Air fryer-fried green tomatoes are insanely delicious! Crispy on the outside and tender and juicy on the inside, these tomatoes will knock your socks off!
Using an air fryer for these fried green tomatoes means that you can achieve that amazingly delicious taste with only a little bit of oil! Meaning that these are healthy and tasty! If you love these tomatoes, be sure to try these Grilled Tomatoes, Cheesy Stuffed Tomatoes with Sausage, and these yummy Parmesan Garlic Roasted Tomatoes!
Fried Green Tomatoes
I love my air fryer. The fact that I can now create all of my favorite fried food with less oil is nothing short of incredible! These fried green tomatoes are no exception! They are incredibly delicious with their crispy coating that has a savory flavor mixed with the tangy tomato taste. Then, when you bite into that juicy tender insides it just tastes like a little slice of heaven! They are so simple to make and because you can do them so quickly and without the mess, you can whip them up for an appetizer, aside, or even a quick snack!
All you have to do is slice them up, coat them, and pop them in the air fryer. Within 10 minutes, you will be eating these and never look back to cooking them any other way! Fried green tomatoes hail from the south and you will be hard-pressed to find a restaurant down there that doesn’t offer these beauties! But now you can make them in the comfort of your own home! Dip them in some Yum Yum Sauce or Homemade Ranch Dressing and you will be frying these up for days! And now that you have a recipe that doesn’t cook them in so much oil, you can eat this guilt-free! I know you will absolutely love them!
What You Need to Make Fried Green Tomatoes
Like I said, easy to do it on this dish! All you need is some green tomatoes and a few ingredients that are pantry staples and you are well on your way to enjoying this amazing snack! See the recipe card below for a list of exact ingredient measurements.
- Oil: This will be used for frying so you can use whichever type of oil that you have on hand or prefer!
- Green tomatoes: Make sure when you pick out your tomatoes that they are firm
- Eggs: These are used as part of the base to get your coating to stick to the tomatoes
- Milk: You will mix this with the eggs as part of the base.
- Flour: The flour is used to create a coating for the cornmeal and breadcrumbs.
- Salt and pepper: Used to flavor the tomatoes.
- Cornmeal and breadcrumbs:These two things will stick to your flour making what will soon to be your crispy outside shell!
- Parmesan: Add this for delicious flavor.
- Italian seasoning: You can use some that you have at home or if you really want to make this delicious, whip up this super easy homemade Italian seasoning
- Olive oil spray: This is to spray your tomatoes just before cooking so that they brown nicely.
How to Make Air Fryer Tomatoes
15 minutes is all you need from start to finish with these yummy fried green tomatoes. Plus, because you are using the air fryer, there are no oil splatter messes to clean up!
- Separate and Mix: In a small bowl add the eggs and whisk. Add in the milk. In another small bowl add the flour, salt and pepper. In another small bowl add the cornmeal, bread crumbs, and parmesan cheese.
- Coat: Dredge each tomato slice first in the eggs, then coat in the flour, and lastly the cornmeal mix. Add the tomatoes to the basket of an air fryer and spray the tops with olive oil spray.
- Cook and flip: Cook at 400 degrees in the air fryer for 5-6 minutes, then flip over and spray with olive oil and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
Tips for Air Frying
Whether you use an air fryer all the time or you never have and this is your first, I have come up with a few tips that will help you cook these fried green tomatoes! These tips make it easy and will soon become habits as you get more comfortable cooking with an air fryer. And soon enough, you will be enjoying delicious (and healthier!) fried food as much as you want!
- Don’t overlap: I know that it’s tempting to fit in the most food possible in your air fryer but don’t do it! Make sure that each tomato has its own place in the air fryer and that they don’t overlap at all! This will ensure that they all get as crispy as possible and don’t have soggy spots where they have been touching.
- Batter: When you coat them with the eggs and flour, don’t go too heavy on it. Shake them off before moving to the next stage so that each tomato has about the same amount on it. This will make sure they are all evenly cooked and done at the same time!
- Air fryer parchment paper: If you want an especially easy cleanup, you can buy some parchment paper that has holes in it for air flow that is specifially made for air fryers. This will help you be able to just take everthing out and wipe it all up super easily!
How to Store (and Freeze!) Leftovers
Air fryer-fried green tomatoes are best to be eaten the same day but, the great thing about using the air fryer is that you can make leftovers crispy again in no time!
- Refrigerator: You can store your leftover fried green tomatoes in an airtight container in your fridge for up to 3 days.
- Freezer: You can freeze your fried green tomatoes to eat for later! Cook them according to this recipe and let them cool completely. Place the slices on a parchment lined baking sheet (not touching) for an hour in the freezer. Remove the slices and place them in a plastic bag. Label the bag with the date and these can stay in your freezer for up to 12 months! No need to thaw them before reheating just put them frozen in your air fryer!
- Reheating: Set your airfryer to preheat at 350 degrees. Cook these for 5-6 minutes, flipping halfway. Enjoy!
Air Fryer Fried Green Tomatoes
- 4 large green tomatoes firm
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 Tablespoon grated parmesan
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- olive oil spray
- In a small bowl add the eggs and whisk. Add in the milk. In another small bowl add the flour, salt, and pepper. In another small bowl add the cornmeal, bread crumbs, and parmesan cheese.
- Dredge each tomato slice first in the eggs, then coat in the flour, and lastly the cornmeal mix. Add the tomatoes to the basket of an air fryer and spray the tops with olive oil spray.
- Cook at 400 degrees in the air fryer for 5-6 minutes, then flip over and spray with olive oil and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.