- Chili Sauce: I used Heinz chili sauce, but feel free to use your favorite brand! Sriracha will also work as a substitute.
- Ketchup: Adds flavor and a touch of sweetness.
- Honey: I love adding honey because it balances the flavors perfectly.
- Hot Sauce: I usually use either Tabasco or Frank’s.
- Worcestershire Sauce: Adds so much delicious flavor!
- Seasonings: I added onion powder and garlic powder, but you can also add things like smoked paprika or a pinch of chili powder if you want it to be spicier.
- Kosher Salt: Add to taste. I prefer using kosher salt over table salt because it doesn’t have a bitter aftertaste.
How to Make Comeback Sauce at Home
Making homemade comeback sauce is a breeze! Simply mix all of your ingredients together in a bowl and voila! You have the perfect condiment. It’s a great way to add a little southern flair to your next meal. Give it a try and impress your friends and family with your homemade sauce-making skills.
- Combine Ingredients: In a medium bowl, add the mayonnaise, chili sauce, ketchup, honey, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt. Then whisk all of the ingredients together until smooth.
- Store: Cover tightly with plastic wrap, or store in another airtight container. Then refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve: Enjoy with French fries, chicken strips, as a spread, or serve as a dip with anything fried!
Adjusting the Flavor
I recommend using a hot sauce with vinegar and a cayenne base like Tabasco or Frank’s for your comeback sauce. Increase the amount if you want it spicier! If you have sriracha sauce on hand, you can also use that for a pop of spicy flavor.
What to Use Comeback Sauce For
Comeback sauce works so well for so many different things. It’s an amazing dipping sauce for chicken nuggets, tenders, fried fish, shrimp, and more! It’s also great for fries, onion rings, you name it! You can even use it as a salad dressing if you want to add a pop of savory, spicy flavor to your greens.
Amazing Air Fryer French Fries
Crispy Air Fryer Onion Rings
Be sure to save your leftovers! Comeback sauce is super versatile and useful to have on hand. I always like to use it with a quick and easy batch of air fryer French fries!
- In the Refrigerator: Store comeback sauce in an airtight jar for 4-5 days. Give it a quick stir before using.
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce (Heinz)
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon honey, to taste
- 1 tablespoon *hot sauce, to taste (Tabasco or Frank's)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, to taste
- In a medium bowl, add the mayonnaise, chili sauce, ketchup, honey, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt. Whisk all of the ingredients together until smooth.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap, or store in an airtight container. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Enjoy with french fries, chicken strips, as a spread, or serve as a dip with anything fried!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.