This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Cheesy Stuffed Tomatoes with Sausage are tomatoes stuffed with a hearty sausage and rice filling and topped with gooey cheese. These are a perfect way to use those sweet sun ripened tomatoes from the garden or the vine ripened tomatoes from the store.
Looking for more tasty ways to use up those garden tomatoes? Try these fresh ideas: Parmesan Garlic Roasted Tomatoes, Chilled Cucumber Tomato Salad, and don’t forget to try this Classic Fried Green Tomatoes before they all ripen.
Amazing Cheesy Stuffed Tomatoes with Sausage:
This is such a fun meal to serve because you get to eat the vehicle it comes in! It’s super easy and quick to throw together, yet it is sophisticated enough to serve at a nice get together with friends or family. It’s light and hearty at the same time, making it a perfect main dish. Serve with a nice salad and some crusty bread for a satisfying dinner or even brunch.
There’s just something about cooking tomatoes that brings out their plump juicy sweetness that makes them irresistible. Paired with the seasonings, rice, cheese and sausage it’s a perfect combination of little bit sweet and savory. It’s a comforting meal that mimics the flavors of pizza, but a much healthier version. It’s a unique main dish that will soon become a favorite.
Cheesy Stuffed Tomatoes with Sausage Ingredients:
The savory perfectly spiced filling balances out the tang and acidity of the tomatoes. It’s a surprisingly light and delicious meal, your loved ones will want more of.
- Tomatoes: Use large tomatoes all the same size
- Salt and Pepper: Just to taste
- Ground Sausage:
- Rice: Use long grain rice for great texture
- Colby Jack Cheese: You can use pre-shredded cheese for quicker prep
- Parmesan Cheese: This also comes pre-shredded for easy prep.
- Basil: Fresh basil is divine if you do use dried only use 1 Tablespoon.
- Italian seasoning: Adds just enough spice for amazing flavor.
How to make Stuffed Tomatoes:
- Prep Tomatoes: Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cut off the tops of the tomatoes and scoop out the insides being sure to leave a good edge all the way around. Place the tomatoes in a baking dish.
- Cook: In a medium skillet over medium high heat cook and crumble the sausage. Drain the grease and add to a bowl with the rice, one cup of the Colby jack cheese, Parmesan cheese, basil and Italian seasoning, stir to combine.
- Fill: Stuff each tomato with the mixture. Top them with the remaining Colby Jack cheese and bake 15-20 min.
Tips and Variations for Great Stuffed Tomatoes with Sausage:
- Tomatoes: Pick tomatoes that are firm so they don’t fall apart when you scoop out the insides. Beefsteak tomatoes are a favorite. Make sure they are the same size so ensure even cooking.
- Scoop: Use a melon baller or a grapefruit spoon to make getting the insides out easier. You want the shell intact as much as possible.
- Fill and Bake: If you have extra filling bake it in pan with the tomatoes, don’t over fill them. And don’t over cook the tomatoes, they’ll split. Fill the tomatoes but don’t overstuff. Excess filling can be baked in the pan next to the tomatoes if desired.
- Sausage: You can use a spicy sausage if you like a little more heat. Turkey or Chicken Sausage, ground beef or ground chicken can also be substituted.
- Cheese: You can mix up the cheese, try a sharp cheddar, Monterey jack, Gouda, or pepper jack for some kick.
- Rice: Try using brown rice or quinoa instead of white rice for a heartier meal. Try orzo pasta for different texture and taste.
Saving and Making Ahead these Amazing Stuffed Tomatoes:
- Make Ahead: Make the filling ahead of time and refrigerate till ready to stuff. You can even freeze the filling to use at a later time. Stuff the tomatoes right before your ready to bake, so they don’t get too soft.
- Storage: These scrumptious vitals are best served right out of the oven but they are almost better the next day as the flavors have had time to meld together. Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Reheat: Microwave until heated through, or place under the broiler or toaster oven for about 5 min.
More Tasty Stuffed Recipes:
It’s so fun to stuff already tasty foods with even more flavorful mixtures. Here are some yummy ones to try.
- Stuffed Poblano Peppers
- Homemade Stuffed Pizza Bites
- Taco Stuffed Avocados
- Three Cheese Stuffed Pasta Shells
- Sausage Stuffed French Bread Boats
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Cheesy Stuffed Tomatoes with Sausage
- 4 large tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 pound ground sausage
- 1 cup white rice cooked
- 1 1/2 cup Colby Jack cheese shredded and divided
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 2 Tablespoons basil chopped
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- In a medium sized skillet cook and crumble the sausage. Remove grease and add to a medium sized bowl with the rice, one cup colby jack cheese, parmesan cheese, basil and Italian seasoning.
- Use the mixture and stuff each tomato. Top with remaining cheese. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.