This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Corn Fritters are the best combination of savory tastes that are cooked to golden brown perfection! Crispy on the outside with a soft and tender inside, these are insanely delicious!
These corn fritters are an excellent side dish that will go with just about anything! I absolutely love a unique side and these are exactly that! A few more side dishes that you MUST try are some of my favorites such as fried green tomatoes, bacon wrapped asparagus and roasted garlic carrots.
Corn Fritters Recipe
Corn fritters are fried cakes that have a thick batter with chopped vegetables that are fried to perfection! They are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside and incredibly delicious! They are super easy to make and can be used with fresh, frozen, or canned corn. Which makes this side dish something that you can make and add to your meals all year long! Corn fritters can be dipped in sauces, used as an appetizer, added in as a side, or even used at breakfast! Besides, everyone loves a recipe that can be used for any type of meal!
There are a few ways to make corn fritters unique and just perfect for you! In fact, I have included some variations at the end of this post. Corn fritters are a huge hit at our house and have quickly become one of the most requested side dishes that I make! My kids go crazy over them and they go fantastic with grilled shrimp, or hamburgers! If you do try them, be ready to make them again and again because they are THAT good!
Ingredients for Easy Corn Fritters
In order to make these corn fritters, you just need a few everyday ingredients. Most of which you will probably already have in your kitchen and pantry! See the recipe card below for exact ingredient measurements.
- Vegetable oil: If you have canola oil on hand, you can use that instead.
- Corn: You can use fresh corn or canned corn for this recipe.
- Flour: I used all purpose flour in this recipe.
- Cornmeal: Creating a bright flavor and color, the cornmeal helps to create that delicious and crispy outside!
- Baking powder: This helps create that soft texture in the inside of the corn fritter.
- Salt: Will enhance all of the other flavors!
- Paprika: Paprika is a sweet spice that adds a unique taste.
- Green onion: Green onions make this dish savory and are an excellent garnish.
- Milk: Use whole milk!
- Eggs: Eggs bind all of the ingredients together!
How to Make Corn Fritters
These corn fritters are easy to make and even more delicious to eat! Which is a good thing because you will be coming back to this recipe again and again.
- Simmer and Combine: In a medium sized skillet heat the oil over medium high heat until shimmering. In a medium sized bowl combine the corn, flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sat, paprika, green onion, milk and egg.
- Fry: Drop the batter with a 1/4 cup slowly into the oil. Fry on each side until golden for 2-3 minutes. Carefully remove with a spatula and serve.
The Best Corn Frittter Tips
Frying food is a simple and easy way to get a perfectly crisp shell on your food! Try using Here are a few easy tips to help you make these corn fritters absolutely perfect from the get-go!
- To get a crispy outside: HOT OIL. You want to make sure that you heat up the pan with about 1/8 inch of oil in the bottom of it. Heat the oil for a few minutes before attempting to fry your corn fritters. Once you put them in to cook, don’t overcrowd the pan. You will get crispier corn fritters if you only do a few at a time!
- Oil Temperature: If you have a deep fry thermometer, make sure that your oil doesn’t go higher than 365 degrees. This will be TOO hot and burn your fritters.
- Flatten them out: When you drop some batter into the oil, it will stay as a ball.Try and flatten it out with a spatula. This will help them cook more evenly.
Variations of Corn Fritters
The best part about corn fritters is that you can make them in a few different ways, dip them in a few different things, or mix and match them with different meals! Here are some suggestions on how you can switch them up so that if you are making them a lot, they taste different every time!
- Add protein: If you want to make these fritters the main course, try adding a little meat to them! Chopped up ham or bacon is delicious!
- Mexican style: Add in some jalepenos, cilantro and squeeze in some lime juice and you have a totally new and delicious taste!
- Toppings: Serve these with a variety of toppings! These ones have green onions but you could try adding in some sour cream. Or, if you want to make them sweeter, try them without the green onions and drizzle them with some maple syrup!
How to Store and Reheat Leftover Old Fashioned Corn Fritters
If you want to save some of these for later, here is how you can store and reheat them! They make delicious leftovers so you could even double the recipe and make your life easier for later!
- Refrigerator: You can tore them in an airtight container in your fridge for 3-5 days.
- Freezer: M ake sure that the corn fritters have fully cooled. Once they have, place them in an airtight container or resealable bag in a single layer (no stacking). Make sure to put the date on the container! You can freeze them for up to 2 months.
- Reheat: Make sure that you have thawed your frozen fritters overnight in your fridge. Using a tablespoon of oil in a pan, reheat them on both sides until they are warm and crispy!
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
- In a medium-sized skillet heat the oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. In a medium-sized bowl combine the corn, flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, paprika, green onion, milk, and egg.
- Drop the batter with a 1/4 cup slowly into the oil. Fry on each side until golden for 2-3 minutes. Carefully remove with a spatula and serve.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.